Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Trainee 2018 campaign

1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Hey guys iv fitness test coming up in few weeks . Im a bit worried about the beep test im over thirty but iv been training a bit . Iv never done a beep test i know how you do it i just wondered what sort of running you would need to be doing for it sprints or long distance runs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Jake5991 wrote: »
    Hey guys iv fitness test coming up in few weeks . Im a bit worried about the beep test im over thirty but iv been training a bit . Iv never done a beep test i know how you do it i just wondered what sort of running you would need to be doing for it sprints or long distance runs ?

Practice the beep test itself... here is the audio;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VnNZsoHqSZ4WlIPJHYuyNGbMyLf26g1Q/view?usp=sharing

Otherwise I'd just advise doing some shorter runs like 5K, you want to run at-least 3 times a week or more I would say if you want to make sure you pass it.

Some hill-sprints, etc might help but I just did tons of 5K's and practiced the test itself and I had to get 8.8 and was fine and I had never really ran before.

Thanks thats what iv been doing running on treadmill doing 5 ks and trying to increase speed

Thanks thats what iv been doing running on treadmill doing 5 ks and trying to increase speed

The only way to calm your nerves will be to actually practice the test though!! You have to practice it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

I’d recommend downloading a beep test app & that you buy cones and measure 20m I measured it by taking 26 and a titch steps, and when I really wanted to push It and improve my score I’d push it to 23m (that’s just a personal preference) do it on concrete not grass! Hope it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Grod18

Hi All,

Has anyone ever failed the stage of meeting with their Super Intendent? Can you fail this? Is this like another interview?

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

The meeting with the Superintendent is just a throwback to years ago when he made the decision. My meeting was over in 10 minutes and he wasn't sure where in the recruitment process I was. Just shave a put a suit on and your grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gmanno1

Grod18 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone ever failed the stage of meeting with their Super Intendent? Can you fail this? Is this like another interview?

Thanks for all the help.

He looks into your form B and your references. Once there's no serious criminality in your family and your reference are ok, He'll talk to you about that for few min and if theres any family members that got into trouble he'll ask how much you have to do with them.

Just answer him honestly and you'll be fineðŸ‘

Quick question guys can you defer joining the guards for a year . Im currently on a work contract and if i want to leave my job il have to pay a substantial fee?
    So was just wondering if i was offered December of this year could i put it off till sometime in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ddylan

Quick question guys can you defer joining the guards for a year . Im currently on a work contract and if i want to leave my job il have to pay a substantial fee?
    So was just wondering if i was offered December of this year could i put it off till sometime in 2020

No they will only let you defer if your finishing college

• Advertisement

ddylan wrote: »
    No they will only let you defer if your finishing college

It's not only for college, or at-least it's not specified it's only for college - you just have to provide them a reason and they will decide if its valid and allow the deferral or not, but yes, majority are for college.

I would query the possibility, but be prepared for them to possibly deny your deferral.

Hi guys i was meant to have the formal meeting with the super about four weeks ago and i had to cancel due to work commitments which i couldnt get out of . I rang and cancelled the interview and and asked dor a reschedule. They said they would call me back the following week and i heard nothing . I then rang the local station and every time i rang the sgt was not there and then they said the super was away.
    Just wondering should i keep ringing them or should i wait for them to get back in contact with me ?

Advertisement