Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batwoman - The CW *Spoilers*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sentiment in the trailer is overcooked; as I said in the superhero forum, Supergirl had already been doing very nicely in emphasising an angle of female perspectives and empowerment; this trailers tone comes off kinda antagonistic, compared with that sibling show. Ruby Roses "smell the fart" wooden posturing doesn't help either...

Kinda sick of Batman as some shorthand for indulgent brooding too; not like Batwoman needs to be either, but that's obviously the default. You'd have thought Will Arnetts take in the Lego movies would have softened the edgelording...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That looks a decent trailer, I liked her introduction in the CW DC Universe thing, looks nice an gritty, can see myself giving this a chance. the MCU might be kicking it in the cinematic world but the CW are doing a great job on the DC Universe, even if it does annoy me when I watch a crossover show out of sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thought she was dreadful when they introduced her, scenery chewing and all death stares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cringe, the dislike ratio though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The comments thread is usual YouTube garbage fire, but can't deny that one snarky comment made me laugh: the line about a "man taking credit for a woman's work" - apart from being toe curlingly awful - is a bit rich given the trailer shows Rose stealing Batman's costume, gadgets and identity :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks unspeakably bad. I couldn't even make it through the trailer. No way I'd make it through a whole episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have never seen a Batwoman live action series before. I will give this one a shot when I get around to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ruby Roses "smell the fart" wooden posturing doesn't help either...
    +1000 Her showing up in anything almost guarantees me fast forwarding through her parts. As the main act? Game over. She's an appallingly bad actress. I have no idea why she has been so heavily promoted TBH. There are so many other better actresses and actors that don't get this level of exposure. It's baffling.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm a fan of flash and arrow, I think this looks very good tbh.

Some stuff I don't like in the trailer but it looks promising imo, something that can grow when it finds its feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Maybe it's how the trailer was cut but the acting throughout seems awful and so awkward.

I'll reserve definitive judgement on Rose however - she was pretty decent in John Wick 2 but then again that was mainly a none speaking role.

Can't shake the feeling though that they'll regret their lazy casting. Stunt casting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000 Her showing up in anything almost guarantees me fast forwarding through her parts. As the main act? Game over. She's an appallingly bad actress. I have no idea why she has been so heavily promoted TBH. There are so many other better actresses and actors that don't get this level of exposure. It's baffling.

She a dreadful actor but ticks almost all the right boxes on the identity politics list, hence the huge amount of promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Maybe it's how the trailer was cut but the acting throughout seems awful and so awkward.

I'll reserve definitive judgement on Rose however - she was pretty decent in John Wick 2 but then again that was mainly a none speaking role.

Can't shake the feeling though that they'll regret their lazy casting. Stunt casting really.

She was rubbish in Orange is the New Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No way to confirm, but it seems pretty obvious she was cast due to being the only badass out actress that would fit the look. Although the one minority that should be complaining is gingers as this is yet another redehad role gone non redhead.

My experience with Batwoman is her stories are based more in the supernatural.

Going by the trailer, I wonder how much of an origin story it'll be since she was Batwoman in the crossover. Will the first season cover before and after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    No way to confirm, but it seems pretty obvious she was cast due to being the only badass out actress that would fit the look. Although the one minority that should be complaining is gingers as this is yet another redehad role gone non redhead.

My experience with Batwoman is her stories are based more in the supernatural.

Going by the trailer, I wonder how much of an origin story it'll be since she was Batwoman in the crossover. Will the first season cover before and after that?

It has been confirmed that this is set before her appearance in the Elseworlds crossover event. Also it has been announced that Batwoman will be in Crisis of Infinite Worlds. The Crossover will be split into two parts with 3 episodes in December and then 2 after the Winter Break. There is probably going to be some time jumps throughout the first half of the season to catch up to when the Crossover begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The comments thread is usual YouTube garbage fire, but can't deny that one snarky comment made me laugh: the line about a "man taking credit for a woman's work" - apart from being toe curlingly awful - is a bit rich given the trailer shows Rose stealing Batman's costume, gadgets and identity :D

It's Bat-MA'AM!!! Thank you verrrrrry much!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The dislikes on the trailer.....probably some reshoots happening fairly sharpish

Unearthly wrote: »
    The dislikes on the trailer.....probably some reshoots happening fairly sharpish

How much is critical thought of the show, and how much is incel crap?

