Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you all happy with your solar panels for generating electricity

• 10-05-2019 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Just thought i'd put this out there as i saw one earlier for solar thermal. :D

Would be interesting to hear people's reason for disliking/liking .

Are you happy with your purchase of Solar Panels for genrating electricity? 10 votes

Yes
    100% 10 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes

Comments

What's not to like?
    How much they cost? That's not the solar panel's problem.

Are we all happy incinerating rubbish, coal, gas and boglands for utility power?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

What's not to like?
    How much they cost? That's not the solar panel's problem.

Are we all happy incinerating rubbish, coal, gas and boglands for utility power?

Be interested to know if people had any problems or issues with their Solar PV. So far , I'm only hearing all good things which is good.
    So far for me they've been excellent.

Can you imagine if they were on every roof. Our dependence on imported oil and gas would be greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,862 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

niallers1 wrote: »

Can you imagine if they were on every roof. Our dependence on imported oil and gas would be greatly reduced.

Our electric network can't handle that and when they tried to improve the network it got shot down.

Our network handles peak load. Less coal more solar what's the problem?
    ESB are protecting their monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Our network handles peak load. Less coal more solar what's the problem?
    ESB are protecting their monopoly.

Our ‘network’ does not handle peak load. It handles it in conjunction with the generation capacity.

If you have a generation plant sitting idle it still has to be paid for whether the sun shines or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'd love to hear some on-topic responses.

This thread got derailed by post 3.

What do people, who have solar PV installed really think of their setups?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Pkiernan wrote: »

Just a general comment. People with solar thermal occasionally comment about difficulties which require servicing of their systems. (This is not surprising because these systems have fluids and moving parts so some regular servicing is inevitably required.)Not that these are tremendously common or bad but they do come up.

People with thermal who have a large demand for hot water (because of the number of people in the house) occasionally say how happy they are with the systems.

People with PV don’t really have servicing issues over time as far as I can see (nor would you expect them to, since the systems have few or no moving parts and no fluids). Once they are up they kind of forget about them. They do voice frustration now and again about giving electricity away to the grid for free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pkiernan wrote: »

Sorry I couldn’t go bigger than 3kw.
    Sorry I haven’t got a battery storage yet.

Happy that it makes a small dent in climate change.
    Happy that I’m attempting to do the right thing.

Money or return on investment did not factor into my choice to get PV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I voted NO !

WHY !??? Becasue i will like to send ESB a request to find out how much of the supplied electricity is being paid for AND accounted versus the generated electricity from the home users PV panels installed on the roofs,free injected in the grid and invoiced /paid by my road users !

Today,i generated more than 25Kwh and half went to my neighbours or Mr Grid,free of charge.
    I haven't got any grants so ... why should i be happy for having my own FIT bonuses generator !?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just a general comment. People with solar thermal occasionally comment about difficulties which require servicing of their systems. (This is not surprising because these systems have fluids and moving parts so some regular servicing is inevitably required.)Not that these are tremendously common or bad but they do come up.

People with thermal who have a large demand for hot water (because of the number of people in the house) occasionally say how happy they are with the systems.

People with PV don’t really have servicing issues over time as far as I can see (nor would you expect them to, since the systems have few or no moving parts and no fluids). Once they are up they kind of forget about them. They do voice frustration now and again about giving electricity away to the grid for free.

that's us... hot water without heating for about 9 months of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I am importing on average 2-3kwh per day over the last 1-2 months, and a lot of that is night rate. So, im running pretty much on free electricity for these periods, and hopefully for the next 4 months will see that keep up. I have a diverter as well, so with that I am getting an immersion tank of hot water as well.

Weekends tend to be a bit higher on import figures, if we use the oven for a roast etc, it does soak up the juice and the battery, but if we are a bit smarter about it we should ease that back a bit, cook earlier in the day, more BBQ's :) etc etc.

Advertisement