Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi drivers who expect YOU to drive THEM

Options
  • 30-05-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

What is it with taxi drivers who insist on asking you to do their job for them? I recently got a taxi from my house in Inchicore to the airport. I barely had the door of the car closed when the driver asks “which way do you want to go – through town or the M50?” This was at 8.30 in the morning. I don’t drive. How the fu*k am I supposed to know which way is best? “You’re the driver” I said. “How about the quickest way?” But no! This wasn’t good enough for the idiot. He started mumbling some nonsense, the general thrust of which was he STILL expected me to make a decision for him.

Naturally I wasn’t about to tell him I don’t drive as that would have been like handing him my wallet and the keys to my house. Eventually, seeing that I wasn’t going to do his job for him, he took the M50 route. For which I was charged 40 euro. (I’d booked it from a local firm and 5 euro apparently was for “extras” which I assume was the privilege of being able to book in advance).

This happens regularly to me by the way – drivers asking me “which way I want to go”. This was an Irish driver I might add, as opposed to some recent arrival who doesn’t know his way around. How do you deal with these cretins?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It’s so you don’t accuse him of ripping you off by taking the long route.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I appreciate being asked which way I want to go . Much better than being brought half way around the world and back . I think its a very fair question actually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's perfectly normal to be asked.

Quickest isn't always the cheapest, and visa versa.

the €5 extra was €2 booking fee and €3 M50 toll. He would have told you this had you asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's because the taxis charge extra for using the M50 due to the toll and the fact it is often a longer distance in km despite being a quicker route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not sure the OP knows what it means to "drive".

Fairly standard question, people may have a preferred route, how's he to know you don't drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

I avoid taxis like the plague, but that's for a different day. Just tell them to follow google maps and everything will be just dandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm disappointed in the thread. I was expecting to hear of a taxi driver hopping the passenger seat and reclining it fully back while the OP had to do the driving. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I get asked this too but I've no problem at all with it

It's only said from the driver as '' what way do You normally go?

I said X route and he will say , I'll go that way so for ya.

I think it is to avoid the being ripped off argument and I don't blame drivers for doing it. I would probably do the same.

It's obviously in response to being accused for taking a different route than the passenger is used to and being accused so less hassle for them, and meets the passengers expectation and request of the appropriate route.

If the passenger said I don't know, whatever is the fastest then the driver should go that fastest route.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't mind being asked 'which way do you want to go?'
    i mind being asked 'where is that?' when i state my destination.

recent case in point, i suggested to a driver, getting into a taxi at the airport, that we go down the side of the runway, instead of the M50. he responded 'i don't know how to get to the side of the runway'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

What is it with taxi drivers who insist on asking you to do their job for them? I recently got a taxi from my house in Inchicore to the airport. I barely had the door of the car closed when the driver asks “which way do you want to go – through town or the M50?” This was at 8.30 in the morning. I don’t drive. How the fu*k am I supposed to know which way is best? “You’re the driver” I said. “How about the quickest way?” But no! This wasn’t good enough for the idiot. He started mumbling some nonsense, the general thrust of which was he STILL expected me to make a decision for him.

Naturally I wasn’t about to tell him I don’t drive as that would have been like handing him my wallet and the keys to my house. Eventually, seeing that I wasn’t going to do his job for him, he took the M50 route. For which I was charged 40 euro. (I’d booked it from a local firm and 5 euro apparently was for “extras” which I assume was the privilege of being able to book in advance).

This happens regularly to me by the way – drivers asking me “which way I want to go”. This was an Irish driver I might add, as opposed to some recent arrival who doesn’t know his way around. How do you deal with these cretins?

A bit rich to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

i don't mind being asked 'which way do you want to go?'
    i mind being asked 'where is that?' when i state my destination.

recent case in point, i suggested to a driver, getting into a taxi at the airport, that we go down the side of the runway, instead of the M50. he responded 'i don't know how to get to the side of the runway'.

Follow the plane, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.S wrote: »
    It's a valid question, what's the issue? M50 -> quicker but more expensive. Town -> slower, and (usually) slightly cheaper.

+1 I live on the southside and expect to be asked this question every time. And if he doesn't ask, I will tell him which route to take.

