Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best sports pub in Waterford

Options
  • 18-05-2019 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all. Im living in Waterford nearly two yrs now and i have been to the main bars in Waterford city. Some good some not so good. Is there a decent pub outside the main city centre to watch a few matches maybe have a bit of carvery and chill out for the evening! Im not 100% familiar with all of the pubs but if anyone can recommend a decent one to watch the Gaa and soccer of an evening thats great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reg is a decent spot for that but food is more expensive than carvery. Revs/kazbar similar

Waterford deff lacks behind in spots pubs compared too other places. We have some pubs but they can be meh really depends on match tho

Uluru and cove bars out on the dunmore road are good for an alternative night out

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭aaaaaaaahhhhhh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Uluru and cove bars out on the dunmore road are good for an alternative night out

Cove deffo good for the pub quiz on Monday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cove deffo good for the pub quiz on Monday nights

Yeah very good nights but then if u want a late drink its back into town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah very good nights but then if u want a late drink its back into town

Uluru is a late bar on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

DeiseNew wrote: »
    Hi all. Im living in Waterford nearly two yrs now and i have been to the main bars in Waterford city. Some good some not so good. Is there a decent pub outside the main city centre to watch a few matches maybe have a bit of carvery and chill out for the evening! Im not 100% familiar with all of the pubs but if anyone can recommend a decent one to watch the Gaa and soccer of an evening thats great.

Although it’s not my favourite pub, the Uluru is your best bet. Big screen for the sport and carvery. They usually have music in the evenings too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Craftsman and The Sweep are also outside of the city and do nice food plus they always show the matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

The Craftsman and The Sweep are also outside of the city and do nice food plus they always show the matches.

Thank you for that. I will check out the Craftsman and The Sweep the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The 3 ships usually has a crowd in for a big rugby game. They do food in there too.

Woodman and Alfie hales would have a crowd for soccer and racing, no food in there but probably a crowd in, particularly the woodman if there is a big soccer match on.

Uluru and the cove always get crowds for matches too. Both do food as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Although it’s not my favourite pub, the Uluru is your best bet. Big screen for the sport and carvery. They usually have music in the evenings too.

Its my nearest and I dont love it or anything, but they have the big screen, and can show different matches in different parts of the pub. Which is actually what you want in a sports pub - they can show fair coverage to minority interest sports (e.g. athletics overlapping with premier league or something).

I havent seen anything else in Waterford that ticks those boxes though (but I have only been here since January and I dont get out a lot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

I tried the Sweep bar and although the staff were nice and they have a fantastic range of gin and whiskey i wasnt impressed by the food. It was very bland and took ages to be served. Maybe i got them on a bad day but i probably wont be back.
    The Craftsman i really enjoyed. The food was lovely, simple but well-made dishes with big portions. Then into the bar to watch some sport. Nice atmosphere there and although im a stranger with a thick Cork accent the locals were very friendly and i got chatting to one guy who was telling me the best pubs in the area!
    I can definitely see myself as a regular to the Craftsman bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement