Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tiredness/tightness in back?

Options
  • 23-05-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi

New to the forum and hoping some of the experienced runners here could help. I am mid 30's, very active from a team related sports perspective which is obviously not quite the same as heading out for a run.

So i have had a few serious knee injuries and trying to get a bit of base fitness back by doing some road running (5-8k depending on how I'm feeling at 4:30-4:45 pace).

Issue is that, not too long into the runs (c. 2k or so) I am getting a tightness/tiredness in my back which i can feel is then shortening my strides significantly and my pace as a result. My legs themselves don't feel tired/heavy and not particularly out of breath during the run.

Just wondering if others have similar issues or if this is a common feeling while running? i.e. Is this just that my fitness levels aren't high enough for the pace I am running or would this point elsewhere potentially such as poor running technique, a weakness in my back, other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

Staying away from any medical opinions or anything, this sounds a lot like my experience when I first started road running. I was coming from a similar background and always had tightness in my lower back. I got really bad shin splints too. The shin splints eventually forced me to the physio and it turned out my calves were so tight they were effectively doing nothing in terms of shock absorption, so the impact was mainly going into my shin bones and lower back. A lot of incredibly painful, golf ball assisted, work on the calves and a regime of stretches eventually resolved the issue really well, the mobility improvement in my back was amazing. I used some off the shelf orthotics that they physio recommended for a while too and I haven’t had he same issues again. I’m not the best with stretching these days, but I still always try to do something for the calves, stair drops in particular are really good. The other thing I’ve really learned from here is that at least 80% of road running should be at what feels like a pointlessly slow pace. It’s probably the most difficult adjustment to make coming from a soccer or gaa background because we’re so used to being flogged to death in nearly every session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Turkish1 wrote: »
    Hi

New to the forum and hoping some of the experienced runners here could help. I am mid 30's, very active from a team related sports perspective which is obviously not quite the same as heading out for a run.

So i have had a few serious knee injuries and trying to get a bit of base fitness back by doing some road running (5-8k depending on how I'm feeling at 4:30-4:45 pace).

Issue is that, not too long into the runs (c. 2k or so) I am getting a tightness/tiredness in my back which i can feel is then shortening my strides significantly and my pace as a result. My legs themselves don't feel tired/heavy and not particularly out of breath during the run.

Just wondering if others have similar issues or if this is a common feeling while running? i.e. Is this just that my fitness levels aren't high enough for the pace I am running or would this point elsewhere potentially such as poor running technique, a weakness in my back, other?

Welcome to the forum.

I get a tight lower back as my pelvis tends to go out of line.

I don't work in km but I think that your km pace is fairly fast for someone new to running, unless you already have an excellent fitness level? Try slowing down as it'll make a world of difference. If you are not sure what pace to be running at try one of the pace calculators like run fast coach or Jack Daniels.

If your knees have been at you in the past be careful starting out.

I would highly recommend a gait analysis somewhere like Amphibian King or the Run Hub. No obligation to buy but they would assess based on your running gait, runners to suit you and provide correct cushioning.

Do you stretch at all after a run? I was at a pilates class on Wednesday and giving out about my tight hips and I was just told if you don't have time to stretch then cut two minutes off your run and make time as it is so important.

Also try running on grass and see if it eases as running on concrete does none of us any favours.

Hopefully some of that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Thanks both for the feedback. To address a few of the points raised:

I stretch quite frequently, although usually focus on hamstrings & glutes. Will do some work on calfs and see how that goes. could be more frequent at the moment.

A friend had suggested gait analysis so will have a look at that. In my own head (and no doubt it likely is just that) I feel like I run extremely upright but does the gait analysis take into account that type of thing or more just where on your feet you're landing/pressuring?

Pace - yeah fitness levels would be high. I suppose the plan would be to build base fitness through road running over a 6-8 week period and get back to playing then. In that regard, dont think there will be the benefit there of slowing down.

Knees are fine and alot of closely monitored rehab taken place so no concerns there and as saod woll be back to grass soonish

Advertisement