Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a man living in his van

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 93 Verified rep I'm living in my van, AMA

endacl wrote: »
    Sounds like you’ve a head start in case of zombie apocalypse. Have you considered adding cool spikey wheel scythes, in preparation for just such an eventuality?

I'd love to put a gun turret on the roof sometimes , driving a whale like this around a town center, can test a man :p

Fair play OP.

Feck the begrudgers.

Sure I suppose they want the OP to hand over 80% of his net to a REIT to rent a shoebox.

Man is paying PAYE, PRSI and USC. Pays for his waste and buys his water. Pays road tax.

Like the longterm plan of off grid as much as possible. The problem (and upside) in my experience is kids. I was down to no bins, no internet, no phone bill, €40 a month ESB and the house more or less paid for. Couple kids and tis all only going one way

Truth man.
    The kids thing, well it looks like my life is panning out that I'm not having them, Id like to still and to be honest it would be the only event besides my death that would change my current plans.
    So this van/ good life pan, is my plan B for my life without sprogs.

It would be great to have kids once set up on the land, but thinking like that is pointless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thank you, and you summed up the sad situation precisely.
    It is not lost on me that I am one of the lucky ones in that I have a half decent job, but even with that, I have no chance of owning any form of home if I play the normal game.
    Its crazy and I have to stop thinking about Irish Politicians or my blood pressure goes up, for a while there I was a bit angry and resentfully about being in this position, even tho Ive played the game and done all the things you are supposed to do.
    I've embraced this life and made it mine and Im glad I did this , definitely

yeah its a whole other thread but the housing situation means that many people now under 35 will never be able to buy their own house in the same way that their parents were able to. Its a shocking situation when people in good jobs are doing everything they are supposed to be doing but there is no reward or security for them in terms of housing. With all these people forced into renting for life you would wonder what will happen when they reach 65-70 and no longer have an income to pay the extortionate rents. Its like a time bomb that will go off further down the road because of bad policies put in place now.

Anyway wishing you the best of luck in your quest. Its admirable that you are just getting on with it and making the best you can out of a sh1tty situation that is not of your own creation. Kudos mate, massive respect.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Hi there OP

Your doing a great job on this thread, its one of the best we have had in my opinion.

I live an off grid life in the mountains of Kerry (we are still currently connected but that will change soon - we get power from solar with large batteries with hydro and wind coming this year). I admire you for living your dream, its what I did and I will never regret it, the old world is now a long way away now.

Anyhow can you elaborate on what scared you away from the car park ? Its just that I like a good spooky tale ?

Cheers SlowBlowin, the positive response from everyone is quite humbling, like I say, this is all very hum drum and routine to me these days, I forget its wierd lol.

You guys are where I'm trying to get to, so that inspires me.

Spooky Car park - quite voices and footsteps , sounded like walking aroud the wagon. Got out checked two or three times , no one there, Im miles from anyone .Got back inside , happened again. Hair on my neck stands up like electricity.. Bloody flew outta there.

Sounds mad, could all be in my head. I dont care about this stuff generally , Im currently parked next to a church crypt as I type this, no one else here at all. great spot!

mea_k wrote: »
    Litterly my ideal man. I've looked in to this myself. Tiny living vans. I have pass for swimming pool so showers wouldn't be short of. They work 6 am till 10pm. Only what's holding me back is the fact I have toddler and my beliefs would be found upon. Possibly beeing teased at school later. Kids are horrible to each other sometimes. But defenatley will be doing this when he is older.

Hay , thanks Mea, that reassuring , Ireland is so conservative still in some ways, I do worry a bit that ladies would just think I'm a freak/drop out / failure doing this.
    I aint really dated too much since Ive been doing this, but I will be making my lifestyle one of the first topics of conversation on the next date, to lay it on the table straight off.

I understand your concerns about other people reactions if you followed this path, like I mentioned, conservative Ireland is quite judgmental to anything beyone the norm, even younger folk.
    England, whatever its flaws, is a much more liberal place for stuff like this, even the cops.

