Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms cert approval if superintendent absent?

• 19-05-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hypothetically speaking, if your local station was the one that a superintendent was suspended from recently and you had a license application pending, would that application just hang in limbo? I say hypothetically because I heard a rumour that it may be my local station where the suspension happened but am not sure if true.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Until someone else can sign off your application, most likely.

There was an instance a good few years back where Inspectors were signing off on renewals (not applications) and there was a hint of it not being legally correct as the Firearms Act only allows for the signing of licenses to be done by Chief Super or Super (its the Commissioner's job, but it can be delegated to Chief Super/Super however no one of a lower rank i believe).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Cass wrote: »

There was an instance a good few years back where Inspectors were signing off on renewals (not applications) and there was a hint of it not being legally correct as the Firearms Act only allows for the signing of licenses to be done by Chief Super or Super (its the Commissioner's job, but it can be delegated to Chief Super/Super however no one of a lower rank i believe).

This makes me sad beyond belief

Don't doubt it lad. With recent reports of lads waiting since last October/November for grants only coming in this week this won't help.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Don't doubt it lad. With recent reports of lads waiting since last October/November for grants only coming in this week this won't help.

That's for sure. Shame because this station processed my last one in 20 days.

Pay the Super's bail and ask him to sign the application. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

I was only thinking the same myself when I heard a super was under investigation. Hope it’s not my area as just dropped an application off myself. You might not want to mention the town but which county was it?

Kran wrote: »
    I was only thinking the same myself when I heard a super was under investigation. Hope it’s not my area as just dropped an application off myself. You might not want to mention the town but which county was it?

We may or may not be the all Ireland hurling champions and the town may or may not have the same name as the county

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

We may or may not be the all Ireland hurling champions and the town may or may not have the same name as the county
    Hope you get sorted, worst thing is you won’t even know for months if this is affecting you.

Kran wrote: »
    Hope you get sorted, worst thing is you won’t even know for months if this is affecting you.

Cheers mate. Yeah.. It sucks. The FO told me Thursday that the application was with the Super. That was also the day the s**t hit the fan. If it's all true, then I should probably expect to be waiting a lot longer than 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They'll get another Super to cover the district. One of my licences was signed off by a Super in a different district.

• Advertisement

They'll get another Super to cover the district. One of my licences was signed off by a Super in a different district.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The licence will be signed off by whoever is "acting" for the Super while he is suspended.
    Same as would happen if the Super was out on long term sick leave.

All my recent renewal( for the last 4 or 5 years) letters have been signed off by an Inspector, but I have no doubt that the Super has seen them first.

Battle Corp, Vizzy - you have filled this 29 and 3/4 year old with youthful optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

I had a renewal last month signed off by the local inspector. Gorey area, chief super Enniscorthy based

I'm not saying it cannot be done and i have had licenses signed off on by an Inspector a few years back when we had two Supers in my locale retire with no replacements.

However it did raise the "is it legal" question. Or more accurately are the licenses valid. It's like a Super signing off on a restricted license. He cannot legally do it, and any license issued by a Super for a restricted license would be moot as soon as it was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hypothetically speaking, if your local station was the one that a superintendent was suspended from recently and you had a license application pending, would that application just hang in limbo? I say hypothetically because I heard a rumour that it may be my local station where the suspension happened but am not sure if true.

It will fall to whoever is then designated "acting Superintendent" for the district by the cheif Comiss,to keep the day to day running of the station going.That will be usually someone at senior inspector rank.Happened in my dist when the super previous has to consider his position when I had a .22 pistol cert in.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Roxboro??? If it is,I wouldn't be a bit surprised...:rolleyes: Hypothetically of course.

That may or may not be my local station. Reaaaally hoping I get my license soon despite the rumored staffing issues.

Roxboro??? If it is,I wouldn't be a bit surprised...:rolleyes: Hypothetically of course.

Anyway, silly pretenses aside, the FO in Roxboro is excellent in fairness. No BS with her

Question for Limerick people:

Has anyone had a new license or renewal signed off by ROXBORO GS in the last 3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Question for Limerick people:

Has anyone had a new license or renewal signed off by ROXBORO GS in the last 3 weeks?

Same question but anyone in the Claremorris area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Had two renewal licences signed off by an Inspector, both renewal forms posted to me yesterday. Ive not seen it before.

jb88 wrote: »
    Had two renewal licences signed off by an Inspector, both renewal forms posted to me yesterday. Ive not seen it before.

Same for me yesterday. In Roxboro, there's an Inspector as acting super while the other lad is allegedly being investigated.

I was refused a moderator, however, despite having given a list of reasons for requiring it.

Same for me yesterday. In Roxboro, there's an Inspector as acting super while the other lad is allegedly being investigated.

I was refused a moderator, however, despite having given a list of reasons for requiring it.

Did you get the refusal in writing?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Did you get the refusal in writing?

No, the FO called me and said the rifle was approved but the moderator won't be granted.

It may be included on the grant letter when that arrives I guess?

No, the FO called me and said the rifle was approved but the moderator won't be granted.

You should request the refusal in writing. You are entitled to it as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

On the subject of refusals - where does it leave you on costs if RFD has firearm on hold for you/ordered in for you and you get a refusal for your application?

If it ends up in court and you win,your RFD is in for a full payment.As it is associated costs of your case..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You should request the refusal in writing. You are entitled to it as far as I am aware.

Very much so,as it is classified as a "firearm"in it's own right under legislation.So the refusal must be in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

If it ends up in court and you win,your RFD is in for a full payment.As it is associated costs of your case..

And if you don’t win?

Prompts another question please - what percentage of appeals would you say are successful?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Bagpipe

Would it be a good idea to call in and ask about the progress on an application? Or would that be classified as 'getting cheeky'?

Advertisement