Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapua Ammunition

• 18-05-2019 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Anybody shooting Lapua Match in .308?
    Where do you get it and how much?
    Online listings aren't much use and I wouldnt mind a steer before I pull out the yellow pages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭alanmc

Only ever seen Hilltop advertising Lapua rimfire. Never seen any Lapua factory centrefire ammo for sale here.
    Might be worth giving them a buzz though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had Lapua in .243 I got from Duffys in Galway.
    Can't give you details, my brain is mush, but I don't recall it being bad. I just ended up using another brand for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Here in yUK it's £94.95/50 for the 155gr .308Win stuff and way north of £100/50 for the 168gr.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rifter

Looks like ill be looking at other match ammunition so..... if only there were a way I could reproduce the quality of match ammunition myself.... 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭alanmc

I've had very good results from the Hornady ELD Match stuff in both 155 gr and 168 gr. Not cheap though at ~ €50/20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Rifter wrote: »
    Looks like ill be looking at other match ammunition so..... if only there were a way I could reproduce the quality of match ammunition myself.... ��

Go live nearer to the Midlands and join in the group that DOES reload. It'll be cheaper to do that than to buy Lapua Match stuff...:) That Hornady stuff at ~eu250/100 is even more expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I used Lapua ammo a few years back and stopped. The cost was not pocket friendly, but more than that it was a little inconsistent which i found incredulous due to the brand name. Had a few dropped shots that if i were not using a Chronograph i would have never found out why. Speeds of up to 200 ft/sec drops from rounds in the same box. Drops of 2 to 4 inches at 100 yards were the result of this variance.

While i usually don't judge an entire line on a few boxes there were alternatives in the same price bracket, and others for less, that performed better.

As for the price of ammo, it's eye watering the rise in prices in the last 5 years. I have to wonder if Brexit is at the heart of this. Most, actually all, our ammo comes in through UK suppliers. It was in the papers a couple of years back that suppliers were increasing prices due to the drop in value of the pound and this increase was being passed onto customers.

The average price of ammo for 308 is around the €45 mark with the match stuff in the €50 - €55 mark. Other brands and calibers have been affected too. Hornady Steel match that was €55 is now €76 (308), Fiocchi 50 round boxes that were €42 are now €50 (223), etc.

One pleasant surprise is Fiocchi EPN (Ballistic tipped) at €33 per 20. 150gr stuff and very accurate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thought Id ressurect this thread instead of starting another.

Has anyone ever used HPS targetmaster??

For a comparison its ~£100-110 for 100 rounds of 168gr SMK HPBT,

by comparison I was given a price of €210 for 100 Hornady 168gr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

any PPU .308 about?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Rifter wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used HPS targetmaster??
    Shot it exclusively for a few years. When supplies dried up, i stopped.

It is top quality ammo and at a good price, even given the sterling exchange rate. Fast, flat shooting (for a 308) and consistent.

One word of caution. Check the OAL with HPS before ordering. It's target orientated ammo and hence might be longer than SAMMI spec stuff. That means it may not feed into mags and could be designed for single feed. If it can be made/loaded to mag length (2.805) then you're golden.

Given the way things are going here i don't know why some dealer is not stocking it. An RFD could buy it in the thousands, add a few quid onto it for his touch, and still sell it cheaper than 90% of the ammo out there.

Might even be worth while to consider a group buy with other lads and bring in a good load of it.
    For a comparison its ~£100-110 for 100 rounds of 168gr SMK HPBT,
    Out to 600 yards the 168 are fine, however go past it and it drops like a stone. It's consistent, but there is a 2 MOA difference between 168 and any other round at 1,000 yards and the wind drift is more.

155s are much better. Even the 175grs, but they may not suit a 1:12 twist as the bullets are Sierra and not as forgiving as Berger.
    by comparison I was given a price of €210 for 100 Hornady 168gr.
    Considering the prices i've seen, €2 per round is about average or even below average with match grade and hunting rounds coming in at €45 to €50 per 20.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Shot it exclusively for a few years. When supplies dried up, i stopped.

It is top quality ammo and at a good price, even given the sterling exchange rate. Fast, flat shooting (for a 308) and consistent.

One word of caution. Check the OAL with HPS before ordering. It's target orientated ammo and hence might be longer than SAMMI spec stuff. That means it may not feed into mags and could be designed for single feed. If it can be made/loaded to mag length (2.805) then you're golden.

Given the way things are going here i don't know why some dealer is not stocking it. An RFD could buy it in the thousands, add a few quid onto it for his touch, and still sell it cheaper than 90% of the ammo out there.

Might even be worth while to consider a group buy with other lads and bring in a good load of it.

Out to 600 yards the 168 are fine, however go past it and it drops like a stone. It's consistent, but there is a 2 MOA difference between 168 and any other round at 1,000 yards and the wind drift is more.

155s are much better. Even the 175grs, but they may not suit a 1:12 twist as the bullets are Sierra and not as forgiving as Berger.

Considering the prices i've seen, €2 per round is about average or even below average with match grade and hunting rounds coming in at €45 to €50 per 20.

Thanks Cass, yea I understand theres hefty taxes and the dealer needs to make his end but match .308 is pricey here.

I have a 1:11 twist so I'm not sure how the 155grs will do out of that barrel.

Advertisement