• Advertisement

Great thread OP and best wishes- I hope your dream house comes soon :)

A few questions for you

1. So you say you make the best coffee- what beans are you using?

2. When you’re driving around does all your stuff not get thrown around the van or how do you prevent that from happening?

3. How much do you reckon you’ve saved on rent in the last 2 years?

4. If there were all year camp sites with a decent negotiated rate per month like the have throughout Europe, would you consider using that instead?

5. You mentioned the general benefits of camper vaning, If I wanted to get a standard small camper van for leisure use, what sort of money would I need? Secondhand of course.

Many thanks.

1. Well I think its great coffee, anything with a number 5 on it, Lidls finest will so. What makes it taste great is the satisfaction of being able to make real coffee , anywhere any time. Im well addicted, this actually saves me a lot of money a week.Nothing like a real mug of Joe half way up a mountain in the rain.

2. You need to be on top of this, proper storage, just like a boat. I use nylon straps with clamps on them to secure a lot of stuff. The bed is a few feet high , and main storage underneath, I have like sections built into the floor under the bed to secure different stuff in different ways. Im always tweaking this.
    Beyond stuff flying around, having crap banging and knocking around in the back actually will drive you mad after a few hours driving.
    You get better at this the more you do it, my van is silent apart from the engine now, I take pride in this particular aspect.

3. Going off the last rent I as paying, I've saved myself about 14,000 rent so far. I did freeze for the first winter to achieve these savings ;)

4. Possibly, but, I'm like a Freebird man!

5. Buying a Factory Made camper - silly money frankly, thats not a world I know anything about really.
    Half decent van with a CVRT, medium wheel base, high roof - 3000 to 5000 depending on year. As for the kit out I started with a rubber mattress on the van floor. Ive come along way since then. How much do you want to spend and how nice do you want it? 5000 all in you can get a nice little self buld for weekends, but you have the bloody Irish Bureaucracy to deal with re registering as a camper, which is a PITA, and another wegde of dosh that the Civil Service decides the amout on top for the privilege. Have a goo on Adverts/ Done Deal, always a few knocking around, some pretty stealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You can get a weekend /day van conversion classification, a lot easier than the full camper conversion afaik,

I think the day van/weekend classification is determined on the height of the roof.
    If you can stand upright in it, its a campervan.

You may already be a member , but there are loads of Facebook groups who can advise.
    Total motorhome Ireland, Motorhomecraic etc.

I have to say this is one of the most fascinating threads I've ever read on Boards; i admire the OP's spirit & determination & am not all that surprised about the begrudgery from some quarters. There is a certain appeal about what he's doing & i imagine that it certainly puts things into perspective.

O.P. what is the worst thing/experience you've had since you began this?

What is the best experience since you began this?

What do you do for big events? i.e. Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, weddings etc?

What do you miss the most about 'settled' living apart from your dogs?

Do you think you have learned something new about yourself?

Thanks again & hope it works out well.

P.S. as others have said some YouTube video's would be the business but maybe upload them after you have the forever home.

O.P. what is the worst thing/experience you've had since you began this?

The first few months where I just charged into it ill prepared were not fun,it was freezing and it was a jump into the unknown. the first few nights were unnerving,lying in the back of a van on the side of the road in a new town wondering wtf am I doing. All I had to hold onto was a decent job offer.
    I just ground it out , but was skirting depression a little before I started this and in the initial phase. I got into drinking a too much to keep warm and numb basically. But once I released I could make this work and make it work well, boom, I was into it and its all worked so far. And quit the drink through doing this, which has been a massive boost to my life.
    Thankfully, no horrible incidents with random chancres or anything like that, Ive never felt under threat at all.

What is the best experience since you began this?

Having Guns N' Roses land next to my van in their choppers at Slane. Funny contrast I thought.

But waking up on any isolated beach early in the morning is awesome.

The best experiance - Really being forced to find out about myself in doing this I guess.

What do you miss the most about 'settled' living apart from your dogs?

Not being able to run a fast PC with a monster graphics card is a pain. Ermmm...infinite running water? Not much lol.

Do you think you have learned something new about yourself?

Ive changed for the better more in 2 years than the previous 12. A tough but very positive, empowering experience. Im a lot more honest with myself, which can be brutal lol.

