Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mytaxi change in terms 5 Euro cancellation fee

• 09-05-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

See new mytaxi T&C's.
    I just received this email today

Subscription Service:
    We are introducing terms for a subscription service. Where we make this service available (currently trialed with a limited number of passengers), it allows you to pre-purchase time-limited plans that can be used to avail of discounts on rides.

Match Service:
    We are introducing terms for our Match service. Where we make this service available, it allows passengers to share a licensed taxi with other passengers who are travelling in the same direction and split the cost. The Match service is optional to our passengers and is currently only available in Limerick.

Voucher Conditions:
    We’re updating our terms to set out the conditions that apply to your use of vouchers and promotional codes. These new terms make it clear how and when you can use such vouchers and codes to pay for trips via the mytaxi app.

Payment Terms:
    We’re changing our terms dealing with cashless payment to make our respective rights and responsibilities clearer.

Cancellation Fee:
    We’re introducing a €5 passenger cancellation fee. You can cancel your trip at any time, but you may be charged a fee in certain cases where a driver already accepted your request, for example where you cancel 2 minutes or more after a driver accepts your request and is on route to pick you up. Read more about this change here. - https://mytaxi.com/fileadmin/Legal_Documents/Ireland/IE-Cancellation-Fee-May19.pdf

Future changes to the terms:
    We’re updating our terms to allow us to make minor changes to our terms in future without having to ask you to accept those terms. We’re also updating our terms to require us to take certain steps should we make more significant changes to our terms in future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Issue? Seems fair tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There should be a similar charge on taxi drivers who cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving to Commuting & Transport as there is no Consumer Issue here

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

seems very reasonable to me.

Full details in this PDF

https://mytaxi.com/fileadmin/Legal_Documents/Ireland/IE-Cancellation-Fee-May19.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do they refund the customer €5 if the taxi is late?
    i'm referring to this, btw:
    If a customer is not at the collection address within five minutes of the taxi driver’s arrival, meaning the driver has to cancel the order, there will also be a €5 fee.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mytaxi-cancellation-fee-4626578-May2019/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

.....for example where you cancel 2 minutes or more after a driver accepts your request.....

Wording doesn't seem right, should it not be '2 minutes or less'
    The idea is fair though.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no, i think the wording makes sense. if you cancel quickly enough, they'll operate on a 'no harm' basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

do they refund the customer €5 if the taxi is late?
    i'm referring to this, btw:

https://www.thejournal.ie/mytaxi-cancellation-fee-4626578-May2019/

That sounds fair and reasonable, so I'm guessing not a chance in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

says "If you decide to cancel your order for a taxi 2 or more minutes after the taxi driver accepted your order, you will be charged a €5 Cancellation Fee."

so if you can cancel less than 2 mins after driver accepts you would not be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

What happens if the driver thinks hes outside.
    But its put him outside the wrong address.
    You then go out and check and hes not there.
    You miss a phone call and ring him back and by this stage he's already cancelled.

You lose your 5 euro (maybe booking fee as well ?? but I dont think so)

I can see problems with this wait and see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

From a TAXIDRIVERS viewpoint .
    What is happening is people are going on the my taxi app at bus stops.
    They are obviously waiting for a bus and not a taxi .
    If the bus suddenly appears down the road approaching them , they will cancel the taxi .
    This normally happens during rush hours when buses are running late .
    It highly frustrating from a TAXIDRIVERS viewpoint as demand is high for taxis at that time .
    I take people's views on here about drivers cancelling calls on route .
    In this case some would be flagged down on route to customer .
    From a customers viewpoint that to is highly frustrating .

was just talking to a colleague about this - his partner has on several occasions booked a taxi on the app, and several minutes later, the driver has cancelled it. what happens then?

was just talking to a colleague about this - his partner has on several occasions booked a taxi on the app, and several minutes later, the driver has cancelled it. what happens then?

This is what I'm worried about.

Also this happened to me on saturday.
    I booked a taxi. And no sign, my battery died so i stayed where i was. He never showed up and when I got my phone powered on when I got home it said he had cancelled and I had missed calls.
    Would I be getting charged for that now ?
    I find taxis cancel on me WAY more often then I cancel on them, its constant on that app. I get 2/3 different drivers whenever I hail especially on weekend.

From a TAXIDRIVERS viewpoint .
    What is happening is people are going on the my taxi app at bus stops.
    They are obviously waiting for a bus and not a taxi .
    If the bus suddenly appears down the road approaching them , they will cancel the taxi .
    This normally happens during rush hours when buses are running late .
    It highly frustrating from a TAXIDRIVERS viewpoint as demand is high for taxis at that time .
    I take people's views on here about drivers cancelling calls on route .
    In this case some would be flagged down on route to customer .
    From a customers viewpoint that to is highly frustrating .

