Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein Youngblood (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch)

• 27-03-2019 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Releasing July 26th
    BJ Blazkowicz has gone missing in Paris, and it’s up to his twin daughters, Jess and Soph, to track him down. Wolfenstein: Youngblood drops you into 80s Nazi-occupied Paris, and for the first time in the series, you’ll be able to explore the world of Wolfenstein and wreck Nazis with a partner.

Jess and Soph Blazkowicz will stop at nothing to find their father, and that includes taking on the Nazi forces in Paris, France. Establish your home base deep in the Parisian Catacombs and tackle missions in any order you want. Team up with a friend or play with an AI companion and obliterate the Nazi regime.
    Along with the newly added co-op system, Youngblood features some newly added RPG elements. Explore Paris and take on the Nazis to level up and unlock new abilities, weapon attachments, gadgets, cosmetics and more. You’ll have access to updated and improved New Colossus weapons like the Dieselkraftwerk, Shockhammer (now called the Kugelgewehr), Laserkraftwerk and more, and you’ll also be able to tear through the fascist hordes with a number of new weapons like the iconic Maschinepistole and the devastatingly powerful Elektrokraftwerk.

BUDDY PASS
    When you pick up the Wolfenstein: Youngblood Deluxe Edition, you’ll get the Buddy Pass, meaning you can partner up with a friend, even if that friend doesn’t own the game. As long as that friend is playing with you, they’ll be able to download and play Youngblood for free, all thanks to the Buddy Pass. The Buddy Pass can only be provided to one friend at a time, but it can be reused as many times as you want. Those playing using a friend’s Buddy Pass can choose to upgrade to the full game and play on their own or with other players at any time.
    In addition to the Buddy Pass, the Deluxe Edition also gets you the Cyborg Skin Pack, a cosmetic pack designed to give you that titanium Terminator look. The Cyborg Skin Pack includes a shiny new skin for the twins’ Power Suits, guns, combat knives and hatchets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

CO-OP? Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is this an actual sequel to the other 2 games? loved both of them, the buddy pass idea is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

Looking forward to the latest installment of this series. Played the last 2 releases of this series on PS4 and it's a great fun action shooter with interesting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Is this an actual sequel to the other 2 games? loved both of them, the buddy pass idea is great.

Yep it’s a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sincerely hope this is better than The New Colossus. Absolutely hated it which was particularly disappointing as I loved the previous games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Sincerely hope this is better than The New Colossus. Absolutely hated it which was particularly disappointing as I loved the previous games.

While I didn't hate it, I didn't muster much in the way of excitement for me which was very disappointing. I've no interest in Co-Op games so it all depends on what it would be like to play on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Don't like the co-op at all but assume with that taken into consideration there will be less of a focus on stealth which dragged down the New Colossus from what I remember.
    Unlike The New Order I have never been tempted to replay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

80’s synth Music in a Wolfenstein while gunning down Nazis?Yes please $$

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My main problems with the New Colossus game were you being hobbled with ‘injuries’ at the start of the game, the ridiculously complicated layout of the submarine and that the enemy soldiers were bullet sponges. Add in the constant respawn of enemies as the commander was hidden away in some obscure corner of the level and it was all just too tedious.

In the end I put it on the easiest level and flew through it just to see the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah New Colossus was OK, but nowhere near as good as New Order/Old Blood. I was disappointed, wouldn't say it's a bad game but a weak sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Nvidia have announced Ray Tracing and Adaptive Shading support for Wolfenstein YoungBlood. Seems like the developers have shifted camps from AMD to Nvidia. The New Colossus ran very well on AMD's Vega cards thanks to its use of Rapid Path Math. The Vega 56 beat the GTX 1080 at 1080p and matched it at 1440p.

I played it on a GTX 970 and while the performance was decent there was quite bad graphically bugs on one level. Apparently it did not play well with Nvidia Pascal generation of GPU's.

Anyway I see this game well have open ended missions in the style of Dishonored which isn't a surprise as Arkane are co-developing it. Fan of the Dishonored games so I'm liking the looks of this. Suspect it might be quite short.