Great thread, thanks for doing an AMA. Most questions I had have been asked and answered. Getting a camper or converted van is something I have on my list of things to get as I think it would be a great way to holiday (anything half decent is damn expensive though so I must look into conversions). Also and I know you aren’t doing this as you are off the beer but I would see it as great for using when going on the beer. I live rurally and being able to drive into town, park up fairly close to the pubs, head out for the night and sleep in the van/camper is very appealing even in my local city or town to eliminate getting taxis but also when traveling around the county.
    4 wheel = 3.5 tn Max, class C, normal licence.
    6 wheel = 3.5 tn+ , Class B (Registered Camper can be 3.5tn + and driven on class C I think)

You are mixing up the licenses. B license is a standard car license and a C license is a rigid truck license.

Fair play OP, I look at all the sh1te we've managed to fill every crevice of our house with. Would love to chuck it all out and go basic, but kids and Mrs G! might object a tad! :rolleyes:

A couple of questions please.....

You mentioned earlier about eating well without any take aways. Can you give us a rundown of what you've cooked in the last week please?

Have you given your van a name? If yes, can you share it?

One thing Ive gotten into is One Meal a Day and Intermittent fasting stuff, not like hardcore, but it works really well in van life, just doing all the cooking/messing/ eating in one go in an hour and be done with it. Logistically very easy in the van.

I get the family salad bowls, add Tuna, chickpeas, dried tomatoes, cheese, and what ever radom salad addition I see in super market. Falaffals , olives, eggs etc etc
    Other night I did Macaroni Cheese & Mushrooms.
    Had Homus and Mackerel tonight with a Spinachy salad.
    Alpen in the mornings.
    Summer is coming so dairy is about to be ditched untill September, just not worth it. But I had 4 months off dairy last year over summer, it was great.
    The unintended side effects/consequences of van life!

Food is generally bought daily or every other day to avoid storage issues, you can live out of canned food etc, but nah...I just buy fresh daily. Inevitable stuff goes off before I eat it, so in the bin.

Name of Van - Powerslave

• Advertisement

OP,

I would go even more extreme. Theres still lot of fat to be cut from your budget,
    Bog roll and milk - they can be expensive. Catch my drift?

The cottage ruin sounds possible, but its hard to find a bargain, without local knowledge. I am talking sub 50K.

Govt dont want people going off grid, or going against the mainstream. They want people in debt, working, paying taxes, and being a good consumer.

Yes, this is the best post I have seen on Boards for a while.

p.s. do you miss paying 1500 per month in rent?

Yeah, if I was bit younger , Id go super hardcore and do mega tight spending. But I am pretty simple, and my running costs are low enough, so Bog roll is worth the splurge.

Yes sub 50K wreck of a cottage on half an acre would be the goal.

The Gov? Fuk them frankly. And I have zero issue with high tax country but with reasonable services. We have High tax and declining services.
    I consider them the enemy at this stage. Way too much over reach, way too much interference in our lives , way too much tax, way to much corruption, way to much inefficacy, thought crime, etc etc
    I'd be worried if I was them to be honest. We aint gonna take it for ever.

I cant be alone in my extreme methods to survive our current governance!

Yes , breaks my heart not to give my wage to the landlords. Im not anti land lord at all, but Im not stupid, some people are making out like bank robbers on their fellow citizens sweat and blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I did this when I was younger, with a few differences. I lived in a van I converted myself, for short periods. Both in winter and summer. My wife and 4 kids shared the space. We parked in nice spots around the country, normally quite isolated.

It was called holidays. The kids, now adults with their own kids, still talk about how much of a great time they has in the various 'vans'. This was all before mobile phones, LED lighting, etc.

With a bit of effort, it can be a very comfortable existence. The Eberspacher diesel night heater was great, and double glazed (plastic) windows helped a lot.

If I were in the OPs position, I would do what he's doing in a heartbeat. But I would have the experience of kitting out a van to be a very comfortable space.

@OP: if you're going to re-do the van, spend a lot of time planning what goes where. Panel the van out with light plywood and have the insulation between it and the van walls. Install all the wiring and plumbing before lining. But you probably know all of that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Odelay wrote: »
    First you had a go about him not contributing..,, to what I’m not sure. Now it’s about the value of the van.

