Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directly Elected Mayor

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

We were basically asked to vote for an extra unidentified politician with unidentified powers to overrule probably our best City / County Manager ever. The wonder is that it only failed by 700 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No ahead by 1000 votes in Cork, last few to count.

No for Cork by 982 votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's done.

https://twitter.com/corkcitycouncil/status/1133020405395021824

So two out of three reject it albeit by few enough votes in the end. I expect Limerick will be told it's all off for now and it'll get put through the Citizens Assembly sausage machine to be redrafted and relaunched in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's done.

https://twitter.com/corkcitycouncil/status/1133020405395021824

So two out of three reject it albeit by few enough votes in the end. I expect Limerick will be told it's all off for now and it'll get put through the Citizens Assembly sausage machine to be redrafted and relaunched in 2020.

Must say I'm feeling relieved at this... if Cork had voted yes, I could have seen them and Limerick going ahead and making a success of it, with Waterford being left behind.

With Cork rejecting it, it's more likely now that they'll go back to the drawing board and produce a better plan (or sell the existing one better) next time.

Leo says its going ahead in Limerick and Dublin is next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Leo says its going ahead in Limerick and Dublin is next.

That's great. We get to see the pig out of the poke and with Cork saying no also, we are guaranteed a second vote if it's a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Can someone tell me was this voted on by the entire City & County or just City only i.e. the 3 metropolitan wards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Can someone tell me was this voted on by the entire City & County or just City only i.e. the 3 metropolitan wards?

Entire county and city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Max Powers wrote: »
    Entire county and city

It will be interesting to see the breakdown. Is it available anywhere?

Entire county and city

What about Cork; City only or county too?

• Advertisement

Entire county and city

Which I only learned at the ballot box, assumed it was just for the city so didn't look into it any further.
    What about Cork; City only or county too?

City only as both City and County are not merged like Waterford/Limerick.

So two people have admitted they didnt know the vote for directly elected mayor involved city and county. Im surprised and a bit worried by that.one could say it was poorly communicated, on the other hand,a bit of basic engagement from the public is needed too.

Well my reason for asking obviously shows that I didn't know but a lot didn't even know what the whole point of the exercise was, a lot didn't know there was a vote on it so that's on the government not the voters.
    But my reason for asking is more about this; this whole idea of directly elected Mayors was, I thought, about developing the 5 cities, engines for regional growth, critical mass, Ireland 2040(or whatever it's called)etc. etc.
    So why in Cork was it voted on by those directly affected i.e. the citizens of Cork city, not Bantry, Mallow, Mitchelstown or Youghal but in Waterford, people from Dungarvan, Lismore, Ballymacarbery etc. got their spake when for them it was probably seen as just an additional cost with nothing in it for them. If directly elected mayors are about 'Bigging' up the cities, I can't see anyone in Dungarvan being in favour as i think it would be seen as a further diminution of their town's status in the pecking order following the merger of county and city councils and abolition of town councils, no?
    I mean the whole message was woolly with Fine Gael's little posters advocating "Your county, your mayor" - no mention of 'City'!
    Why wasn't there a vote in Dublin and Galway also?
    The whole thing was half-cocked. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Deise Vu wrote: »
    We were basically asked to vote for an extra unidentified politician with unidentified powers to overrule probably our best City / County Manager ever. The wonder is that it only failed by 700 votes.

Here's how Mary Roche put it:
    UBVm9V5.jpg

"It's not a perfect proposal by any means but it is a start and I would hope if it is voted through it would lead to more devolved authority from Central government to councils.

Chief Executives - excellent and all as ours is - do not really challenge central government. As public servants they are in fact, agents of that very government.

A directly elected mayor would be an agent of the people - to challenge central government."
    https://www.facebook.com/cllrmaryroche/posts/10218691766866300

Well my reason for asking obviously shows that I didn't know but a lot didn't even know what the whole point of the exercise was, a lot didn't know there was a vote on it so that's on the government not the voters.
    But my reason for asking is more about this; this whole idea of directly elected Mayors was, I thought, about developing the 5 cities, engines for regional growth, critical mass, Ireland 2040(or whatever it's called)etc. etc.
    So why in Cork was it voted on by those directly affected i.e. the citizens of Cork city, not Bantry, Mallow, Mitchelstown or Youghal but in Waterford, people from Dungarvan, Lismore, Ballymacarbery etc. got their spake when for them it was probably seen as just an additional cost with nothing in it for them. If directly elected mayors are about 'Bigging' up the cities, I can't see anyone in Dungarvan being in favour as i think it would be seen as a further diminution of their town's status in the pecking order following the merger of county and city councils and abolition of town councils, no?
    I mean the whole message was woolly with Fine Gael's little posters advocating "Your county, your mayor" - no mention of 'City'!
    Why wasn't there a vote in Dublin and Galway also?
    The whole thing was half-cocked. IMO.

Dublin and galway next for vote apparently.galway not included this time as I think they merging councils probably in a year or so. Cork city council separate to cork county and they have little plans to merge soon. I'm not saying it was communicated greatly but a little bit of engagement from people is needed too to be fair, that involves actively seeking out information (from proper news sources). The your county, your mayor posters I thought were a fairly obvious indication, this is for all of county. If people in any town or village in the county are not interested in something that could improve their city/county then they definitely need to look at themselves, even if they viewed it as more ofa city thing, its all of our city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Leo Varadkar's tweet last evening reeked of "see ya later losers" to me. The whole thing needs reappraisal not ploughing on with regardless.

Advertisement