Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greasy cakes

Options
  • 23-05-2019 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

I'm hoping for advice from all you lovely people. Recently I've been baking a lot, apple tarts,cupcakes,sponge cakes etc. Most turn out perfectly,but when it comes to the Victoria sponge recipe,cupcakes etc. The cake usually comes out looking very greasy, even though they taste fine. I read that it might be over greasing the tin to hold the greaseproof paper, so I cut that out.

I usually use 'cheaper' ingredients, Aldi/Lidl/Supervalu etc.

Does anyone have advice, cause I don't want to give up my new found hobby. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I wonder is your butter too soft when you go to use it? I've noticed if I cheat and soften butter in the microwave when making fairy cakes etc they can end up dark and greasy - I guess the mixture creams together and emulsifies better when you use "room temperature" butter (meaning a bit cooler than it would be when left in the kitchen this weather - if I was baking today, I'd pop the butter in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up before using it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

dee_mc wrote: »
    I wonder is your butter too soft when you go to use it?

I thought the same. There is a girl on youtube called Cupcake Jemma who has a vid on 'What's wrong with my cupcakes'. She discusses butter quite a bit and I think this was one of the things she mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Thanks so much for your replies. I'll admit I have been guilty of softening the butter in the microwave, but I've stopped doing that. Yesterday I made an apple cake and the butter was room temperature, maybe still too warm?
    The strange thing is the cake,though greasy looking, was delicious!

Thanks again. :)

Advertisement