From an outsiders point of view it could be taken that you’re a little bit jealous?

Could you summarize your issues with persons choice of not paying ridiculous rent?

I wasn't replying to the OP, everyone should know a motor vehicle is not an asset.

You got me on the other I am jealous would love to live in a va :D

I did see before a guy on youtube who works remotely lives 6 months of the year in the US. He bought a motorhome, big comfortable stays in caravan parks. Look well happy with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Well done Van Man for making the move, I’ve a high top camper I use for surfing, well before the wife had twins, now I get to go away 3 to 4 times a year I’m working on more.
    If I were you I’d get 2 or 3 way 12V240/gas fridge, they are great don’t use to much, run it off 12 when driving, make sure to turn off the gas I’m always forgetting . Keep an eye on done deal and adverts you aren’t in a rush and they often pop up
    I never use campsites I always park by the sea – surfer thing you’ll understand
    Dolmen do let you have just a camper but the insurance is double and I don’t know if they cover full timers.
    Are you in Dublin or another city? Where do you dump the toilet? Tip Shannon marinas often have toilets and showers, cassette fits in a LIDL bag.
    I had a look at the photo of in side the van and I have to say you could make it more cosy, you aren’t using the back doors, put a double bed across the back. Put storage under it, with space for surfboards. Paint the inside white or a bright colour and varnish the kitchen. Take a look at the chart table in boats get rid of the seat and build in a storage bench.
    I wouldn’t bother with a shower, you’ll need a much bigger tank and grey water tank. You can have one in the Gym a marina like DL campers often park at the coal harbour, or got to a public pool, swim and shower. DLR leisure run 3 to 4 of them.
    I saw a van for sale on done deal they’d done a clever toiler. It was a standard porta pottie but was raised up on step to make it easier to use. The cubical was on heavy duty drawer / server rack runners so that it could be pulled out to make it bigger and pushed in when not in use, they migh strap it down when driving. https://www.donedeal.co.uk/campers-for-sale/peugeot-boxer-campervan/21747611
    You’ve mentioned diving license a few times I think you are mixing it up, Class B is a car license and you can drive up to 3.5 ton on that after that you need a C or higher.

You are dead right about the housing market, be good in school, go to college, get qualification, get a job but still quality housing is un-affordable, my parents managed on one income and a 20 year mortgage now it’s both parents working, child care, miserable guilt ridden mother can’t afford to save or put enough into a pension because of all of this – we elected the wrong government we should have let prices truly crash and say low. Enough money was pumped into the back to let them take the hit, we’d all be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tigletts

A few, I have location right next to a Crypt, that can be odd sometimes, but I want to see some of that stuff to be honest.
    Parking overnight in churches generally is a bit odd, but so am I.

Croagh Patrick, not the main car park, but down the lane to the sea side, burnt out old church on shore with small car park.
    I had a very odd night there, drove out of there quickly at about 4.30 in the morning spooked, never done that before or since.

When you are a good few miles up a Coilte track on your own in the woods/mountains, it can be pretty quite and spooky, but I like it.

Sheeps Head Peninsula, amazing place but super quite and spooky at night.

I live on the Sheep's Head Peninsula.... nothing spooky about the place!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 watn_a_van

How do you run things off the battery? Wish I knew how to do stuff like this.

I dont want a mortgage, Id aim to save 25,000, take out a loan on the strength of that, Id like to have 40,000 - 50,000 cash to buy, with that I can buy an old farm in Letrim or somewhere. Im very open on where Im actually gonna buy, could be Cork, could be Donegal.

West and south Wicklow also tend to have derelict cottages on half an acre. Theres loads about but they dont come up for sale all that often. Many have been derelict for 50+ years with the owners also owning all the land around them. I know someone who bought one by approaching the owner and asking him would he sell which he did. By being proactive he got a bargain on a cottage that would likely never have come on the market until he approached the landowner.
    Food is generally bought daily or every other day to avoid storage issues, you can live out of canned food etc, but nah...I just buy fresh daily. Inevitable stuff goes off before I eat it, so in the bin.

