Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Barry [HBO]

• 27-03-2018 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

A disillusioned former Marine-turned-assassin reluctantly accepts a job in Los Angeles, where he inadvertently discovers an interest in the performing arts.

A tour-de-force from Bill Hader.. some top-notch acting, writing and direction all from the man himself.

Co-written with Alec Berg - who is a writer and producer on Silicon Valley.

Early days but could be great based on the pilot and have no doubt that Bill Hader can carry this on his own.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭bemak

watched the first one last night. really like Bill Hader and there were one or two funny bits but I would hope that it improves a bit in the next few. Granted its the pilot and they're just setting the scene, but I was expecting more.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

It looks very promising. Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The first episode was a lot of fun I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,927 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭alanc2003

anyone else watching this? Just finished the 6th episode which was brilliant. a fantastic show, wouldnt have been a big fan of Bill Hader but he is great in this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really enjoyed, especially the last few episodes as it was extremley dark. Some of the plot holes really annoyed me though
    It made no sense for Barry to have such a public Facebook page and the fact he remained friends with the guy he killed in the car, also the fact it took the detective until the very end to figure out that Barry was linked to the drug gang war. It was so blatantly obvious he had a role to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Easily the best 8 episodes I have seen in years, so dark so funny.

i watch like 2 tv shows (archer/preacher) the wife watches pretty much all of the others. I am not a TV show fan, i dont really watch tv. But I read an interview with Henry Winkler and thats I how I found about Barry.

Some actual WTF moments in the last 3 episodes but I seriously doubt any tv show will top
    Leroy Jenkins
    that was ****ing hilarious.

The end scenes are brilliant, i hope it ends there and thats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The end scenes are brilliant, i hope it ends there and thats that.

Already renewed for a second season.

This was the surprise of the year so far, for me, never really thought Hader was capable of anything other than slapstick but this was a fantastic dark dramedy with a lot of social themes like PTSD and depression thrown into a very silly concept that just worked so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Totally agree. Found it to be one of the best new shows I've seen in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just heard how it was worth keeping going to the 2nd/3rd episode.

I did and then Binged it all! :eek:

How they tied all this together is mad but it just.. it just worked!

Definitely will watch the 2nd season.

Aside:
    I looked up the wristband he had on. It had something like psalm 91:1 sempre fidelis on it.

This site here explains how it's considered "The “Warrior’s Psalm"
    https://excellentorpraiseworthy.org/2008/09/psalm-91-the-warriors-psalm-2/
    Wiki says:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psalm_91
    Psalm 91 is known as the Soldier's Psalm. Soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines often carry a wallet-sized copy with them when deployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I was on the fence for the first few episodes but eventually started to really enjoy it and wanting more.

Good show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Absolutely fantastic first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

Impressed so far with this. It’s about a hit man who joins an acting class by mistake just started season 1 on demand .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Probably my favourite new show from 2018 and the new season has started brilliantly. Bill Hader has been so good in it, too, never thought he had it in him. Everyone should watch it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: threads merged.

Great start back, really hope this season can live up to the last.

Cina wrote: »
    Probably my favourite new show from 2018 and the new season has started brilliantly. Bill Hader has been so good in it, too, never thought he had it in him. Everyone should watch it!

dont know how i missed this only heard about it last week, looking forward to catching up and the new season. !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really enjoying season 1

Absolute cracker this week and that ending :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

This show is brilliant.

Best episode yet. This is an amazing show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

That episode was epic. Getting better and better.

The daughter :D

Unearthly wrote: »
    That episode was epic. Getting better and better.

The daughter :D

Yeah, she was something else, plus...

The father :eek: Really interesting character I thought. And that roundhouse kick he delivered at the end reminded me of Rex Kwon Do from Napoleon Dynamite: "Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it." :D

Just a great episode and I wanted it to keep going...not watch the next episode straight away, but this one to keep going. It was almost like a movie within the overall series which just focused on the characters/relationship of Barry and Fuches as they deal with some random mad shít one day and night.

As well as the gripping drama, I actually spat saliva onto my laptop screen from laughing out loud at some of comedic moments, ffs! I'm surprised that my favourite episode so far and possibly the funniest didn't feature Noho Hank or Gene Cousineau at all.

This is a really good show, and Bill Hader is knocking it out of the park with both his acting and writing/directing.

It was definitely a very different episode to anything we've seen so far, but it was just so amazingly done - well written, well acted and well shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Season 2 was fantastic from start to finish, what a season of TV. The finale was superb - tense, dramatic, masterfully done. Looking forward to season 3 already.

This is without a doubt one of the best shows that has ever been broadcast.

Roar wrote: »
    Season 2 was fantastic from start to finish, what a season of TV. The finale was superb - tense, dramatic, masterfully done. Looking forward to season 3 already.

have to wait until wed night to watch, will this be the finale to season two? loved it.

cozar wrote: »
    have to wait until wed night to watch, will this be the finale to season two? loved it.
    Yeah, they're 8 episode seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭pedatron

Ah lads that was absolute belter of a show. Some palate cleanser after enduring Game of Thrones each week! NoHo Hank is some absolute gem of a character! So many funny moments. The Slight Spoiler:
    Heroin table
    was my highlight this week!

Advertisement