Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current Requirement for Irish Guns to be Proofed??

Options
  • 21-05-2019 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of talk about guns needing to be reproofed with the new Law for steel that is proposed.

At the moment is there any requirement for guns coming in to be proofed??

I dont think there is as there were turkish guns coming in before without proof marks.

Anyone clear this up for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I see a lot of talk about guns needing to be reproofed with the new Law for steel that is proposed.

I dont think there is as there were turkish guns coming in before without proof marks.

Anyone clear this up for me?

The American guns are not formally proofed either, but i believe that most American makers do proof their firearms, they certainly test fire them. It is wise especially in a country like America where the national passtime is sueing people. Any American made firearms i have bought that came through the north were proofed.

The rest of Europe do proof their guns, as for the Turks, god knows what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bordglas

https://www.thejournal.ie/ammunition-garda-tender-4144315-Jul2018/

This will raise a few eyebrows if lead is banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Bordglas wrote: »

Smith and Wesson model 10's ? Are the eru's still driving Ford Zodiacs too ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kermitpwee wrote: »

No.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Relax,most guns before they are sold to the general public come into either France,Germany,UK,Belguim,Italy or Spanish wholesalers.Whos countries laws state,for a long time now, that any gun sold to the public must be proofed to their national standards...Hence you find some US guns with German or UK proof house marks As Cass said there is no requirement here,as most of our guns come from these sources,they are considerd proofed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Guns coming from Northern Ireland, part of the UK, will all have been proofed in either Birmingham or London - location of the two proof houses in UK.

Turkey is not a member of the CIP - Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives - and every Turkish-made gun sold in the UK has had to have been proofed on arrival in UK for onward sales. The same applies to ALL guns made in the USA. Cass is correct in saying that any US gunmaker worth his salt will at least test-fire the firearms they make, but those coming directly from the USA to RoI will only have had this process undertaken on them. Unlike the CIP nations, the USA has no federal proof houses, only a set of dimensional pressure and cartridge standards that are recommended, NOT compulsory. SAAMI is an institute - a conglomeration of manufacturers with agreed standards that are not legally binding.

All countries signed up to the CIP regulations have them as part of the legal structure of the nation. They are NOT voluntary, as the SAAMI specs are, but compulsory and legally binding.

The current (2015) C.I.P. member states are:

Austria
    Belgium
    Chile
    Czech Republic
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Hungary
    Italy
    Russia
    Slovakia
    Spain
    United Arab Emirates
    United Kingdom
    Most recent member state:
    The United Arab Emirates became a member state on 9 April 2008. Local companies like Caracal International L.L.C. and ADCOM Manufacturing will benefit from a local proof house.

Bordglas wrote: »

Er No..LE and military are EXEMPT from such a directive.As they must have the most effective weapons possible to dispatch unruly EU peasents...Er... Subdue any terrorist threat to the state.;)
    Intresting mismash of military and police ammo there.Think I'd rather be hit by a 9mm FMJ military round,than by a 38 semi hollow point,which technically said is an expansion round,and actually to use it against military personel is a war crime under the Hauge convention,but is totally legal for a police force to use against civillians.
    The HK "body armour breaker" SMG, good at penetrating body armour,not so much at stopping assailants.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Er No..LE and military are EXEMPT from such a directive.As they must have the most effective weapons possible to dispatch unruly EU peasents...Er... Subdue any terrorist threat to the state.;)
    Intresting mismash of military and police ammo there.Think I'd rather be hit by a 9mm FMJ military round,than by a 38 semi hollow point,which technically said is an expansion round,and actually to use it against military personel is a war crime under the Hauge convention,but is totally legal for a police force to use against civillians.
    The HK "body armour breaker" SMG, good at penetrating body armour,not so much at stopping assailants.

If that's the MP7 17 cal, you can get ballistic tip ammo for it, which will make a really nasty impact. The AP ammo will just make a knitting needle wound in flesh, alright, but I would not like to see the damage on flesh once it pierces body armour.

Will be dragging all the body armour fibres and being deformed will proably either break up like the 5.56 M16 or like the Russian 5.45 AK 74 deform and tumble in the body cavity.:eek:Either way messy to deal with.

Advertisement