Name of Van - Powerslave

If it is any use to you I have a mini freezer like this one https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/refrigeration/freezers/essentials-ctf34w18-mini-freezer-white-10174909-pdt.html?istCompanyId=fbc6ef6d-ab18-45e3-927a-0cb677794424&istFeedId=0959f117-9faa-4499-80bd-c0265bb2950e&istItemId=wrxatwmwq&istBid=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJ7hkduQ4gIVLrftCh2xzwqQEAQYASABEgI-afD_BwE
    I havent used it in a couple of years so if its of use let me know and its yours

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

watn_a_van wrote: »
    How do you run things off the battery? Wish I knew how to do stuff like this.

Easy enough, just use an inverter - a device that converts the vehicle's 12V AUX output to mains voltage. Halfords do an inexpensive range: https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-workshop/inverters

OP, I don't have a question for you but fair play to you, and the best of luck. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 watn_a_van

Why not just rent in Leitrim seeing as you could uproot your job for a house?

Cheaper than the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

No question to ask, just want to say, what an amazing attitude you have. Sometimes in life you need to make a sacrifice and a hard decision to achieve or better yourself and you seem well on the way to doing that.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Muahahaha wrote:
    If it is any use to you I have a mini freezer like this one

I havent used it in a couple of years so if its of use let me know and its yours

That's mains powered, is your one 12V? That one would be no use in a wild, off grid camper.

That's mains powered, is your one 12V? That one would be no use in a wild, off grid camper.

That's what an inverter is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

jimgoose wrote:
    That's what an inverter is for.

That's messy and inefficient.

Much easier and cheaper in then long run to buy the proper one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Regards, electrics/time/travel in a van, might be worth having an Anti Static Strip,
    not just to prevent static build up, but also general health (own biofield earthing: EMF protection).

But make sure to make sure all powered items are tested, and remove it during t-storms.

Would also have a false floor/side/roof or door insert to store valuables.

And a hidden, but accessible manual (pre-start) 'trip-switch' of sorts to dead the ignition system,
    may even prevent hot-wiring, but only really practical on older vans without advanced CPUs.

That's messy and inefficient.

Much easier and cheaper in then long run to buy the proper one.

Mmm. For what's it's worth, the 500W Ring inverter I linked to above is, according to the manufacturer, 90% efficient. Whether one can live with that in the context of a small freezer or a colour TV is up to the individual pilgrim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Apologies if it's already been asked but is there anything at all that you miss most from "normal" living that you cannot replicate when living in a converted van?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Can we stay on track with questions for the OP? You can discuss the electrics of a camper van in the Motorhomes, Campervans & Caravans forum if you wish - I get the feeling they might be getting some extra traffic after this thread :)

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Corkvanlife

I wasn't replying to the OP, everyone should know a motor vehicle is not an asset.

Campers don't depreciate the same as a car. Buy one for 10k now and you could sell them it for close to the same money, 2 years later. Well unless you make **** of it

• Advertisement

Campers don't depreciate the same as a car. Buy one for 10k now and you could sell them it for close to the same money, 2 years later. Well unless you make **** of it

Also they can appreciate if you buy in one country where vans are cheap and sell in another where they are not. Aussie mate of mine is soon to purchase and convert in London and drive it to Sydney. He's done his homework and reckons he can get on the road for about €5k or 6k and then drive it across Europe, through the Middle East and down through SE Asia before a ferry from Indonesia to Darwin. Hes taking around 8 months for this trip and when he gets to Australia the local market price for it is around €8k-10k. Nice profit from something you've just had a massive road trip in.

The reason vans are worth more in Oz is because they are not all that common. While tradesmen in the UK/Ireland all use white vans in Oz they use utility vehicles so there is a huge shortage of vans on the local market, thus prices are higher.

Kind of reminds me of that scam some enterprising Irish university students were pulling years back. One of them had travelled to Russia and realsied that Ladas there were worth much more on the Russian market than they were here. So a group of them got together and bought up tons of Ladas here and shipped them back to Russia where they could double their money by selling them locally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement