Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midsommar (new movie from director of Hereditary)

• 06-03-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I loved Hereditary, especially the ending with Paimon. This new movie seems to be leaning heavily into folklore and pagan festivities.
    Jack Raynor stars in it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Any Murders?

I'll see myself out.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭buried

Should be Good. Great use of colour and light in that trailer too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Looks good. Is this being classified as a horror?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

I'm in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New trailer:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Whatever stringed instrument they were playing throughout that trailer had me spooked anyway.

Reminds me a bit of Apostle from last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Swedish Wicker Man, by the looks of things. Not a bad thing.

Always strange to see an actor you have only otherwise seen in one role (Chidi from The Good Place) appear in other, unrelated material :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

I am interested to see Chidi is something new too.

Very interested in a horror movie that looks to be primarily in broad daylight.

Hereditary was great, stoked for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I caught this last night.

I loved the setting and how unsettling the entire society is. The fact the entire film was set during daylight was a bit unsettling.

I enjoyed it but as I was tired I felt it ran a bit long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Saw this last night. I don't know what it, but it's not a horror. Hereditary is a far more conventional film in that regard. But I preferred this. Expect a few walkouts. There were two in my screening. There's some very challenging imagery. It also captures the feeling of an acid/mushroom trip better than any film I've ever seen. I'm going back tonight for another viewing. It's definitely one for the big screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Leave your inhibitions at the door - this film needs you to attune to its eccentric wavelength, and there are many nasty, vivid pleasures to be found if you do.

I'm not going to say this film isn't about anything, because it is: it's about a woman experiencing extreme grief while also being stuck in the tail-end of an immensely toxic relationship. It's about that in quite a satisfying way, so bring a date along for sure! But this is a tone piece first and foremost, and a helluva one. There's nothing necessarily unpredictable about the horrors that unfold under the perpetual Swedish sunlight - it's all about how it unfolds. As much a comedy as a horror, it nevertheless hits a primal level of creepy at key moments that's rather unlike anything else I've seen in semi-mainstream horror recently. The way it matches
    truly grotesque corpse mutilation with scenes of hysterical joy
    was fascinating - it really nails this casual, disturbing strangeness, perhaps emulating the characters' states-of-mind as they consume various psychoactive substances and witness with disbelief these outrageous rituals.

It was true of Hereditary, and it's true of Midsommar: Ari Aster is a breath of fresh air for American genre fare, even if this less snugly fits into any particular generic mode. It's not just him, of course: this sings thanks to Pawel Pogorzelski's ever-inventive cinematography, the Haxan Cloak's forceful score and Lucian Johnston's editing. Not forgetting Henrik Svensson's production design or Andrea Flesch's costume work! It's just a bit of a stylistic powerhouse all-in-all. The choice to predominantly shoot in sunlight with plenty of bright colours is a great one, but I was on-board from the extended prologue.

What an opening 20 minutes. The decision to often shoot characters in rigid frames (Reynor's character is also seen through a distance through mirrors on a couple of occasions - a clever bit of visual mood-setting) contrasts nicely with the more freeform backdrop of the rest of the film. But also love how horrifying the inciting incident is - really lands the utter devastation of that moment, like a drill to the skull. The finale, meanwhile, is a much more confident
    explosion of cultish pageantry than Hereditary's conclusion- that scene of the 'boyfriend bear' silhouette in the flaming temple is wonderful, and the final moment of mad catharsis for Dani is a perfect end-note

There are loads of great moments throughout, but one tiny thing that has had a strangely lasting impact is one of the feast scenes where the filmmakers make a simple tweak: they change the hue of a character's drink. It's a beautiful little touch - the simplest possible adjustment to unbalance the scene and have this sinister detail hanging in the air. With so many overtly odd details littered throughout, tiny extra flourishes are what push it beyond.

This was obvious from Lady Macbeth, but Florence Pugh ****ing rules - it's not always the most complex character, but she owns it as she always does. Reynor gives it his all, and fittingly
    we very much see it all

But yeah above all else this is one to simply sink into and let it do its thing. I don't think the pacing is maintained over the whole 140 minutes - some of the segments leading up to the wild finale are the most sluggish, and it lacks the thematic trickiness of Hereditary. Generally though it's a trip - vicious when it needs to be, uproarious throughout. Indulgent and over-the-top? Of course, and it wears its influences on its sleeve. But it embraces it all so very wholeheartedly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any Wicker men in it? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know many reviews have said this isn't a pure horror, and I haven't seen the film yet either, but I immediately applaud it being set in daylight. Not enough "horror" cinema sets itself in open sunlight, too stuck in the tropes of dark and shadow to extract cheap scares. A good unnerving tale should work in any lighting, and not enough films use daylight as a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Seen this last night, we both didn’t think much of it at all. Wouldn’t call it a horror in any sense of the word - I found Hereditary much more deep and frightening, this is more strange then anything.

