Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic: Packaging in Supermarkets

• 17-05-2019 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭

SozBbz wrote: »

Actually on the issue of waste, does anyone know of a good way to get the message across to Aldi (and others) about excessive packaging and how they can be more sustainable? I feel a lot of consumers would be in favour of this but it would be good if there was some way in which consumers could have their voices heard.

I'd be willing to support retails who are making meaningful change in this area even if it cost me money.

Its on the way, Lidl are soon to introduce recycling bins so you can unpack it and leave the packaging behind. And whatever Lidl does Aldi is likely to follow (and vice versa too). From there that should kick Tesco/Dunnes/SV into gear to do the same.
    GERMAN RETAILER LIDL has announced that it will begin to offer customers in-store recycling stations in order to reduce packaging waste.

The supermarket chain said that segregated recycling stations will begin to be introduced at the end of customer checkouts in all of its 160 Irish stores from the beginning of next month. It said that it anticipated that rollout would result in tonnes of plastic, cardboard and other materials being recycled across their store network. Plastic packaging is a big contribution to Ireland’s waste, with consumers becoming increasingly conscious over single use plastics like straws and cutlery. Lidl discontinued sales of these and similar items last year.

The company said that it had trialed recycling stations in three Lidl stores in Gorey, Greystones and Ballycullen and that they had been a big success.

“We know from Repak research that Ireland is one of the leading recycling countries in the EU for packaging recycling, however Ireland’s EU target for recycling is to increase to 65% by 2025,” Lidl Ireland’s Managing Director JP Scally said in a statement. “We want to play our part in supporting the country to achieve this target through our recycling stations nationwide,” he added.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/recycling-lidl-4586519-Apr2019/

What I would really like in Aldi/Lidl is the ability to buy carrots and spuds loosely instead of by 1kg or 1.5kg bags which Im never going to get through and dont have space in the freezer for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Ben Done

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its on the way, Lidl are soon to introduce recycling bins so you can unpack it and leave the packaging behind. And whatever Lidl does Aldi is likely to follow (and vice versa too). From there that should kick Tesco/Dunnes/SV into gear to do the same.

What I would really like in Aldi/Lidl is the ability to buy carrots and spuds loosely instead of by 1kg or 1.5kg bags which Im never going to get through and dont have space in the freezer for.

I think this is worthy of discussion on the thread, unlike some, who seem to not want to consider their choices based on anything other than taste.

Like other posters, I'm making purchasing decisions more and more these days based on the environmental impact.
    Particularly, I'm not buying palm oil, and I put a few things back in Aldi today because of that.

I did email Aldi last year complaining about the amount of packaging that wasn't recyclable.
    Just got a stock reply 'we are committed to' blah..

I was also looking for a couple of tomatoes today, but couldn't get anything except plastic packed multi-packs, so didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I can unpack it and leave packaging behind using my own bins, but that doesn't do anything to the environment, does it?

Not sure how this is a step forward. Recycling bins were around for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ben Done wrote: »
    I did email Aldi last year complaining about the amount of packaging that wasn't recyclable.
    Just got a stock reply 'we are committed to' blah..

yeah well you're not the only one, with facebook campaigns I think thousands of people were emailing them about reducing waste. Theres nothing concrete confirmed for Aldi yet but as I said once Lidl make the move then they will too as they're direct competitors. Recycling stations are standard at Aldi and Lidl in Germany already so this isnt exactly a quantum leap for them. I've heard Tesco UK are also planning on introducing it too so the Irish arm will likely follow suit shortly thereafter.

wonski wrote: »
    I can unpack it and leave packaging behind using my own bins, but that doesn't do anything to the environment, does it?

Not sure how this is a step forward. Recycling bins were around for a while now.

AFAIK the change is two fold- they are introducing packaging that is actually recyclable, a lot of it currently isnt especially the black plastic trays that meat and fruit products can be packaged in. The other change is to allow you to recycle the packaging inside the store if you'd prefer not bring it home. Its not going to save the world but it is progress and to be welcomed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

AFAIK the change is two fold- they are introducing packaging that is actually recyclable, a lot of it currently isnt especially the black plastic trays that meat and fruit products can be packaged in. The other change is to allow you to recycle the packaging inside the store if you'd prefer not bring it home. Its not going to save the world but it is progress and to be welcomed imo.

