Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Where the characters actually ended up is fundementally grand, so my first reaction to the episode was mildly positive, purely because I expected them to make an utter hames of it narratively - pull something utterly absurd out of the bag just for the sake of being shocking.

I can make peace with where the pieces lie on the board as we exit Westeros, but the episode only becomes indescribably more disappointing upon rewatching and on retrospective thinking.

Jon's fate is grand in itself and a fine send off, but the whole Greyworm angle was a bit farcical.

Jon murders the Queen while Greyworm has his hands full butchering prisoners, but the latter for some reason decides to then imprison Jon Snow for murdering his friend, leader and Queen and later accepts him being sent to the Night's Watch as justice....OK.

The episode had some slightly better dialogue in spots compared to preceeding episodes, though "I know a killer when I see one", in the context of everything, is so absurdly bad it almost feels like a cheap inside joke.

Poor Kit Harrington can only do so much given the writers have not had anything remotely intelligent for him to say this entire season.

Emilia Clarke did a very decent job of portraying a disturbingly child-like manic Queen in that final scene to her credit, and the backdrop of Greyworm executing Lannister prisoners as Jon strides in to confront her was a fantastic mood-setter.

The death itself was completely hollow though and carried almost no real emotional weight, though I didn't have too much of an issue with the symbolic melting of the Iron Throne or the questions raised over the level of sentient thinking attributable to dragons.

There is so much wrong with the episode and wider season I just can just accept that without too much critical thinking.

The whole climax of Daenery's journey is just absurdly flat, rushed and poorly handled however.

Hark back to pivotal moments like Ned Stark's beheading, Robb's murder, Joffrey's death, the Mountain crushing the Viper's skull, Tyrion shooting Tywin, Jon facing down Ramsey.

You would imagine that Jon Snow murdering Daenerys Targaryen would inevitably feature in that list, but it doesn't, and it doesn't even come close either. It's just something that happens in a clumsy, unconvincing manner because it needs to and doesn't connect on any level.

Also, Jon also could've somewhat credibly claimed Daenerys melted the Iron Throne and simply flew off on Drogon, but that wouldn't have allowed the 'new world' to develop as the Unsullied and Dothraki would've remained in place awaiting her return, so they had to learn she was dead.

Tyrion discovering the bodies of Jaime and Cersei was so sloppy as to defy belief. In 'The Bells', we see the Red Keep completely collapses on top of them; the finale shows the crypts are not only still entirely intact, but arches, walls and ceilings that we literally saw crumble to dust under the crushing weight of the collapsing keep are magically restored.

That one really angers me; the writers wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They wanted Jaime and Cersei to die in high, dramatic and emotional fashion, but also wanted to provide Tyrion with an element of closure by easily discovering their bodies....while clearly not giving the remotest **** whatsoever about blatant inconsistency.

The means by which Bran came to sit on the throne was almost offensively lazy, utterly daft and completely unearned.

Don't really have an issue with Bran in principle, but that scene almost like bad comedy. Bran becomes King...just because.

The future of Westeros placed in the hands of a crippled boy without as much as a token discussion, not even the faintest facade of plot intelligence, because the writers are in a rush and just want to wrap everything up while expending as little brain power as possible.

Hard to believe this is actually the same show I started watching in 2011.

Yeah, we'll devote 10 minutes to a completely unnecessary scene where Tyrion, for some absurd reason, needs to actually explain to Jon why Daenery's has to go.

It's grand, we'll make up the time by just rushing through the bit where they chose a ruler to ultimately sit on the Iron Throne...you know, the bit these past 8 seasons have been building towards.

Apart from a load of other bits we carefully built up over the same time and then sort of pushed aside because we got tired of spinning so many plates and decided to fling most of them out the window rather than make any effort to set them down.

In the end, absolutely nothing is earned this season - and certainly not in this episode - and pretty much nothing carries any weight as a consequence.

This show used to be about the complex 'game' that everyone, in all walks of life, had to play, no matter what their ultimate objective. This season has been an insult to that premise and what GoT used to be, but this episode is particularly exposed as being utterly braindead when Benioff and Weiss have no major spectacle to mask their scripting.

This episode fails to really connect on any level emotionally and just feels like a box-ticking exercise; an hour the writers devoted to lazily tying up the remaining threads with as little effort as possible once they'd achieved all their big battle set-pieces.

Looking back on the season, 'A Knight of Seven Kingdoms' was a genuinely strong episode and head-and-shoulders above the rest in terms of character interaction and dialogue, tellingly not written by Benioff and Weiss. The only episode I got a true 'Game of Thrones' vibe when watching.

First episode was OK, and without revisiting my thoughts on E3-5, there's no denying that there was tremendous and seriously impressive spectacle on offer at least.

And to think that Benioff and Weiss openly talked about how they hoped the finale would be compared with that of Breaking Bad and go down as one of the best finales in television history. It almost defies belief that they would say such a thing.

As an ending on paper the finale - and the fate determined for most of the characters - is perfectly fine and there's a nice level of closure to it that can often be missing from shows. I like that aspect of it.