6/10 at best from us, had expected much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,329 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jack Reynor baring all seems to be most of the headlines :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll see it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Such a strange movie. I really liked it. I think.
    I'll need to digest it a bit first.

Stunning cinematography.

The best part was watching the bewildered faces afterwards as everyone was leaving. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

What an amazing piece of work this film is. I've never seen anything quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

I loved this movie. I went to see it last Friday. Will definately watch it again. My only gripe (nothing to with the movie) was that I went to see it in the Lighthouse Cinema in Smithfield. First time going there and I dont think I will go again. The amount of people (from about 20 minutes into the movie) who got up to go to the loo or the bar was crazy. There was a constant stream of people walking in front of the screen for about an hour. Very annoying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught this last night and it was tremendous, one of the beat horror films I've seen in years in part because it doesn't insist on restricting itself to only horror as a tone. The opening 20 minutes or so are absolutely brutal in establishing Dani and Christian's characters. Reynor was queasily great in this, the script making great use of how effortlessly he projects an aura of five-star arsehole, but Florence Pugh was absolutely stellar. William Jackson Harper and Will Poulter also put in strong turns as believably unlikeable characters. The whole production is great - music, visuals, design, script, it all meshes seamlessly.

It's that rarity for me of being a film sufficiently good I might well see it again at the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Absolutely terrible film. I'm gutted. So disappointing. Weird with no twists. Only good thing was the cinematography

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

Yeah, people saying it’s absolutely brilliant, did we see a different film??

I thought it was ok-to-good until about halfway through, when it just went bat**** insane, and especially for the last quarter, my friend and I got a fit of the giggles, it was so off-the-charts ridiculous. We were by no means the only ones in the cinema who couldn’t stop laughing. This cannot have been the effect the director intended. For us to think it’s absurd, maybe- surely he didn’t want us unable to stop laughing. Maybe he did??

I’ll say this for it though- it’s definitely the film I’ve seen that provoked the widest spectrum of emotion in me. Before we started laughing, I was deeply disturbed by the cliff/ritual scene :(

It reminded me of "Mandy" with Nicolas Cage, which was a crazy, psychedelic film. Or the work of Jonas Akerlund..sh!t films with vibrant colours

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Am I the only one who thought Hereditary was a bad movie? There was no horror in it, I literally spent the majority of the movie laughing at the supposed horror parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought Hereditary was a bad movie? There was no horror in it, I literally spent the majority of the movie laughing at the supposed horror parts

I thought it was good but, as with Midsommar, and even The Witch from a years back, it was wrongly marketed as a straight-up horror movie. There seems to a little mini-movement of US indies that are tipping their hat to the genre but which are very much doing their own thing. Viewed in that light I think Hereditary holds up.

No horror in it?
    Seances, apparitions, headless corpses, real demonic symbols, pages being written with nobody holding the pen, decapitation
    . I don't know what film you were looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I thought Hereditary was rubbish mainly due to the end. I enjoyed the first half and found it quite freaky but the end was absolute trash.

I was supposed to see this this evening and my friend, who I saw Hereditary with, said Midsommar was similarly crap....

I'll probably still go this week though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Interesting to begin with but just ultimately turned to trash.

Rake of walk outs at the screening I was at. Wish I'd done the same but I stuck it out as I thought the end might be interesting, it isn't.

But, you know yourselves, crap like this will always have its supporters.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I know it's not necessarily fun to revisit an experience that you didn't enjoy to begin with, but would any of you who really disliked it mind going into more detail about why it didn't work for you?

I get why Hereditary is a divisive film, but to me Midsommar didn't have the same faults. It would be interesting (and hopefully conversation-sparking) to know more about what people aren't enjoying? Were you expecting anything in particular that it did, or didn't, deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Well, as I say, the film starts off well to begin with, we are introduced to some interesting characters and also the beginnings of a decent story (with regards to Pugh's struggles with her sister and her boyfriend inviting her to go away with him, and his friends. despite him not really wanting to be around her anymore) but that's where the film being an interesting one ends...... and I'd usually say 'for me' after that but it's so bloody dull from that point on that I struggle to understand why anyone would be entertained by what was to follow.

As far as I'm concerned films like this are engaging in tricks to make them appear to be far more interesting and artistic than they actually are. Lots of style sprinkled with a plethora of ludicrousness and all presented as shocking, of course, but which most audiences end up laughing at. Wasn't in the least suspenseful, let alone gripping. Utter tripe and it saddens me that people are interested and entertained by films of this calibre as it will most likely mean more will be made.

I find such films as tiresome as I do high budget mind numbing popcorn flicks like the latest Godzilla crap, but sadly both seem to be more and more common.

Advertisement