Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Omens - Amazon

Options
  • 06-03-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,969 ✭✭✭✭

Good Omens

Neil Gaiman to Adapt Novel ‘Good Omens’ as Amazon Series
    Amazon Studios will adapt Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s novel “Good Omens” into a six-episode limited series, the studio announced on Thursday.

The 2006 novel takes place in 2018 when the Apocalypse is near and Final Judgment is set to descend upon humanity.

Set to debut in 2018 on Prime Video, “Good Omens” will consist of six one-hour episodes entirely written by Gaiman, who will also serve as showrunner. (Veteran fantasy writer Pratchett died in March 2015.)

This marks the latest Gaiman novel to get turned into a TV series. Starz will premiere its adaptation of the best-selling author’s “American Gods” later this year. In addition, “Hamilton” producer Jeffrey Seller and his producing partner Flody Suarez are producing an adaptation of Gaiman’s “Interworld” for Universal Cable Productions.

According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter Witch — the world’s only completely accurate book of prophecies, within the universe of “Good Omens” — the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just before dinner.

So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, Atlantis is rising, and tempers are flaring. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan. Except Aziraphale, a somewhat fussy angel, and Crowley, a fast-living demon–both of whom have lived amongst Earth’s mortals since The Beginning and have grown rather fond of the lifestyle–are not actually looking forward to the coming war. And someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist.

http://www.thewrap.com/neil-gaiman-to-adapt-novel-good-omens-as-amazon-limited-series/
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Michael Sheen, David Tennant, John Hamm join the other previously cast Adria Arjona, Nina Sosanya, Jack Whitehall, Michael McKean, Miranda Richardson, Ned Dennehy and Ariyon Bakare

Nick Offerman joins

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/parks-and-recreation-nick-offerman-amazon-neil-gaiman-good-omens-1202719109/

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I can't wait for this, Good Omens is one of my all-time favourite books, and if the TV series is half as funny as the book it's going to be brilliant.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

I still lament that the Gilliam version with Robin Williams/pre-Pirates Johnny Depp as Aziraphael and Crowley fell apart. Would have been incredible.

This should be good though... Solid casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,969 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hopefully she uses her Minnesota accent from Fargo. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Everything I hear about this has ticked my boxes. Gaiman heavily involved, the pretty damn good trailer and....

That......

CAST!!!

That is the most perfecting casting I've ever seen on a show. First out of the gate: Tennant and Sheen. Amazeballs (As was the fashionable statement of the time)

Tennant
    Sheen
    John Hamm
    Derek Jacobi
    Paul Kaye
    Nick Offerman :)
    Jack Whitehall
    Miranda Richardson
    And did someone say Franses McDormand?

Jesus, you know casting is good when you can identify the characters they are playing if you know th source material.

I remember following Lord of The Rings closely when it was being made. I didn't know Orlando Bloom previously or Merry/Pippin actors but I knew the rest of the actors from previous stuff. The only thing I wasn't gone on was Stewart Townsend as Aragorn. Thought he was too young and pretty. Shortly after production began he was replaced with Mortensen and I thought? "The quiet guy from Witness? Yeah, he could do that". Same with the Harry Potter roles, whatever about the main trio there is no doubting that the adult casting was fantastic.

Goes to show how important casting is. Can you imagine Sean Connery as Gandalf? (First choice). Shudder!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Release date announced, 31 May 2019

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2019-02-14/good-omens-release-date-confirmed-amazon-prime-video/

And as if the cast wasn't already good enough, Benedict Cumberbatch will be Satan...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought this would air earlier than that! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brian Cox will voice Death.

Drops on Amazon on May 31st.

First trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we know if this is already marked as a Limited Series, or indeed will track the entire course of the book? Wasn't a particularly long novel, and given it revolves around a literal chase against the End Times, I can't see the story stretching that far into multiple runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

One series, six episodes, that's it done and dusted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good to hear; 6 episodes sounds about enough to cover the novel faithfully...

Well that's a bit ... weird.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that's a bit ... weird.

I thought of Monty Python straight off whilst watching that! Wonder if Gilliam is involved after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭corkie

Reminder: Airing on the 31st May!

Selection of New TV shows and returning shows. Just a small collection! (incl. up to 28th July).

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Watched the first two episodes and enjoying it.

Only 6 episodes in total.

This is on Amazon IE yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

pixelburp wrote: »
    This is on Amazon IE yeah?

Yep

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s due to get an airing on BBC Two later on in the year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Very disappointing IMO, which is a shame considering the cast. The narration was far too heavy handed, at times literally explaining what characters on the screen were doing. Either trust your audience to follow what's going on or find a better way to show it. The captioning of locations and how long until the end of the world also got really annoying,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

icdg wrote: »
    It’s due to get an airing on BBC Two later on in the year too.

Great, don't have Amazon :)

Any idea of when?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any idea of when?
    Not another 6 months by the looks of things..
    According to Gaiman it will then air weekly on BBC2 in the UK around six months later.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

Thought this looks absolutely rubbish myself

Only caught the first episode and I enjoyed it, despite the very intrusive narration. Some of it to be fair was quite funny, but most completely superfluous and felt like someone sitting beside you, stating the bleedin' obvious. The "swap" at the nunnery did not need a voiceover, and the worst example of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Loved Tennant in this, he chewed up the scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Just finished the 6 episodes.
    I think Tennant and Sheen carried this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

A very British piece of whimsy. I enjoyed it. Some of it worked, some not so much. The kids didn't work well for me at all and it got really bad when
    Adam held them prisoner in the forest.
    The voice over was very Hitchhikers Guide (Pratchett was very much the Adams of fantasy to me back when I read the Discworld novels so its not surprising) but then it's one I never read so maybe the book had this kind of narration. I don't know.

Highlight for me was the episode
    showing the two main characters meeting up throughout the ages
    . Would have liked more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

mewso wrote: »
    A very British piece of whimsy. I enjoyed it. Some of it worked, some not so much. The kids didn't work well for me at all and it got really bad when
    Adam held them prisoner in the forest.
    The voice over was very Hitchhikers Guide (Pratchett was very much the Adams of fantasy to me back when I read the Discworld novels so its not surprising) but then it's one I never read so maybe the book had this kind of narration. I don't know.

Highlight for me was the episode
    showing the two main characters meeting up throughout the ages
    . Would have liked more of that.

I agree about it feeling very Adamsy, the thing with THHG though is that in the tv and radio adaptations they were able to pass these little tangents off as excerpts from the titular book whereas here it's someone butting in. A lot of the narration is unnecessary, I think when Hastor and the other Demon first appear there's a bit about how they lurked and then lurked some more. AFAIK this is a direct lift from the book where it works because it's describing a scene the reader cannot see with a bit of humour whereas in the show we can see them arrive, we can see them lurking. It was like a weird audio description for the blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

MargeS wrote: »
    Just finished the 6 episodes.
    I think Tennant and Sheen carried this.

Just finished it as well, would agree. A lot of the rest of the characters didn't really hold my interest but a friend who's a big Terry Pratchett fan said it's stuck fairly close to book so guess that's just his style.

Advertisement