It's just executed extremely badly and my impression as we leave Westeros behind us is that I feel like I'm still waiting for the "real" Game of Thrones.

Goes down in my books anyway with the likes of Dexter and Lost for letdowns. It's not a direct comparison before anyone takes issue with parallels being drawn with either.

Great post. Sums up my feelings on GoT better than I ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PressRun wrote: »
    The dragons actions would require it to understand metaphorical thinking, which is just ridiculous even if they are supposed to be intelligent animals.

I agree in a sense, but it's also been shown that there is something of a psychic link between Dany and Drogon. Not warging, but I remember in particular when the Sons of the Harpys were attacking Dany in the fighting pits and Dany et al were surrounded, Dany closed her eyes for a few seconds, and all of a sudden Drogon could be heard in the distance and flew in to save her. We also had Drogon looking very happy (as much as a dragon can) when Dany and Jon flew to the waterfall outside Winterfell and started getting it on.

I'm sure there may have been other such occasions. I just think it's possible Drogon knew what the throne was and what it represented to Dany through their connection (and how it was fighting so hard for it which ultimately led to her death) rather than understanding the idea behind a throne in a metaphorical sense.

Time to unfollow these threads. Goodbye game of thrones. It's been a sad few weeks for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Time to unfollow these threads. Goodbye game of thrones. It's been a sad few weeks for you.

Not sticking around for season 9: Dany's Revenge?

Drogon drops her off at Kinvara over in Essos for some red priestess resurrection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

J. Marston wrote: »

Drogon drops her off at Kinvara over in Essos

Well there is a Scariff in the Star Wars universe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

J. Marston wrote: »

Drogon drops her off at Kinvara over in Essos for some red priestess resurrection.

Can't wait to see how the natives of the Isle of Naath react when Greyworm and the Unsullied arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how the natives of the Isle of Naath react when Greyworm and the Unsullied arrive.

Can't wait to see the disappointment on the faces of the local pimps when they realise exactly who they are.

Was it explained why exactly they are going there? So the bould Torgo can find himself another Miss Andy?

And while I'm at it, why was Tyrion messing with the chairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Was it explained why exactly they are going there? So the bould Torgo can find himself another Miss Andy?

Because of his comedy-OCD which was never mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Presume it's so Greyworm can protect Miss Sundays's people, seeing as they're a peaceful bunch of folks.
    He said as much to her at some stage I think.

• Advertisement

Because of his comedy-OCD which was never mentioned before.

And the punchline being they got messed up again when the other council members had to pull them out and sit down? Excuse me while I dash off to Casualty to get my sides stitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Arya went West
    Drogon went East
    Jon went North
    The writing went South
    :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

PressRun wrote: »
    The dragons actions would require it to understand metaphorical thinking, which is just ridiculous even if they are supposed to be intelligent animals.

Funny quote I saw on twitter on this:
    This is quite possibly the smartest dragon in the world, as it inherently understood that it was the corrupting power of the Iron Throne that led to Dany’s downfall, and not Jon Snow.

Or it’s the stupidest dragon in the world, as it saw a knife in Dany and assumed it was the evil chair made of knives who stabbed her, and then had its revenge. TAKE THAT, KNIFEY CHAIR. MY QUEEN, YOU HAVE BEEN AVENGED.

I think it was more the dragon version of being livid at someone and turning and punching a wall rather than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The chair scene was a throwback to season 3 when Tyrion came in drunk to a small council meeting and dragged the chair along the ground, and Tywin gave him a look similar to the one Tyrion gave in the finale

Doesn't make it any funnier or more interesting of course, just provides a reason for it. It still had little impact on most viewers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Presumably he's heading there to carry on Daenerys' legacy and liberate it because it's full of slavers, as Missandei was a slave herself. Remember her only possession that Daenerys gave Grey Worm in one of the last episodes, the slave collar, that he threw in the fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

From the books:

A large species of butterfly on Naath is a carrier for a horrific disease that makes the flesh literally slough off of a man's bones, but the Naathi themselves are immune to it. For centuries, would-be foreign invaders would end up succumbing to the "butterfly fever", and the Naathi say none maintained a presence on the island for more than a single year. It also deterred slavers for generations. However, slavers eventually realized that if they only stayed on the island for a few hours in quick raids and then departed with captives, they would not contract the disease - and better still if they attacked only at night, because the butterflies are only active during the daylight hours. Naath has still technically never been "conquered" by outside forces due to fear of staying too long and catching the butterfly fever, but otherwise the island's society has been severely damaged by frequent slaver raids.

Greyworm and the lads might want to reconsider their trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Nothing a few butterflies won't sort out

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I think the reason a lot of people are annoyed is due to the fact that the standard of the story was very high but it eventually tailed of into Hollywood territory. Most of the 'good' guys made it out alive, which probably would not have happened in the way the story was being told when based on the books.

Also, for me, I just don't see the anointing of Bran as king. He was a useless b*stard most of the time. I would imagine that the people will not have heard of Bran's story, but certainly Jon Snow's story would be known throughout the kingdoms. The man has fought many battles, he avenged the death of the innocents of KL. So for me it would have made sense for him to be the reluctant king.