Is the taxi man getting this fee ? or is it a % ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I think it's fair but it should go both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bonjurkes

Mytaxi says on twitter that if driver cancels the ride, driver doesn't pay anything, but mytaxi claims they are closely watching for possible abuse of cancellation by drivers.

Only passengers will have to pay for €5 fee if they cancel after 2 minutes of requesting taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I have no problem with the five euro however there could be issues. I know i have often had a taxi driver claim to have been at a location to collect me when they haven't.

Is the taxi man getting this fee ? or is it a % ?

Big Mac .... We pay 12% commission to my taxis on all calls given to us .
    Prior to this we got no return on cancelled calls .

theyve some fuppin cheek

the geolocation since they moved to new app is consistently awful

the mapping of the closest taxi doesnt take route into account so a taxi that is straight line one minute from you but might have to take a ten minute detour to get there is always down as the lower time (if you think this doesnt come up a lot, try using the app on the quays or oconnell st sometime)

why you cannot move and the app track you after ordering is beyond me

taxis show as numerous and available until you hit to book then they all disappear and after five mins of searching some fella an hour away takes the fare

essentially this has become a sh1t service to use for quick pickup and its my last alternative these days- it used to work very well

i use it to pre-book these days, or if ive missed the last bus ill have a quick look. but the service is a long long way from what it was before new app and rebranding and a cancellation fee should be some way down the list of their concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

You don't do anything, the job goes back to the system and another driver will accept. You stay where you are and a driver that might even be closer to you could accept the booking. You haven't lost money on that transaction.
    A taxi driver on the other hand IS out of pocket. Your messing with his livelyhood. He could be passing by customers on the street to get to you. Honestly it's become a big problem. I've spent 20 minutes(as a driver) heading towards customers and then they pull in a taxi or something and just cancel. It's something that's becoming more common as people become more self centred and don't care who they are effecting once they are ok. When you book and you don't like the eta, then you should cancel. This nonsense of letting a driver head towards you and then taking a street car if you see one first has to stop it's terrible.

P.s drivers are already paid a cancellation fee when people cancel after a certain amount of time. Mytaxi have covered this cost themselves. It's obviously becoming to big a problem for them to just pay it and keep everyone happy.

• Advertisement

Big Mac .... We pay 12% commission to my taxis on all calls given to us .
    Prior to this we got no return on cancelled calls .

I know this, I’ve spoken to plenty of taxi men and I think 12% is a bit much for mytaxi to charge and cancellations obviously meant nothing.

But what I was asking was, does the taxi get the full 5 euro cancellation or does mytaxi get it. I assume the taxi driver gets it minus the 12%

I feel this cancellation fee could be open to be abused, I hope I’m wrong though. But I cant see mytaxi minding it they are making money on it.....

Many a dodgy taxi man out there not even legit.
    Also just as many dodgy passengers.

I feel taxis and passengers should move to a different service which doesn’t charge such high fees. The service went down hill after Hailo.

iamtony wrote: »

P.s drivers are already paid a cancellation fee when people cancel after a certain amount of time. Mytaxi have covered this cost themselves. It's obviously becoming to big a problem for them to just pay it and keep everyone happy.

Ashleigh above says different ???

You don't do anything, the job goes back to the system and another driver will accept. You stay where you are and a driver that might even be closer to you could accept the booking. You haven't lost money on that transaction.
    A taxi driver on the other hand IS out of pocket. Your messing with his livelyhood. He could be passing by customers on the street to get to you. Honestly it's become a big problem. I've spent 20 minutes(as a driver) heading towards customers and then they pull in a taxi or something and just cancel. It's something that's becoming more common as people become more self centred and don't care who they are effecting once they are ok. When you book and you don't like the eta, then you should cancel. This nonsense of letting a driver head towards you and then taking a street car if you see one first has to stop it's terrible.

I lose time thou. Most of the time, some driver accepts my ride but puts me on hold till he completes his current job. 10-15 minutes pass and then driver cancels it. For this case, if I have to cancel this trip I will have to pay €5 then appeal thru the app to get my money back. Plus if I am in hurry, I will lose time.

As a passenger, this is what I consider: I hail the taxi thru an app that I have to pay €2 so taxi will come and pick me up. When driver accepts my request app says that driver will be here in 5 minutes, which is fine. If this takes longer (because of the miscalculation of the app, driver, traffic, you name it) and if I see a taxi passing nearby, I would cancel the trip and go for the closest taxi passing by which will save my time and money.