Game is also annoying alot of the right wing types, which means it must be doing something right. They are Moaning about "women characters, ugly women characters, black women and woke agenda running game and killing Nazi's is now no longer fashionable, I dunno its an attack on white people or something....they do seem to be much happier if the game had us killing communists I guess because they keep pointing out communist killed more than the Nazi's :pac:. They also say down with Swedistan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, looking forward to it. Nice to have some "fun" co-op shooting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

My main problems with the New Colossus game were you being hobbled with ‘injuries’ at the start of the game, the ridiculously complicated layout of the submarine and that the enemy soldiers were bullet sponges. Add in the constant respawn of enemies as the commander was hidden away in some obscure corner of the level and it was all just too tedious.

In the end I put it on the easiest level and flew through it just to see the story.

I spent 70% of my time trying to navigate that submarine. Ridiculously badly laid out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New Colossus plays much better as a stealth game. You're at a severe disadvantage if you go in all guns blazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    New Colossus plays much better as a stealth game. You're at a severe disadvantage if you go in all guns blazing.

Yeah but this is a game where you can dual wield assault rifles, I think stealth goes out the window when that becomes an option.

Your suppose to play stealth until you inevitably f**k it up....that's when you start duel wielding assault rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

By biggest gripe with Wolf 2 was that it's level layout was very limited compared to the first one.

I hope they improve on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I loved the first one but could never get into the sequels to the same extent for some reason. The story on the 2nd was so far out there it was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I loved the first one but could never get into the sequels to the same extent for some reason. The story on the 2nd was so far out there it was bizarre.

uhh which 1st one? Theres 7 or 8 of them nowadays :D

RTCW is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

dreamers75 wrote:
    uhh which 1st one? Theres 7 or 8 of them nowadays

Wolfenstein: The New Order
    Significantly better than The New Colossus was.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    uhh which 1st one? Theres 7 or 8 of them nowadays :D

RTCW is my favourite.
    Bit of an exaggeration. There is 3.

Castle Wolfenstein was the first game.
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein was a reboot of the series and also a remake of Wolfenstein 3D.
    Wolfenstein the New Order was also a reboot.

Sad I never got to play Wolfenstein: ET I hear that was a sick multiplayer FPS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There was also a fourth reboot, in 2009, just called 'Wolfenstein', wasn't there? Or am I just imagining that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

pixelburp wrote: »
    There was also a fourth reboot, in 2009, just called 'Wolfenstein', wasn't there? Or am I just imagining that :confused:

Correct. Raven software

Fun game too tbf

Timeline of release years
    1981 Castle Wolfenstein
    1984 Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
    1992 Wolfenstein 3D
    1993 Wolfenstein 3D: The Spear of Destiny
    2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    2003 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
    2008 Wolfenstein RPG
    2009 Wolfenstein
    2014 Wolfenstein: The New Order
    2015 Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
    2017 Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
    2019 Wolfenstein: Youngblood

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I remember we played that 'overlord' demo of Return to Castle Wolfenstein to death at LANs (showing my age there!). The flame-thrower, at the time one of the first convincing portrayals in games, was pure chaos.

pixelburp wrote: »

Wasn't a reboot it was a direct sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And New Order is a loose sequel to that game as well with returning characters.

1981 Castle Wolfenstein (2D Stealth game)
    1984 Beyond Castle Wolfenstein (sequel to Castle Wolfenstein)
    1992 Wolfenstein 3D (FPS inspired by Castle Wolfenstein)
    1993 Wolfenstein 3D: The Spear of Destiny (prequel to Wolfenstein 3D, the lost missions expansion also link the game to the Doom universe)
    2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein (Reboot and Remake of Wolfenstein 3D)
    2003 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (Free to play multiplayer standalone expansion to RTCW)
    2008 Wolfenstein RPG (RPG Spin off incorporating plot elements from RTCW and Spear of Destiny, also links the series to Doom 1-3)
    2009 Wolfenstein (Sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein)
    2014 Wolfenstein: The New Order (Reboot and partial sequel to Wolfenstein)
    2015 Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (Prequel to the New Order, and partial remake of RTCW)
    2017 Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Sequel to the New Order)
    2019 Wolfenstein: Youngblood (Spin off sequel to the New Colossus)

Simples really! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

I hope they fix the feeling of aiming. Aiming system as a whole always felt "off" to me, hard to explain. I binged The New Order and The New Collossus over 2 weekends. Absolutely loved them.

Oh and can we all just remember this emotional gut punch of an ending and song from the New Order?

Advertisement