Definitely. My point was that they should limit the amount of plastic on sale rather than allowing us to get rid of it when shopping. It ends up in the same place.

I have noticed trays change in Aldi (paper instead of plastic and not many black plastic. Even meat is now often sold in transparent plastic trays instead of the black ones.

Plastic film is still an issue everywhere and, just because they take care of it by letting me bin it in store, doesn't mean it is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My local SuperValu has had a recycle station by the tills for a long time. I'm not sure of the value tbh. We recycle anyway & the hassle of unpacking by busy tills is a pita, never mind that packaging may be needed to get your goods home in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Aldi near Ballymun have had a packaging dump for years. Aldi in East Wall introduced one a few weeks ago. It’s always cardboard packaging but today I saw some raw chicken trays.

But for all the positive recycling I see people everyday buying so many plastic bottles of water it’s very worrying. Why can’t they buy a reusable water container and fill with tap water?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Muahahaha wrote:

My Lidl has had these since last year. Must have been part of a pilot programme.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My Lidl has had these since last year. Must have been part of a pilot programme.

Article says
    The company said that it had trialed recycling stations in three Lidl stores in Gorey, Greystones and Ballycullen and that they had been a big success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I have seen it at a SV branch too. Whilst leaving your packaging behind doesn't help the environment - if the store sees the mountain of waste it may encourage them to reduce packaging on their products so could hopefully have a knock on effect.

I understand that the technology/innovation may not be there for some products yet to reduce or change the packaging but there have definitely been some products I have bought that have been in layers of packaging which are absolutely unnecessary. I have even notice it with some artisan products as well - for example I got some coffee recently that was in a standard coffee bag (non recyclable :() and then that itself was packaged in a cardboard box. Absolutely no need for the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aldi near Ballymun have had a packaging dump for years. Aldi in East Wall introduced one a few weeks ago. It’s always cardboard packaging but today I saw some raw chicken trays.

But for all the positive recycling I see people everyday buying so many plastic bottles of water it’s very worrying. Why can’t they buy a reusable water container and fill with tap water?

agree totally and i have done this for years. Or even if you cannot drin k tapwater, buy a large flagon and decant it.

I understand that the technology/innovation may not be there for some products yet to reduce or change the packaging but there have definitely been some products I have bought that have been in layers of packaging which are absolutely unnecessary.

I bought a bag of brioche rolls with chocolate chips in Aldi the other day. There was 8 rolls in the bag and each one was individually wrapped :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I used to be one of those people who bought water in plastic bottles. Originally I did it for both still and sparkling, then just for sparkling and now I don't buy any.

Looking back I'm a bit ashamed of myself for being such a gob****e but I've definitely learned the error of my ways. It was so cheap though and so convenient to just reach into the fridge and have chilled water in a convenient bottle. I might still buy the odd bottle whilst out and about (certainly not every day) but I don't buy any for home use anymore. I bought myself a sodastream and make my own sparkling water from tap water. I did recycle the bottles in the green bin (this used to be my justification) but theres also the soft plastic wrapping that the 6 pack bottles come in which isnt recyclable. Its just a massivly wasteful practice thats probably too cheap and whilst it remains cheap to buy water this way, a lot of people still probably won't stop.

I've also massivly cut down on take away coffees. I've not quite gotten the hang of remembering to bring a keepcup wtih me, so i either have it in the store in a real cup or just don't have it!

I had a 2-litre-a-day sparkling water habit too that I weaned myself off of for plastic guilt reasons too. I did consider a soda stream but decided that it was less hassle and better for the environment in the long run if I just got used to drinking tap water. I don't know what it is about "plain" tap water but I just find it so difficult to drink. Cucumber in an infuser bottle was what did the trick for me. I do wish the supermarkets would stop putting plastic condoms on their cucumbers, though.

We're very lucky in that we have excellent coffee in work so I have a keepy cup that I just throw in the dishwasher here every day, saves me having to remember to bring it from home to a coffee shop each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I'm all for this. Think it's a great idea and something other supermarkets should look into. I try to recycle as much as possible and try to reduce my packaging choices as much as possible. Some packaging is shocking.

