Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning - Do Not Swim notice in operation (now lifted)

• 29-05-2019 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo/status/1133797108115546112?s=09

DO NOT SWIM notices at Silver Strand, Blackrock & Salthill Beaches. Warning advisory at Grattan Road. Very elevated levels of Enterococci bacteria found in testing.
    As a result of routine bathing water testing earlier this week, high levels of Intestinal Enterococci bacteria have been detected at Silver Strand Beach, at Blackrock and Salthill beaches and at Grattan Road beach.
    Galway City Council has posted “DO NOT SWIM” notices at Silver Strand, Blackrock and Salthill and a warning advisory at Grattan Road.
    The levels of Enterococci bacteria at Silverstrand detected following testing on 26th May were 613/100ml which is very high while the levels at Blackrock and Salthill were 436/100ml. The levels at Grattan Road are lower but still warrant an advisory notice to warn swimmers.
    This advice is in line with agreed national protocols and Galway City Council has been advised that swimming in waters with these elevated levels of Enterococci bacteria may cause illness.
    The prohibition on swimming at Silver Strand and the Salthill beaches and the warning at Grattan Road are in place until further notice. Further testing is taking place but it may be Saturday 1st June before results are available, at which time further notice will issue.
    As yet, the likely cause of these elevated levels of harmful bacteria are unknown and investigations are in train.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Not confirmed, but a measurement of 613 is apparently almost 20 times the recommended level.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Whhaaaat?

Guarantee there will still be many ppl there in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Any link to the cruise ships that are visiting regularly?
    https://theportofgalway.ie/cruise-ship-schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »

No mutton island is the problem - its maxed out. cannot expand, recent wet weather......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

zell12 wrote: »

What do you call regular only been 2 in so far this year another in June in Dublin and Cork they are in every day. Cruise ships have their own sewerage system on board which is emptied at ports they dock in, the day of chucking it over the side is long gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

we need...Teresa now!!

• No mutton island is the problem - its maxed out. cannot expand, recent wet weather......

What? May was fairly dry. Weather only got a little wet last weekend.
    Do you have any evidence that Mutton Island is the problem?
    My opinion, is that you dont know what you're talking about.
    Someone from Galway City Council (I think) was on GBFM this morning, and advised that the eColi level is at 0.
    What has happened is some freak, and not something that they expect to still be an issue after they repeat the tests today.
    If this was a general issue with Mutton Island, then the eColi level would be high too

What? May was fairly dry. Weather only got a little wet last weekend.
    Do you have any evidence that Mutton Island is the problem?
    My opinion, is that you dont know what you're talking about.
    Someone from Galway City Council (I think) was on GBFM this morning, and advised that the eColi level is at 0.
    What has happened is some freak, and not something that they expect to still be an issue after they repeat the tests today.
    If this was a general issue with Mutton Island, then the eColi level would be high too

Ya wet last weekend - animal waste run off from the Corrib river most likely responsible for this outbreak.

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/water/bathing/Bathing%20Water%20Quality%20in%20Ireland%202018.pdf

Table 5: Sufficient Bathing Waters in 2018
    "
    Galway City Council Ballyloughane Beach
    Galway City Council Grattan Road Beach
    "

Mutton Island is a problem though - cannot expand to provide additional treatment facilities.

• Ya wet last weekend - animal waste run off from the Corrib river most likely responsible for this outbreak.

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/water/bathing/Bathing%20Water%20Quality%20in%20Ireland%202018.pdf

Table 5: Sufficient Bathing Waters in 2018
    "
    Galway City Council Ballyloughane Beach
    Galway City Council Grattan Road Beach
    "

Mutton Island is a problem though - cannot expand to provide additional treatment facilities.

Is your point, that after any prolonged dry period, there is going to be excess animal waste that will go into the Corrib upon a wet period? And that Mutton Island cannot deal with this?

Is your point, that after any prolonged dry period, there is going to be excess animal waste that will go into the Corrib upon a wet period? And that Mutton Island cannot deal with this?

Mutton Island not built to deal with Corrib, can barely deal with Galway City. Capactity increased in 2017 - but using old tech for treatment.
    Galway City should have better facilities, they will have to be built elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mutton Island not built to deal with Corrib, can barely deal with Galway City. Capactity increased in 2017 - but using old tech for treatment.
    Galway City should have better facilities, they will have to be built elsewhere

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is the issue the treatment plant or runoff into the River Corrib?

I know water levels are low after a very dry May but I don't understand your Mutton Island capacity reference. Mutton Island does not 'treat' a river.

The Dangan station shows the water level going down for the past 5 weeks.
    https://waterlevel.ie/0000030098/0001/

• Nevermind, just saw a Tweet for Galway City Council. The water is good again. Hurray

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I'll be in tomorrow.

As an old Galwegian once told me...'Stay out of the bay in April and May, swim til you die in June and July!'

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

latest measurements are 3.6 roentgen. safe enough i suppose

Advertisement