Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway city/county walks

• 12-05-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys,

Myself and my partner have just moved to Galway, Roscam area to be exact and both love walking. Could anyone recommend walking trails in and around the city or county? There are plenty back home in Waterford so no doubt here will be the same.

Sorry if posted to wrong thread, total newbie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.walkingroutes.ie/WalkingTrails allows you to search and also select looped walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

These lads can:
    https://galwaywalkingclub.wordpress.com/

Most of the walks are outside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think it's called the windy way but out by the wind farm in oughterard is good.

Along the corrib up though the corrib village from the city.

The prom.

Renville woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Monivea Woods, handy enough for you to drive to from Roscam.

https://www.coillte.ie/site/monivea/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Portumna forest Park, Monivea mentioned. I also recommend you rent a bike in Derroura beyond Oughterard, great trail.
    Diamond Hill out in Connemara national park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We regularly go to www.coolepark.ie on weekends with nice weather
    It's more for families than sport walkers but a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Knockma Hill near Belclare is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Hill of doon / Lackavrea Forest near oughterard....it's the far side of derroura. Beautiful place

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DavidK1993

Thanks a lot everybody. I’m gonna try all suggested routes once settled. Hope I find some gems up here :)

Consider the Burren too over the border in Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 keithonroll

Burren

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Merlin woods are on your doorstep not really challenging but a grand set of lungs in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Park in Cappagh Park, walk through the park to Barna woods then cross road to rusheen park and along road to silver strand beach. Nicest beach close to the city. Lovely walk with possible swim included.

Advertisement