How much is critical thought of the show, and how much is incel crap?
    Someone needs to engage in their own critical thought on their mindbogglingly simplistic view of the world. She's just a really, really crap actress.

Undoubtedly there are those who are knee-jerk incel types; it's just par for the course. But unfortunately given how fractured debate is in the US - especially given recent political decisions re. women's health - the mass dislikes will just embolden those with confirmation bias that if you don't like Batwoman, you must love Trump etc. I've already seen it on other, usually more sober sites.

And while all this goes on, Supergirl quietly continues its own story of coming together against division and prejudice, without causing half this kind of fuss. Their writers must be face-palming so hard at this needless antagonism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is Batwoman down for the Crisis event or can I just ignore this altogether. I used to care enough to want to watch every minute of CW DC stuff but then it just went way too socially inclusive even forceful with the agenda pushing.

I want entertainment not brain farts like a lot of this stuff has become. They are really pushing the label identity of characters now, **** off with that I just don't care. Get back to killing aliens and blowing stuff up not who likes who or pushing liberal agendas.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Someone needs to engage in their own critical thought on their mindbogglingly simplistic view of the world. She's just a really, really crap actress.

Never really watched her in anything, so I can't really comment. Didn't notice her in jw2 to be honest, didn't stand out to me fir good or bad. From that 3 mins I've little to say either. No different to any other cw character starting off, or even now.

I do dislike like the 'it will be when it fits a woman' line. That's bad writing and on the nose. 'when it fits me' makes actual sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Is Batwoman down for the Crisis event or can I just ignore this altogether. I used to care enough to want to watch every minute of CW DC stuff but then it just went way too socially inclusive even forceful with the agenda pushing.

I want entertainment not brain farts like a lot of this stuff has become. They are really pushing the label identity of characters now, **** off with that I just don't care. Get back to killing aliens and blowing stuff up not who likes who or pushing liberal agendas.

Yeah Batwoman is confirmed for crisis but you could probably watch crisis without watching Batwoman. Crossover events usually don't affect the other shows but with it being crisis, I could be wrong. I'd say give it an episode or two and if you don't like it drop it. There will probably be a YouTube video or something to catch people up on the shows involved in the crossover anyway

It can be both, story is not mutually exclusive to theme: not to bang a drum but Supergirl tells a very "liberal" perspective through the Children of Liberty storyline without impeding on requisite explosions and lasers. Not to mention being pretty open about Dreamer being transsexual and part of said theme. It is quite brazen and inclusive.

Batwoman isn't being liberal, it's being clickbait.

Batwoman isn't being liberal, it's being clickbait.

Based on 3 minutes.

Based on 3 minutes.

The trailer? Absolutely. If it isn't representative of the final product, cool, obviously. But there was a pretty definitive angle within it all the same that is hard to get behind.

Though as we've already had a taste of Batwoman via the crossover, it's fair game for judgement of the lead anyway, if not its tone.

Based on 3 minutes.

Sometimes you see enough to judge how poor something is likely to be. She also did a turn in Elseworlds, the Arroverse crossover, and that alone does not bode well for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I like it. Look forward to seeing it. Will be nice to have another series set in Gotham to watch when Gotham finishes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So we'll all watch one episode at least anyway, during the crossover... Ruby Rose is a poor actress and I don't see why she was picked. For anyone who says by the way she ticks a load of identity boxes, you might not realise that for some Twits that she didn't tick enough and they wanted someone else..

I really hope they don't end up preaching, despite this being a CW show. 'Supergirl' actually works well in spite of it all (not really because of it) but it's helped probably by having an excellent likeable lead - Benois just seems sincere. Rose .. I just hope she can deliver some of the clunky dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So Batman ran off did he?

Pfft. Those unreliable males.

Advertisement