Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Game Fair Galway

• 09-04-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of heading up to the Game fair in Galway this June ?

GH

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never heard a thign about it.

Where abouts in Galway, and what time, date, etc? have you a link to a site?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

Yes, something will finally be less than an hour from our house. I am looking forward to it.

I would take a guess that its at the race course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Ziggieire wrote: »
    Yes, something will finally be less than an hour from our house. I am looking forward to it.

I would take a guess that its at the race course

Party in yours both nights so ???

http://www.irishgameandcountryfair.com/

15th/16th June Cass

Is that the thing that has been on in Birr for the last few years?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Meant to ask, you going yourself? Have you a stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Ziggieire

15th/16th June Cass

You bet yer arse, Time for some redneck shenanigans.

I wont have a stand

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pat McGroin

It looks like it will be a fairly well sterilized event from a shooting point of view. Not a single mention of it in the headline posters. I'm not sure if there will even be clay shooting at it as you're so close to houses etc.
    They will probably have a couple of stands with shooting gear, tucked away in a corner away from the main drag. So it doesn't upset anyone.
    I hope I'm wrong but that just seems to be the way things are headed.

I'm going to skip it and head for the UK game fair instead. At least it's not pretending to be something it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Went to the North last year to the combined for Shanes Castle/Birr fair for the anniversary.

I wont be going back!

I went to Birr every year for the look around and the day out, always picked up a few bits, (and spent a few hundred quid:pac:)

Couldn't even find something to spend money on at last years "big" one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shooting?? Up in the university capital of Ireland with a large population of sandal wearing Beardies and Beady types??:eek::rolleyes: They will be running en masse for their safe spaces and colouring books, to phone all their councillors and other busybodies, to complain about the potential "trauma to their children" from hearing gunshots" and the "innocent clay pigeons being massacred in the name of sport!"*

Will go and have a look myself, but I reckon unless these organisers can get another estate like Birr or Emo and not have to pay the national deficit sum in an insurance premium for the event for two days...Clay shoots at these events are going to become a thing of the past.:(

*Seriously, some oxygen waster in the UK actually made that statement about a clay shoot last year!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Cass wrote: »
    Meant to ask, you going yourself? Have you a stand?

I was considering it but now Yes I am And Yes Ill have a stand there too :)

:eek: panic mode ive a million things to do and not alot of time to do it in

Ziggieire wrote: »
    You bet yer arse, Time for some redneck shenanigans.

I wont have a stand

....... So long as im big spoon !
    It looks like it will be a fairly well sterilized event from a shooting point of view. Not a single mention of it in the headline posters. I'm not sure if there will even be clay shooting at it as you're so close to houses etc.
    They will probably have a couple of stands with shooting gear, tucked away in a corner away from the main drag. So it doesn't upset anyone.
    I hope I'm wrong but that just seems to be the way things are headed.

I'm going to skip it and head for the UK game fair instead. At least it's not pretending to be something it's not.

I thought so too actually, the posters do seem to be more orientated towards the country life so after contacting them they confirmed that the shoot is going ahead as well as many Dealers attending. They also told me " Plus virtually all the Birr competitions, stands & Attractions plus many new ones."

Flyers/leaflets will/are also going out to gunshops etc.

• Advertisement

Oh..... and there is 3-4 guns as prizes for the shoot inc a Blaser F16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I made a comment on previous thread......its not a game fair and we shouldn't support it. At least Birr they had some aspect of hunting and shooting. Save your money it's a glorified garden fete with peddlers pushing habidashery and other handmade wares.

I made a comment on previous thread......its not a game fair and we shouldn't support it. At least Birr they had some aspect of hunting and shooting. Save your money it's a glorified garden fete with peddlers pushing habidashery and other handmade wares.

Careful now... You might get threatened with defamation.. Allegedly... Wouldn't be the first, wont be the last!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

It's only defamation when it's a lie.

Irish Country Lifestyle Festival.

1. Where is the gun dogs
    2. Where is the terriers
    3. Where is the clay shooting
    4. Where is the list of gun/hunting stands.

I used to go to Birr....nah not this one, when they wont even use the title game fair, it should say come with a warning its bloom lite if you ask me.

It's only defamation when it's a lie..

It's only defamation if you KNOW it's a lie and continue to publish/spread it.

An opinion based on what you believe is just that, an opinion, and covered under the "Honest opinion" defense.

It's why we allow good and bad reviews here, but not people getting the boot in for the sake of it. After all, Article 40.6.1.i of the Irish Constitution says that the State guarantees the right of citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

From county Galway myself and don't think I'll be too interested.
    Depends what it grows into between now and then. The musketeers cross on the poster aren't overly enticing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I found it hard get out of bed when it was just down the road from me the last number of years. Fect if I'm going to Galway to see a bunch of flowers.

