Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Closing schools for elections

• 24-05-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Surely this is as archaic as Ireland gets.

I would love to know how many villages and towns genuinely don't have an alternative facility, e.g. a GAA dressing room, a community centre, etc.

To me, this is another practice which needs to change. Every school should be looked at as to whether it is really necessary for them to close.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would love to know how many villages and towns genuinely don't have an alternative facility, e.g. a GAA dressing room, a community centre, etc.

To me, this is another practice which needs to change. Every school should be looked at as to whether it is really necessary for them to close.

Why? What is your problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We should put it to the vote..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Do you think Ireland is the only country in the world that uses schools as polling stations or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Kids wrecking your head today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

its one day. hardly archaic. where are people going to vote if the schools stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Surely in each locality, we could hold them in some politically well connected's hotel or private property instead, and enter into a nice cronie contract with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 edora91

I've lived in 3 European countries so far, every single one used schools for voting. Not much originality I'm afraid, schools are just convenient and provide the necessary infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,023 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Logistically a nightmare. The government controls the schools and they can be guaranteed to be a primary school reasonably close to every population.

Who is going to coordinate seeing if the GAA will give their hall in this village and the soccer club in the next one, or maybe if the local pub has a free function room on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Nobelium wrote: »
    Surely in each locality, we could hold them in some politically well connected's hotel or private property instead, and enter into a nice cronie contract with them ?

Not that long ago since it was done that way. A great way to guarantee free and fair elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Returning Officers are very reluctant to change venues, as they get accused of favouring or discriminating particular politicians who's support base is nearer or further from the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭blackbox

The teachers love it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of places have no suitable alternative; and the state-paid-for schools are presumably rent-free too.

We trialled a Saturday vote - fiscal compact referendum or childrens rights referendum I think? - and it didn't have any major increase in turnout. They'd never triall it for an election in case it somehow caused a significant reduction in turnout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

If all the people who hate Ireland were to leave Ireland then we would have a much better country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

If all the people who hate Ireland were to leave Ireland then we would have a much better country.

If all the liars spinners and shysters left you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of places have no suitable alternative; and the state-paid-for schools are presumably rent-free too.

We trialled a Saturday vote - fiscal compact referendum or childrens rights referendum I think? - and it didn't have any major increase in turnout. They'd never triall it for an election in case it somehow caused a significant reduction in turnout.

If it makes no difference to turnout and it keeps the schools open then why not do it on a weekend day? Plenty of people are disadvantaged by primary schools closing when they are in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I want a referendum on this. In all elections and referenda in this state to date voting has been limited to people aged 18-125. For balance I want this referendum limited to people aged 0-18.

And another thing:
    While Thursday has been traditional voting day in this country, some years ago the government moved a poll to a Friday to facilitate students travelling home for the weekend. This was hailed as a progressive move. Of course it was entirely coincidental that the students were thought to favour the govenment's viewpoint on that particular issue. Now, come the next referendum, students were not expected to support the government and the voting reverted to Thursday to keep them away. I want this referendum to take place Monday through Friday with the schools closed for the five days..

When I was a national school kid we had a son of a bitch of a brute of a teacher who knew nothing about education and we welcomed any day off we could get. I don't hear adults complaining when they unexpectedly get a bonus of a day's rest. What did Brendan Behan say about the begrudgers?

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it makes no difference to turnout and it keeps the schools open then why not do it on a weekend day? Plenty of people are disadvantaged by primary schools closing when they are in work.

Naw. Jews don't like doing it on Saturday and Protestants don't like doing it on Sunday. You could end up with the Pope as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 istooptoconcur

here, here, you have made a reasonable point. perhaps all polling should be conducted at the constituancy's civic offices? community's really should have central hubs; focal points for civil discussion and civil rituals such as polling. disturbing schooling seems like a slap dash, provisional way to go about serving civic process. more power (and money) to democratic process!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

iv no problem with using schools. they are perfect for the job,

the problem is closing the schools. why. everry school is closed for huge parts of the year anyway such as easter, haloween, mid term breaks, christmass and the 2=3 months of the summer. surely these elections could be aranged for a day that there would be no school anyway

iv no problem with using schools. they are perfect for the job,

the problem is closing the schools. why. everry school is closed for huge parts of the year anyway such as easter, haloween, mid term breaks, christmass and the 2=3 months of the summer. surely these elections could be aranged for a day that there would be no school anyway

I don't think that would work with our system, e.g. we don't have fixed terms for Dail elections. Even if that were changed, your suggestion might not suit farmers frantically saving hay in summer or old people trying to negotiate frosty footpaths in December.
    Perks are a part of life? Have you ever known an adult to turn one down? Kids neither. Dammit, so many people forget that they were kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

feargale wrote: »
    I don't think that would work with our system, e.g. we don't have fixed terms for Dail elections. Even if that were changed, your suggestion might not suit farmers frantically saving hay in summer or old people trying to negotiate frosty footpaths in December.
    Perks are a part of life? Have you ever known an adult to turn one down? Kids neither. Dammit, so many people forget that they were kids.

just because its human nature to take any perk going doesnt mean we should encorage it when there are plenty of other options available

not sure where you think we are living. so far this year we have only had a few frosty mornings ( i know i was up on roofs during that time) and no hay making weather yet. last few days were good but not proper hay weather. farmers are busy but most arnt so up the walls that they couldnt spare 30min to vote . contrcters maybe

there are a large no of days off from school that would suit perfectly. easter, most of the summer, halloween

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

European election dates are not in our power to change by more than a few days. We hold the locals on the same day to reduce other dates

Fixed-term parliaments are turning out great in the UK.... so no, we won't be doing that I hope. Dail elections will occur when the Government falls or decides to as they always have. Moving the Presidential one would require expecting a President to take a short term and never having one die or quit. By-elections have a time limit on how long you can hold on to them but there will often but not always be a date schools aren't open

Putting important referendums on with other things has been shown to have slightly unexpected results which is why big ticket ones will be held on their own; not with Euro/Local or Presidential. This is about the only thing that could consistently be scheduled for school holidays.

Having them over the Easter holiday will have certain parts of the christian right up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Voting should be on Saturdays for various reasons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Voting should be on Saturdays for various reasons.

No they should not for for various reasons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Jim2007 wrote: »
    No they should not for for various reasons!!!
    Such as?

Advertisement