Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant recommendation

• 29-05-2019 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I have to arrange a restaurant for lunch for a group of people at the end of next week, it is 4 kids and 6 adults, but I don't really know Galway that well.

Ideally we would like to book somewhere in advance so everyone can sit together,
    - It doesn't have to be anywhere particularly fancy, good food rather than fancy decor.
    - Central to Galway city, not suburbs
    - Restaurant or 'gastro-pub' would be grand
    - Ideally Irish food / seafood / fish & chips (but have to be able to pre-book which rules out a lot of good fish & chip places!)

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

John Keogh's Gastropub might fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Just had a look, that could be spot on, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Mcswiggans in woodquay also another option with central location. You can book tables in their restaurant area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Blakes would be my pick , their fish and chips is best in the city imo, plenty of other choices too :)

Can’t go wrong with mcswiggans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Hooked is great just up the road from Dominic street

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Hooked isn't open for lunch though....(according to their website anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Didn't have the best experience in McSwiggans the last time I was there but it might have been a once off. They were always great before. Did it ever change hands or is it still the same owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

xckjoo wrote: »
    Didn't have the best experience in McSwiggans the last time I was there but it might have been a once off. They were always great before. Did it ever change hands or is it still the same owners?

Changed ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've yet to have a bad meal in Blake's (smart casual) or The Dail (casual)... same menu (We'll, very similar... same owner).

I always order a sneaky deal that they don't advertise and to be honest I'd hardly make it for the same price I get it served to me

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Changed ownership

Used to be one of my favourite pubs when I moved here 15 years ago. Ate there often, always downstairs. I remember them having the best music of any pub I frequented in those younger days. But then at some stage they shifted all the dining to upstairs. I'd been for a few xmas dinners up there and it's fine but not someplace I'd go out of my way for. I can understand it was popular with older locals as a dependable good meal. But I think I gave up on them long before they changed hands. They used to do a great lunch back downstairs back in the day. Sad to see they continuation of a downward spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

papa'z bistro is amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

McSwiggans has been going downhill for years. The prices stayed the same but the quality of the food went down.

Blakes around the corner is miles better. You'll do well to get a booking.

Had a hearty lunch of sambos and chips with the family at the Sitting Duck Cafe across from Debenhams. They have a lovely outdoor area out back you wouldn't expect. Perfect today as it was so mild. Lovely homemade chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

pure.conya wrote: »
    papa'z bistro is amazing

+1 here ...

Was having lunch there today - damn that was excellent food, best stuff I got for a LONG time .... deffo worth a visit :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Stone wrote: »
    +1 here ...

Was having lunch there today - damn that was excellent food, best stuff I got for a LONG time .... deffo worth a visit :D

Where is that?.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Where is that?.

On Middle Street - where Vina Mara used to be ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Changed ownership

When did that happen? I had bad experience there last time too...they won’t ever see myself or my wife there again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭1641

I've yet to have a bad meal in Blake's (smart casual)

I must have got it on a really off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,078 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

+10 for Blakes and the Fish and Chips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

LillySV wrote: »
    When did that happen? I had bad experience there last time too...they won’t ever see myself or my wife there again

Same as that , felt seriously ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to recommendations please.
    Take any issues with businesses up with the business itself.
    b018aedd6caf2a4d12bf28f5dcaf3fcb.jpg

See forum charter #8

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Had a hearty lunch of sambos and chips with the family at the Sitting Duck Cafe across from Debenhams. They have a lovely outdoor area out back you wouldn't expect. Perfect today as it was so mild. Lovely homemade chips.

Are you sure you were in the Sitting Duck, not Revive? Pretty sure that SD don't have an outdoor area. The latter defo does have a nice back area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Massimos. Spacious, quiet at lunchtime, decent grub.

Are you sure you were in the Sitting Duck, not Revive? Pretty sure that SD don't have an outdoor area. The latter defo does have a nice back area.

You're right... I've only entered through the patio, popped my head out the front, and saw the sign for the Sitting Duck, and assumed it had changed hands. Yeah it was the patio at Revive we were at. Explain why those old Revive signs were still around the place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keithonroll

If you want to try Indian restaurant, I would recommend Tulsi or Kumar's. Even Falguni in Salthill is kinda good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

pure.conya wrote: »
    papa'z bistro is amazing

Yes indeed. Amazing chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 t.singh1

Papa Rich at Woodquay

Advertisement