Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What does my candidate work as?

• 18-05-2019 6:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭

Ahoy there.

As above, is there any website that logs what all running candidates do for a living? I know nothing of my ones, however my mate was saying that where he lives he knows for a fact that two of the radical left candidates essentially haven't done a days work in their lives and they're in their 40s/50s (his missus is local and knows them well). Hardly a stunning surprise, however I'd be interested in whether this is the case across the country.

I'd wager that it is, but I'd be interested to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I know one of mine is a barrister. Or he used to be anyway.

Its also useful to know if they have conflicting interests etc. I think they often do which is why they might keep it quiet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Occupation is listed on the ballot papers and also the online nominations list; however many sitting councillors just list "public representative" and not their actual more financially important employment / pension / welfare.

Very few councillors are full time - SF subsidise some to be; some are retired etc but the salary is not enough otherwise. If you just see "public representative" I'd always consider it a tiny bit suspicious. Locally its been only retirees using it so far.

For the Euros, Gary Gannon just has "public representative", but he's a publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The regional radio station where I live have all the candidates listed on their website and a blurb about who they are and what they do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

L1011 wrote: »

For the Euros, Gary Gannon just has "public representative", but he's a publican.

Is he? I know his brother had an unsuccessful foray into that line of business in Ballybough recently enough but it didnt last long. I didnt realise Gary was an active publican. Where does he own?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

The salary is only 17K a year, so unless they come from money, they need to be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

His brother took a lease on the Sunset House in Summerhill/Ballybough. It was closed for years after a murder

He was only 22 at the time. Would want to have a backbone & courage for a 22 year old to face down certain locals

I never heard of his brother Gary being involved. Maybe helping out but even then I wouldn't have called him a publican

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

One in Tipperary is the daughter of Mattie McGrath TD. More or less straight out of secondary school (she might have started college) and hasn't had a real job in her life. But they are spending thousands on her campaign. Posters, Vans, Cars, leaflets etc so she'll probably get elected.

Another middle aged guy in his 50s was some businessman and head of rotary in Clonmel. Called to my door last week. Full of **** of all the great stuff he will be able to do for the town using his business experience and contacts and it all seemed fantasy to me. But he had a huge team canvassing with him and and lots of resources/money so he'll bull**** enough people and probably take a seat as well.

So basically it doesn't seem to matter what you do for a living or what age you are. If you have enough money and a strong enough sense of entitlement you'll win a seat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mikemac2 wrote: »
    His brother took a lease on the Sunset House in Summerhill/Ballybough. It was closed for years after a murder

He was only 22 at the time. Would want to have a backbone & courage for a 22 year old to face down certain locals

I never heard of his brother Gary being involved. Maybe helping out but even then I wouldn't have called him a publican

Gary was the registered name on the licence for either it or their other pub at the time (Neds Townsend Street) - bit more than helping out. Massively downplayed involvement as I doubt it'd have sold well to his voters to be a publican.

And the Sunset was closed for months to a year, not "years".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

I know that for a fact your mate and his nosey missus don't know shít about them at all and are professional chin waggers.

What's radical left about the candidates? Why is it hardly a stunning surprise?

You seem to know an awful lot about two individuals I haven't even named.

They're PBP. I think that would be termed as radical left.

I think it's fair to say that voluntary, long term unemployment is heavily associated with the membership/ voter base of this movement and of related parties (Solidarity, SF to some extent). The Workers Movement is the great oxymoron of our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

And the Sunset was closed for months to a year, not "years".

I passed it this evening, closed again, repainted so presumably somebody is going to reopen it again. Better name than Brendan Behan you'd hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

In my area:
    Business owner providing medieval history tours, and combatant in historical reenactments of medieval battles.
    Retiree/Housewife/counselor.
    Retiree and former GAA player.
    None of the others have bothered introducing themselves, though it's not surprising given our location and the geographical size of the constituency.

I passed it this evening, closed again, repainted so presumably somebody is going to reopen it again. Better name than Brendan Behan you'd hope.

It was renamed back to the Sunset House before it closed. Its up for rent now for I think 1100 a week, which is rather a lot for such a small premises but it does seem to have been done up extensively this time rather than just paint and upholstery as before.

The name really grated with me - name a pub after someone who died from alcoholism. One stage beyond or before, depending on your viewpoint, of The Ginger Man being named after a violent alcoholic fictional character.

In my area:
    Business owner providing medieval history tours, and combatant in historical reenactments of medieval battles.
    Retiree/Housewife/counselor.
    Retiree and former GAA player.
    None of the others have bothered introducing themselves, though it's not surprising given our location and the geographical size of the constituency.

I am gonna be honest that does not sound promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Malcolm Byrne has a full cv on his website.

Gangu wrote: »
    Malcolm Byrne has a full cv on his website.

His looks better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I dunno. Relatively undistinguished, but distinguished careers can isolate people from the issues everyone else encounters. They all are representative of important groups in the community too - sports, small business owners and families. I'd pick a responsible person with the courage of their convictions over a high achiever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The local paper listed all candidates for Meath, along with their occupations. As was mentioned above, a few hide behind "Public Representative".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Only physicists and the like need apply? What job would you need to have in order to get your vote? Such ignorant posts here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

devlinio wrote: »
    The salary is only 17K a year, so unless they come from money, they need to be working.

You can add another good bit for expenses

• Advertisement

Bowlardo wrote: »

Which are just repaying money spent and not income.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Bowlardo wrote: »

Unvouched. Expenses could be double or treble the wage.

tvjunki wrote: »
    Unvouched. Expenses could be double or treble the wage.

Try less than half.

Most councils publish the full amount given. This is the full 2018 for Fingal; one councillor over 9k but the rest under 8k.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/media/Members%20Expenses%202018.pdf

DCC's are quarterly, this is Q4 '19

http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/YourCouncil/Councillors/Documents/Councillor%20Attendance%20%20%26%20Expenses%20December%202018.pdf

SPC allowances are payment for extra work

Here's KCCs, seems to about €200 a month unvouched allowed

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/CorporateServices/CorporateServices/MembersServices/PublicRegister/January%20%20December%202018%20Published.pdf

Someone who is mayor of the council, an MD, and on an SPC can get a decent enough amount of money - but you're only mayor for one year out of five if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ahoy there.

As above, is there any website that logs what all running candidates do for a living? I know nothing of my ones, however my mate was saying that where he lives he knows for a fact that two of the radical left candidates essentially haven't done a days work in their lives and they're in their 40s/50s (his missus is local and knows them well). Hardly a stunning surprise, however I'd be interested in whether this is the case across the country.

I'd wager that it is, but I'd be interested to know.
    https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2019/04/29/local-election-pages-on-different-county-city-council-websites/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

touts wrote: »
    One in Tipperary is the daughter of Mattie McGrath TD. More or less straight out of secondary school (she might have started college) and hasn't had a real job in her life. But they are spending thousands on her campaign. Posters, Vans, Cars, leaflets etc so she'll probably get elected.

Another middle aged guy in his 50s was some businessman and head of rotary in Clonmel. Called to my door last week. Full of **** of all the great stuff he will be able to do for the town using his business experience and contacts and it all seemed fantasy to me. But he had a huge team canvassing with him and and lots of resources/money so he'll bull**** enough people and probably take a seat as well.

So basically it doesn't seem to matter what you do for a living or what age you are. If you have enough money and a strong enough sense of entitlement you'll win a seat.

The bolded bit just seems like bitterness. How do you think sense of entitlement results in winning a seat? It might cause a person to decide whether or not to run but hardly means people vote for them more.

Advertisement