All in all it is a great series which never bored me but was a little let down by it's ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

gargargar wrote: »
    I think the reason a lot of people are annoyed is due to the fact that the standard of the story was very high but it eventually tailed of into Hollywood territory. Most of the 'good' guys made it out alive, which probably would not have happened in the way the story was being told when based on the books.

Also, for me, I just don't see the anointing of Bran as king. He was a useless b*stard most of the time. I would imagine that the people will not have heard of Bran's story, but certainly Jon Snow's story would be known throughout the kingdoms. The man has fought many battles, he avenged the death of the innocents of KL. So for me it would have made sense for him to be the reluctant king.

All in all it is a great series which never bored me but was a little let down by it's ending.

Tyrion declared that nobody has a better story than Bran (though Bran was absent for the entirety of season 5)

What about someone who died and was literally brought back to life by a fire god? How is this not talked about more?

The kingdom kind of forgot that Jon was resurrected.

Sam: Hey Jon, didn't you swear a vow to the Night's watch that you would shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children, wear no crowns and win no glory? Didn't you kind of do all of that (except the children bit)?
    Jon: Until death
    Sam: Huh?
    Jon: The pledge ends upon death. Which has not happened for you, Sam Tarly, father of children, possessor of title, holder of glory. You are an oath breaker, and deserter, but nobody actually cares about oaths or laws after season 4.

Tyrion declared that nobody has a better story than Bran (though Bran was absent for the entirety of season 5)

What about someone who died and was literally brought back to life by a fire god? How is this not talked about more?

Sam: Hey Jon, didn't you swear a vow to the Night's watch that you would shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children, wear no crowns and win no glory? Don't you kind of do all of that (except the children bit)?
    Jon: The pledge ends upon death. Which has not happened for you, Sam Tarly, father of children, possessor of title, holder of glory. You are an oath breaker, and deserter, but nobody actually cares about oaths or laws after season 4.

Tyrion himself had a much better story than Bran.

Bran got carried around by some people and then got turned autistic by a tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Tyrion himself had a much better story than Bran.

Bran got carried around by some people and then got turned autistic by a tree.

I literally just snorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Let's all take a moment for a musical interlude..

:D :P

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let's all take a moment for a musical interlude..

:D :P

And while we're in this general area, I reckon this should be Arya's own anthem:
    I had seven faces
    Thought I knew which one to wear
    I'm sick of spending these lonely nights
    Training myself not to care
    :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRNCNZ_TL4

sULvFfp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Here’s my take on Drogon flaming the chair:

He was hocking up a big throat-full of flame to drop on Jon’s head but he didn’t do it because the Targs and the dragons have a connection. He then flamed the wall to the left of the throne, and the throne itself, to clear a runway for takeoff, because he needs a bit of a running start and there wouldn’t have been space otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Sam: Hey Jon, didn't you swear a vow to the Night's watch that you would shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children, wear no crowns and win no glory? Didn't you kind of do all of that (except the children bit)?

I keep seeing this and wondering how it was missed. But I’m pretty sure Tyrion meant Bran has the best story because he has *everyones* stories.

He’s the living embodiment of all living history and people and kings all gone. it’s mistakes and victories all there from the past.

He’s exactly the right person to be king given all that knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I keep seeing this and wondering how it was missed. But I’m pretty sure Tyrion meant Bran has the best story because he has *everyones* stories.

He’s the living embodiment of all living history and people and kings all gone. it’s mistakes and victories all there from the past.

He’s exactly the right person to be king given all that knowledge

Maybe. Although he's already made his own mistake allowing the North to breakaway so maybe he's nothing special. Not sure who would be defending his reign if a Lord with a half decent army made a play either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

dsmythy wrote: »
    Maybe. Although he's already made his own mistake allowing the North to breakaway so maybe he's nothing special. Not sure who would be defending his reign if a Lord with a half decent army made a play either.

Well he. An see everywhere in real time.
    Loads in fact I don’t know how many but loads of the noble houses have been wiped out and the kingdoms need to be rebuilt and restored.
    No better man.

Unless the surviving houses get greedy and power hungry but that was usually a Lannister thing and there wiped out.

Who gets their castle? Who was minding the tarlys? Sam didn’t go home and claim lordship. Democracy and life will just trundle along on those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

Wow, so much butthurt in this thread. Like somebody took their last rolo or their rice crispies were soggier than usual this morning. It's like an echo chamber. Is it hip to hate the show now?

There's a lot of people who are not capable of formulating their own opinions and go with whatever reddit says. At least provide an alternative instead of just whinging and crying about it. It's perfectly fine to dislike something, but this thread is a train wreck of copied opinions. Dexter is comparable to GOT? Not even close, they are not even remotely similar.

People are not able to see past the opinions which they are told to have on reddit, facebook, twitter etc.

There's also a subsection of people who like to generally accuse others of butthurt but offer nothing else themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm confused to why people think Bran planned all this. I thought he could see everything in the past, not the future? He couldn't have known for sure that Dany would destory King's Landing.

I agree. His ability to see is not perfect yet. At some point in S7 or S8 he said "I have to get better at seeing".

Advertisement