It's only defamation when it's a lie.

Irish Country Lifestyle Festival.

1. Where is the gun dogs
    2. Where is the terriers
    3. Where is the clay shooting
    4. Where is the list of gun/hunting stands.

I used to go to Birr....nah not this one, when they wont even use the title game fair, it should say come with a warning its bloom lite if you ask me.

Just had a look in another place. Terrier shows etc will be there. Still not going lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The UK fairs have an air rifle range so you can try before you buy. Says it all about gun laws here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

http://www.irishgameandcountryfair.com/

15th/16th June Cass

The images on that website certainly wouldn't encourage me to travel to the event, in fact I don't think I'd go to it if it were at the end of my garden ...

The one thing that did interest me on the website though, were the two contact phone numbers - a whole lot of callers asking why there's no shooting / hunting related stuff advertised for the event and telling them that you won't be going as a result, might do some good.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Ill be there displaying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Countrysports

In response to some queries : Yes there is clay pigeon shooting at the event, Yes there are gundogs at the event, Yes there are terrier & lurchers at the event & a good range of guns, tackle and country clothing

Gundogs at both Irish Game Fairs

Clay Shooting at Both Fairs

Terriers & Lurchers at both Events on Irish Game Fair web site

And for further information see the FREE to READ online magazine countrysportsandcountrylife

In response to some queries : Yes there is clay pigeon shooting at the event, Yes there are gundogs at the event, Yes there are terrier & lurchers at the event & a good range of guns, tackle and country clothing

Define a good range of guns and clothing? ? More than Shane's Castle last year?

I think maybe it's a bit unfair for us to be pre-empting that it's not worth going too, or that it's gonna be sh*te. Although I won't be attending this year, I am hoping to hear good things from those who do attend. I used to look forward to Birr fair years ago. Not so much in recent years. I'd love to see a real game fair in this country again.

The Competitions at Galway are listed with the competitions for Shanes on the irishgamefair site they are also covered in the FREE to READ online or hard copy version of countrysportsandcountrylife magazine. This event is a combination of the fair that was staged at Birr plus the existing Home & Garden event. It might interest readers to know that a major new attraction at the main English Game Fair is a garden show! We feel it is a great opportunity to promote country sports and the rural way of life to a family audience within an event that has something for everyone. This is certainly not a garden fete - as there is a good display of tackle, and very good ranges of guns and country clothing plus excellent countrysports competitions.

garv123 wrote: »
    Define a good range of guns and clothing? ? More than Shane's Castle last year?

At Shanes last year we had 8 gun dealers booked in plus two English gundealers doing gunfitting and repairs. Unfortunately one dealer had to pull out on the day, because of a bereavement, and four decided not to bring guns so we ended up with three dealers displaying guns. Although two had very extensive ranges I am sorry if you didn't see any you wished to purchase. At Galway we have 9 gundealers - two have advised they will not be bringing guns but I expect a good display of guns from the others. In terms of country clothing we had an excellent range on display at Shanes last year and will have an even better one this year with three new UK traders attending. At Galway we will also have a very good range of clothing to suit all pockets including a stand from FORTIS who have excellent technical clothing plus a Barbour stand, Edinburgh Clothing, Charlie Keenan, Flight & Bite, Mourne Outdoor, Casale2000, CentreGold and several others.

I suggest you actually find out what is on offer rather than jumping to conclusions on the basis of reading general publicity for event from our partners from the Home & Garden event which of course is NOT a 'garden fete with peddlers'. In some ways we were ahead of the game in adding gardening to the Game Fair concept the main English Fair has a gardening show as a main attraction this year! And of course it is being promoted as 'a Festival of the British Countryside'.

Obviously 2019 is a transitional year but we have excellent game fair competitions with exceptional prizes, the support of all of the countrysports organisations exhibiting, the Irish Stickmaking Championships, good range of tackle & boats, an excellent range of gundealers and country clothing retailers etc. etc If you know of any garden fetes offering these Game Fair attractions -let me know I'd be interested in having a 'day out' at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

At Shanes last year we had 8 gun dealers booked in plus two English gundealers doing gunfitting and repairs

Will there be any gunfitters in galway?

• Advertisement

GolfVI wrote: »
    Will there be any gunfitters in galway?

Unfortunately not this year - there will be a gunfitter at Shanes Castle 29/30. If you want to make the trip I'll send you a couple of half price admission vouchers and the gunsmith carrying out the service is doing it at a special game fair price.

Advertisement