But the one that winds me up the most is these Nespresso/Tassimo and their clones. They really should ban them. My niece who shares the house with me uses about 3 or 4 of these a day. Straight into the bin. Oh, you can recycle the legit actual Nespresso ones...... by arranging them to collect them from your house or sendig them to them but for God's sake. In this day and age I don't know how they are getting away with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

https://bullislandactiongroup.ie/2019/04/14/supervalue-raheny-plastic-deposit/

Supervalue in Raheny have started plastic deposit apparently.

But the one that winds me up the most is these Nespresso/Tassimo and their clones. They really should ban them. My niece who shares the house with me uses about 3 or 4 of these a day. Straight into the bin. Oh, you can recycle the legit actual Nespresso ones...... by arranging them to collect them from your house or sendig them to them but for God's sake. In this day and age I don't know how they are getting away with them.

They can go in domestic recycling too, you just have to empty and rinse them. I make my sister do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could someone explain what Repak do and their role in this? Their mission is...
    Repak charges fees to its members in accordance with the amount and type of packaging they place on the Irish market. These fees are used to subsidise the collection and recovery of waste packaging through registered recovery operators across Ireland – so that the individual member companies are exempt from this requirement.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have seen it at a SV branch too. Whilst leaving your packaging behind doesn't help the environment - if the store sees the mountain of waste it may encourage them to reduce packaging on their products so could hopefully have a knock on effect.
    They'll have a bin for light plastic and wrapping which isn't recycled currently by any of the domestic waste companies, so this can prevent loads of stuff from going to landfill. Most of the volume of my waste bin is this type of packaging.

I had a 2-litre-a-day sparkling water habit too that I weaned myself off of for plastic guilt reasons too. I did consider a soda stream but decided that it was less hassle and better for the environment in the long run if I just got used to drinking tap water. I don't know what it is about "plain" tap water but I just find it so difficult to drink. Cucumber in an infuser bottle was what did the trick for me. I do wish the supermarkets would stop putting plastic condoms on their cucumbers, though.

I find the sodastream great I have to say. It really hits the spot and you can make the water as fizzy as you like by how many times you press the button.

Also, I do the buy and return for the gas canisters via Argos. You can buy the canisters for €27, but if you have one to return then its €17. I've the one i got with the sodastream itself and bought one additional, and now just swap them out when the time comes. I find I get 2-3 months from a canister and just swap it in argos when I'm done, like getting gas for your barbecue or heater!

I only got on to sparkling water as a means to kick my diet coke habit. Plain tap water can be hard to drink and I don't get the same volume into me if theres nothing to jazz it up. I also find having ice helps, so i bought a few fancy ice trays that make those large square ice cubes like cocktail bars use. I'm off the bottled water since Christmas so I hope its become a firm habit now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

TheChizler wrote: »
    They'll have a bin for light plastic and wrapping which isn't recycled currently by any of the domestic waste companies, so this can prevent loads of stuff from going to landfill. Most of the volume of my waste bin is this type of packaging.
    What are they going to do with it? Straight to landfill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I do wish the supermarkets would stop putting plastic condoms on their cucumbers, though.

They dealt with this topic on Food Unwrapped (I think) recently. One of the UK supermarkets was interviewed about cutting down their plastic packaging, but said they were keeping the plastic wrapping on a cucumber as it keeps it more crisp for longer. The supermarket argued that it was a decision between reducing food waste, by keeping the cucumber fresher for longer, or reducing plastic packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Hal3000 wrote: »
    https://bullislandactiongroup.ie/2019/04/14/supervalue-raheny-plastic-deposit/

Supervalue in Raheny have started plastic deposit apparently.

That's good. I don't know if all SuperValu's are as bad, but this shop seems particularly bad for packaging - they have small pieces of ginger in a cellophane tray, wrapped in clingfilm :confused:

Ginger: the least bruise-able, spoil-able foodstuff known to man. And one that you are going to cut away all of the outside parts anyway when you are using it.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    That's good. I don't know if all SuperValu's are as bad, but this shop seems particularly bad for packaging - they have small pieces of ginger in a cellophane tray, wrapped in clingfilm :confused:

Ginger: the least bruise-able, spoil-able foodstuff known to man. And one that you are going to cut away all of the outside parts anyway when you are using it.

Yeah I think the supermarkets use that arguement to put plastic around things, but the real reason is they want you to buy a certain amount, and not just be able to buy a small amount by weight.

There is some truth to it obviously but I think its exagerated to mask the true agenda, which is maximizing their turnover.

Advertisement