Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Energy monitor

Options
  • 17-05-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

I am currently beginning the process of looking at getting a solar PV setup installed. We have a night meter so can work out our day Vs night usage but I would like to try and work out the base load on the house to work out the economics of what size of array to install and whether or not to go for battery storage.
    Can anyone recommend an energy monitor? Real time readout and logging of historical use would be ideal but I'm not wanting to spend much.
    One of the installers mentioned the owl units but there are various models any none of the sellers I can see look particularly reputable.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I bought an owl e intuition this week from Amazon for £70. Yet to install it

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got an Owl intuition monitor from eBay a few months ago for £7.99 incl shipping

Easy to setup because the instructions are very clear. Will give you a good idea of your base load and you can see it spiking when switching on the kettle, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bear in mind if you buy a monitor with a battery (eg AA) powered CT clamp, it won't give accurate figures when your PV system is generating power.

They usually assume the power factor is 1.0, which it isn't always with PV. My energy monitor shows wild figures in the morning and early evening, which look more like our actual usage added to the PV output.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks for that, I'm only really after the monitor to inform the decision of rhe payback period for getting PV, what size of array to go for and whether or not to get a battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

You will need to get the energy monitor that has solar PV interface built-in AND programmed for the dual way flow of the electrons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm only really after the monitor to inform the decision of rhe payback period for getting PV, what size of array to go for and whether or not to get a battery.

A basic meter such as the owl would work fine for your analysis bit in decision making. If you do go the Pv route, and get it professionally installed or done under the seai grant system, a fully functional monitoring system would be fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I am sure actually I have an old energy monitor around somewhere that might still be working. Might see if I can find it, anyone here is more than welcome to it rather than me throwing it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

n97 mini wrote: »
    Bear in mind if you buy a monitor with a battery (eg AA) powered CT clamp, it won't give accurate figures when your PV system is generating power.

They usually assume the power factor is 1.0, which it isn't always with PV. My energy monitor shows wild figures in the morning and early evening, which look more like our actual usage added to the PV output.

Can i ask you to quote a system that doesnt rely on batteries !?
    You are aware of owl having the setting inside the software already ...

Your spikes are there , i guess, because you have a diverter and the owl sees that as consumption..or ..probable wrong attached clamps ?

rolion wrote: »
    Can i ask you to quote a system that doesnt rely on batteries !?
    You are aware of owl having the setting inside the software already ...

Your spikes are there , i guess, because you have a diverter and the owl sees that as consumption..or ..probable wrong attached clamps ?

OpenEnergyMonitor uses AC transformers with its clamps. There's actually a lot of information on their website as to why they're necessary.

Any PV system I've seen that had a clamp option is connected by wire to the inverter.

I don't have an Owl, so I don't know anything about them. I do know a CT clamp can only measure current (amps), not voltage or power factor. All three are required to calculate power (watts).

I don't have an Owl, so I don't know anything about them. I do know a CT clamp can only measure current (amps), not voltage or power factor. All three are required to calculate power (watts).

I should add that my Efergy monitor assumes PF is 1.0 and I've set voltage to 230v. Grid voltage varies a lot, and it's currently at 236v. I emailed Efergy two weeks ago to see if they had any suggestion (e.g. replace CT clamp with optical sensor) but they never replied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I should add that my Efergy monitor assumes PF is 1.0 and I've set voltage to 230v. Grid voltage varies a lot, and it's currently at 236v. I emailed Efergy two weeks ago to see if they had any suggestion (e.g. replace CT clamp with optical sensor) but they never replied.

I have an Efergy currently still connected and find it very inaccurate, especially at low loads. If i kill the carbon and smoke detectors it tells me they were using 100 watts.

Recently bought a geo Minim because it has a sensor that counts the LED pulses on the meter and is much more accurate. It reads the detector load at 1/10th of what the Efergy was.

Mr Q wrote: »
    I have an Efergy currently still connected and find it very inaccurate, especially at low loads. If i kill the carbon and smoke detectors it tells me they were using 100 watts.

Recently bought a geo Minim because it has a sensor that counts the LED pulses on the meter and is much more accurate. It reads the detector load at 1/10th of what the Efergy was.

Where did you buy? I see them on Amazon right now for £40. Looks like a good price, especially since Efergy can't be bothered replying to my email!

Where did you buy? I see them on Amazon right now for £40. Looks like a good price, especially since Efergy can't be bothered replying to my email!

On Amazon. One thing i don't like about it is the monitor is not battery powered so cant move it around the house like some others.

Mr Q wrote: »
    On Amazon. One thing i don't like about it is the monitor is not battery powered so cant move it around the house like some others.

Is the power adapter ac/dc or ac/ac? Also, does it have logging? If so, I'll pull the trigger. Thanks for the info!

Is the power adapter ac/dc or ac/ac? Also, does it have logging? If so, I'll pull the trigger. Thanks for the info!

Its ac/dc, has a usb connection on the plug end. I have been meaning to try it on a power pack to make it portable.

No logging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The owl I have just has a receiver connected to my router.
    I then look at all the readings online.

The owl I have just has a receiver connected to my router.
    I then look at all the readings online.

The Efergy i have does the same and you can use their app for live use on your phone like with the owl version. I just find their ct clamp a little too inaccurate but that could be a voltage issue I have perhaps, never tested it.

Advertisement