OP, you're losing this one. Taxi drivers are wary of taking people down the M50 in case they get reported for taking the 'scenic route' but at certain times of the day, it's a better option. So they generally ask if you want to go via town or the M50 to cover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What is it with taxi drivers who insist on asking you to do their job for them? I recently got a taxi from my house in Inchicore to the airport. I barely had the door of the car closed when the driver asks “which way do you want to go – through town or the M50?†This was at 8.30 in the morning. I don’t drive. How the fu*k am I supposed to know which way is best? “You’re the driver†I said. “How about the quickest way?†But no! This wasn’t good enough for the idiot. He started mumbling some nonsense, the general thrust of which was he STILL expected me to make a decision for him.

He did you a favour by asking you. The M50 is much quicker butterflies can add 10 to 20 euros a journey because its twice as many miles that way.

It would be a chancer of a taxi driver that wouldn't let you make the choice.

I know 8:30am we're all still sleepy but you need to chill out a little. He wasn't trying to wind you up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I prefer it. Being local I'd usually know the roads and traffic conditions better than he would at specific times of the day, they'd usually stick with the 'main' route otherwise.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I often wonder what it is people expect to happen when starting threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Allinall wrote:
    the €5 extra was €2 booking fee and €3 M50 toll. He would have told you this had you asked.

Taxi driver pays for the tolls and can't charge you for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

I get the same question when I get a taxi in Cork - go through the city or take the tunnel?
    Tunnel is usually a couple of quid more, but a bit quicker at some times of day.

I often wonder what it is people expect to happen when starting threads like this.

I don't know, but don't ask the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Of course they can charge you.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/taxi-fares/road-tolls/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Its to cover his own arse in case you complain about him taking the longer route.
    He probably should have explained what the difference was but it wasn't some conspiracy to annoy you, he was just trying to offer a good service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The M50 is much quicker butterflies can add 10 to 20 euros a journey....
    Butterflies are making journeys on the M50 more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Not being able to drive is irrelevant :confused:
    I don't drive but would be aware of traffic congested areas in the locality from using public transport, walking, and being a passenger in other people's cars.
    I'd have a preferred route for most places I commute to and if getting a taxi, I'd mention it if not asked (though most do ask).

"You're the driver" is a very hostile response to what I'd consider to be a very courteous & considerate question. You were given a route option, chose not to take it, yet are still moaning about the cost of the fare.
    Clearly there's no pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Reminds me of those pesky barbers who always start with "what'll it be today". Just shut up and cut my hair, I'm not the barber buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

So apparently I'm the bad guy here for expecting the driver to take the shortest and least expensive route without me having to tell him which route that is. Maybe I should move to London where drivers have to take The Knowledge and are expected to take the best route in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not being able to drive is irrelevant :confused:
    I don't drive but would be aware of traffic congested areas in the locality from using public transport, walking, and being a passenger in other people's cars.
    I'd have a preferred route for most places I commute to and if getting a taxi, I'd mention it if not asked (though most do ask).

"You're the driver" is a very hostile response to what I'd consider to be a very courteous & considerate question. You were given a route option, chose not to take it, yet are still moaning about the cost of the fare.
    Clearly there's no pleasing some people.

How is my not being able to drive irrelevant? This man drives FOR A LIVING. How am I supposed to know what traffic congestion is going to be like for two different routes at 8.30 in the morning? He's being paid to know this. I'm not.

So apparently I'm the bad guy here for expecting the driver to take the shortest and least expensive route without me having to tell him which route that is. Maybe I should move to London where drivers have to take The Knowledge and are expected to take the best route in the first place.

And charge a significant premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yeah I appreciate it when asked. If not I tell them which way to go. I think the OP should become more aware of the geography of his or her surrounds. Just get with it. Take control of your journey.

Reminds me of those pesky barbers who always start with "what'll it be today". Just shut up and cut my hair, I'm not the barber buddy

I went to a restaurant recently and the gave me a folder with about 20 different choices. How am I supposed to know what I want to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Not everyone wants the shortest in terms of Mileage. They may want the shortest in terms of time. Not always the same thing. You are way off the Mark on this one OP.

I'd have gone round by Navan with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Nope

Advertisement