How does driver get penalized when they put their next customer on hold while they deliver current passenger and then cancel the next trip. Does mytaxi charge you any money or give you any warning? Or do they just let you get away with it?

I agree big mac but no system is flawless , especially ones involving TAXIDRIVERS.
    There's a gold/ silver/ bronze status with my taxi.
    The more calls you do the higher up the grade you go .
    The cars that are gold will see the calls in their app longer than silver... Longer than bronze .
    It's created a dog eat dog among drivers .
    Some drivers don't even turn on app anymore .
    To many cars (galway ) for the amount of work coming tru the app.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved away from My Taxi a long time ago due to constant driver cancellations.
    I have no problem with the customer being charged for cancellations but it has to go both ways . I have often hailed a taxi on the street and get in to see him cancelling his booked fare.

bonjurkes wrote: »
    I lose time thou. Most of the time, some driver accepts my ride but puts me on hold till he completes his current job. 10-15 minutes pass and then driver cancels it. For this case, if I have to cancel this trip I will have to pay €5 then appeal thru the app to get my money back. Plus if I am in hurry, I will lose time.

As a passenger, this is what I consider: I hail the taxi thru an app that I have to pay €2 so taxi will come and pick me up. When driver accepts my request app says that driver will be here in 5 minutes, which is fine. If this takes longer (because of the miscalculation of the app, driver, traffic, you name it) and if I see a taxi passing nearby, I would cancel the trip and go for the closest taxi passing by which will save my time and money.

How does driver get penalized when they put their next customer on hold while they deliver current passenger and then cancel the next trip. Does mytaxi charge you any money or give you any warning? Or do they just let you get away with it?
    if drivers constantly cancel they get barred off the mytaxi system. For drivers accepting jobs while on jobs that is a practise they shouldn't engage in and you should report it in the app.
    Sometimes traffic changes after a driver has accepted your booking like a protest (more common than you think) of a collision and it's not the fault of the driver if he can't make it exactly on the time the app told you. Sometimes that is why drivers cancel, and I've genuinely done it with the good of the customer in mind. If I'm stuck somewhere and I think they have a better chance of getting a closer car then I will let it go.

if drivers constantly cancel they get barred off the mytaxi system. For drivers accepting jobs while on jobs that is a practise they shouldn't engage in and you should report it in the app.

Well mytaxi app itself allows this, practically it says : Please hold on while your driver completes his current job. He will right be with you. So mytaxi endorses this feature.
    Sometimes traffic changes after a driver has accepted your booking like a protest (more common than you think) of a collision and it's not the fault of the driver if he can't make it exactly on the time the app told you. Sometimes that is why drivers cancel, and I've genuinely done it with the good of the customer in mind. If I'm stuck somewhere and I think they have a better chance of getting a closer car then I will let it go.

For this case, there is an option for driver to call the passenger and let them know. But it's not feasible for the customer to call the taxi driver when there is another taxing passing by on the street, as you either hail the taxi or you lose it.

bonjurkes wrote: »
    Well mytaxi app itself allows this, practically it says : Please hold on while your driver completes his current job. He will right be with you. So mytaxi endorses this feature.

For this case, there is an option for driver to call the passenger and let them know. But it's not feasible for the customer to call the taxi driver when there is another taxing passing by on the street, as you either hail the taxi or you lose it.
    Oh that's a follow on job and you only get them just as your about to drop off. It shouldn't delay you more than a minute and usually that driver will be closer than the next nearest car by a good bit as it only happens when it's busy and no other cars are available near by.

If you want to hail a taxi, hail a taxi. If you want to book one on the app then do that. Please don't do both it's very bad manners and says a lot about your character. Take other people into consideration. You can ruin an hour's pay for a driver with that kind of messing. You will probably be paid anyway if your working and if not then your not loosing money.

Ashleigh above says different ???
    we do. It's called a scrub payment. It isn't automatic, we have to apply for it so it's s hassle and easy to forget to do it when your busy.

• Advertisement

we do. It's called a scrub payment. It isn't automatic, we have to apply for it so it's s hassle and easy to forget to do it when your busy.

A proper system would be ...
    You go on your app and order a my taxi .
    Driver pulls up at destination .
    Presses arrive button .
    Customer has 2 minutes to get into taxi .
    After that meter goes on .
    Customer is aware they are on the clock regarding no charge for 2 minutes.
    Unfortunately the scumbag drivers ( of which there are many) will Press the arrive button as they drive to pick up client .
    As I've already said " when your dealing with TAXIDRIVERS NO SYSTEM CAN WORK 100 % "

Advertisement