Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairy rings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Odelay wrote: »
    How are they now?

alright, thankfully !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

DJ98 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on these, have a fairly overgrown piece of land thst has neve been touched or grazed due to it being occupied by fairies, I would like to clean up this area and use it for grazing but am told that it would be very unlucky to do so, any thoughts?

Didn’t some farmer level a fairy fort a few years ago and got a fine of 25k in court?

I know a family who interfered with one and got unexplained ultra incredible bad luck, no way to explain it in normal stats where members of their family died in crazy circumstances. Normally I think away with the fairies but I'd not touch one now.

I know a few cases locally as well, one in particular was fairly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I know a few cases locally as well, one in particular was fairly bad.

I know of someone who never touched a fairy ring in their life. Got cancer. Fairly bad alright.

A fella told me the fairies turned him into a frog!!! :eek:

Did they turn him back again seeing it wasn’t a frog told you?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Unbelievable.
    In the 21st century too!

Today we have the climate change fairytale that many people lap up.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Today we have the climate change fairytale that many people lap up.

total hoax

but fairies are real

lawred2 wrote: »
    total hoax

but fairies are real

You believe in fairies? It’s folklore. As for the other one, will somebody please think of the children.

jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

lawred2 wrote: »
    jesus wept

Aye, but he didn't level a fairy fort either...

• Advertisement

Aye, but he didn't level a fairy fort either...

if he made it as far as Oireland then he might have on grounds of false gods

well he'd have to have existed first but you know what I mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

The uncle went to knock one years ago , got desperate sick , never touched it again . Still believes it was the going at it caused it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The uncle went to knock one years ago , got desperate sick , never touched it again . Still believes it was the going at it caused it ,

Person A thinks X item is superstitiously dangerous and should stay away from it.

Person A goes ahead and interferes with said item, even thought they know they shouldn't.

Every bad thing which subsequently happens to Person A confirms their original notion as being correct.

You can literally do this with anything, as nobody goes through life unscathed, something bad will eventually happen.

It's a good example of confirmation bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Figerty

o1s1n wrote: »
    Person A thinks X item is superstitiously dangerous and should stay away from it.

Person A goes ahead and interferes with said item, even thought they know they shouldn't.

Every bad thing which subsequently happens to Person A confirms their original notion as being correct.

You can literally do this with anything, as nobody goes through life unscathed, something bad will eventually happen.

It's a good point, I think most people will respect the past (if not the law) and not interfere with the Ring Forts, weather it's superstition or anything else. For most people you have to know there could be people buried there, or who know what else shouldn't be disturbed. A few years ago in the UK graves were being reopened in old church and I recall it being said they found traces of old disease that could be reactivated. I can't recall if it was small pox or something similar.

Leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I remember a programme on RTE a few years back, where they took DNA from remains in a burial site, thousands of years old in the Burren. They compared it to DNA of local children and found a few were matched as relatives. Local burial sites may have your family in them.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

o1s1n wrote: »

I work 1 or 2 Sundays most months, I've been told by my soon to be father in law and brother in law that I wont have a minutes luck, told the same by a close friend, 2 of them are very religious, I'd say they're only waiting for me to have an accident so they can spout about how I work Sundays and it was bound to happen, you can see logic in most nonsense if you try hard enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

We have a well known monument in our land and my logic is idhould be able to get through my 70 odd years on this planet and make a living without interfering with 5000 years of history

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

I work 1 or 2 Sundays most months, I've been told by my soon to be father in law and brother in law that I wont have a minutes luck, told the same by a close friend, 2 of them are very religious, I'd say they're only waiting for me to have an accident so they can spout about how I work Sundays and it was bound to happen, you can see logic in most nonsense if you try hard enough

The aul lad used to be at us about working on a Sunday. That’s why our cattle would never settle and keep breaking out. Anyway over time we didn’t need to work Sunday for other people and the cattle quit rambling. He always reminds us of that. Funny thing he never mentions the purchase of 2 mains fencers posts and wire!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

390kid wrote: »
    The aul lad used to be at us about working on a Sunday. That’s why our cattle would never settle and keep breaking out. Anyway over time we didn’t need to work Sunday for other people and the cattle quit rambling. He always reminds us of that. Funny thing he never mentions the purchase of 2 mains fencers posts and wire!

In more religious times - no farm work would have been done on a Sunday. And in some households the family would walk to the church rather than using and harnessing the horse and cart. My grandmother would had a canary if washing was put out on a Sunday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

gozunda wrote: »
    In more religious times - no farm work would have been done on a Sunday. And in some households the family would walk to the church rather than using and harnessing the horse and cart. My grandmother would had a canary if washing was put out on a Sunday ;)

We used to have a chicken.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

gozunda wrote: »

Under a William III & Mary Act it was an offence to work or play on the Sabbath, fines were imposed at the Local Petty Sessions.

“1864 25th January (CJ).
    --- Sub-Constables Elliott and Neylon against seven little boys for kicking an Indian rubber football in a field after 3 o’clock p.m. on Sunday the 10th inst., in violation of the Act for the better observance of the Sabbath. – They were let off on paying one-shilling costs each. –

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/kilrush_notes_1760_1960/court_sessions1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,840 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

25k doesn't seem like a big enough fine.

He might have increased the value of the land he bought by that much or more having destroyed it (if having the monument there had placed restrictions on it that would have devalued it prior!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,840 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I remember a programme on RTE a few years back, where they took DNA from remains in a burial site, thousands of years old in the Burren. They compared it to DNA of local children and found a few were matched as relatives. Local burial sites may have your family in them.

Well they do tend to keep the genes within the family by marrying cousins down there :p

(Although being serious, if you go back that far, there's a good chance that any kid anywhere in Ireland will have some of those genes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭endainoz

The two sites in our place are marked out on the map. One is a ring fort that's not touched and down as an archeological site for GLAS and the other is a mound that was used to hang people! We used to have our bonfire for St. John's night on it as its a prominent area that can be seen from a good distance. It was then declared an SAC and an taisce made us stop putting the fire there in the late 90s. As a kid at the time I was a bit pissed off about it, but over time I can see why they stopped us doing it. There have been a couple of digs there but no bones or anything we're found. There is also an unproven theory the some of the Spanish Armada we're captured and hanged there, supposedly there is a mass grave somewhere but it's yet to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭alps

Really think our respect in Ireland for a Sunday is appalling...

Quiet apart from any religious ideals, people deserve a day off...famailies could do with family time......a day out now with the family is going to the shopping mall...well with whatever parent isnt working...sick..

How can we not buy what we need in 6 days...

Government do business on a Sunday....Why?

Tricky Dickey signed in the Nitrates Directive on a Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

alps wrote: »

Quiet apart from any religious ideals, people deserve a day off...famailies could do with family time......a day out now with the family is going to the shopping mall...well with whatever parent isnt working...sick..

I 100% agree with you re people deserve a day off - but why should it be Sunday?

If you aren't religious, than whats the difference between a Saturday and a Sunday?

Kids here have things on Saturdays, as would the case with a lot of people I'd imagine - sports, etc. I try to take them, so thats Saturday morning, and then depending on weather, we might try to do something as family Saturday afternoon (not shopping!) :)

so I would sometimes do some farming Sunday morning to catch up. I dont see anything wrong with it...

But, it seems in your eyes its terrible...

well with whatever parent isnt working...sick..
    I assume you aren't a dairy farmer, and so aren't milking cows yourself on a Sunday? :P

Why not Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

endainoz wrote: »
    The two sites in our place are marked out on the map. One is a ring fort that's not touched and down as an archeological site for GLAS and the other is a mound that was used to hang people! We used to have our bonfire for St. John's night on it as its a prominent area that can be seen from a good distance. It was then declared an SAC and an taisce made us stop putting the fire there in the late 90s. As a kid at the time I was a bit pissed off about it, but over time I can see why they stopped us doing it. There have been a couple of digs there but no bones or anything we're found. There is also an unproven theory the some of the Spanish Armada we're captured and hanged there, supposedly there is a mass grave somewhere but it's yet to be found.

what did an taisce do? they have no power in their own right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭endainoz

ganmo wrote:
    what did an taisce do? they have no power in their own right

Well I was young at the time it may not have been an taisce but it was the fact the the hill was a designated SAC so no bonfires could go on it anymore. I agree with their ideals and beliefs, not so much lately with what they are trying to teach in schools but that's a topic for another day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

endainoz wrote: »
    The two sites in our place are marked out on the map. One is a ring fort that's not touched and down as an archeological site for GLAS and the other is a mound that was used to hang people! We used to have our bonfire for St. John's night on it as its a prominent area that can be seen from a good distance.

Seems like a good traditional use for such a spot. Hardly doing much extra damage if used that way going back.

Advertisement