Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Danny Baker gets P45 from 5Live.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it was a pretty dumb tweet to put out in fairness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No sauce at all now on a Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's an incredibly stupid thing to put out there. Surely he must have realised how it could have been viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭plodder

That's an incredibly stupid thing to put out there. Surely he must have realised how it could have been viewed.
    If he didn't, then he shouldn't be behind a mic- talking to millions of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What an ass! Of course he did. The cover story about seeing the Royals as Circus animals is a poor excuse to wheel out.... You'd think he'd have come up with something better.

Will walk into another gig with TalkSport or some other crowd, where his rent a gob laddish attitude will be welcome,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If he did know he must have known he'd get sacked.
    On the other hand maybe he just wasn't thinking in a racist manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

It was clearly meant as a bit of light hearted hunour for the day that was in it, akin to the Serena Williams cartoon after she had her tantrum.

Seems very harsh to sack him, but it looks like the BBC are trying to appeal to a different listnership than the one Danny Baker appeals to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not if you don't think like that. But he probably should have had somebody vetting his tweets.
    If he thought it with a certain idea in mind, and posted it still in that frame of mind then it is understandable that he wouldn't have seen the racist side of it.

Saying that, it is very very hard to defend.

I can see the whole 'perform for us' aspect etc. and the circus surrounding the couple having the baby. But the time to get the picture and post it has to have clicked something in his mind.
    He's a Milwall fan.... He couldn't not have seen the 'other' side that people were complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Stupid alright...stupid he got sacked....but how many of us got a good laugh at the image being Whatsapp'd around here with the queen holding the black baby looking horrified.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

kneemos wrote: »

The guy may or may not be racist,he seemed to have a plausible explanation for the tweet however.

Not really. Chimpanzees are not synonymous with circuses. When you think of circus animals you don't think of chimpanzees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

he was on with JOB there, sounds absolutely rattled.

He himself agrees that he should have lost his job.

he was on with JOB there, sounds absolutely rattled.

He himself agrees that he should have lost his job.

Think thats called "saving face".......it could be a career ender for him..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

DB has always seemed like a pretty good guy, I find it hard to believe that he intended the racism of the tweet, more likely he just thought it was a funny image.

Not that I care, but it would never have occurred to me that MM is "mixed-race", if the papers didn't mention it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Not really. Chimpanzees are not synonymous with circuses. When you think of circus animals you don't think of chimpanzees.

You what now.

Its clear he was trying to be funny, not realising the IR connotations.

Never under estimate the stupidity of jocks. Too quick on the button this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

He had a portion on his radio show 'Monkeys dressed as Celebrities' - a surreal piece of fluff and never offensive - and I immediately associated this story with that. Of course the vast majority of the public would be unaware of his show, but I would think the tweet was directed at his followers, who would be aware and see the joke within that context.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

8mv wrote: »
    He had a portion on his radio show 'Monkeys dressed as Celebrities' - a surreal piece of fluff and never offensive - and I immediately associated this story with that. Of course the vast majority of the public would be unaware of his show, but I would think the tweet was directed at his followers, who would be aware and see the joke within that context.

It's a Twitter hit job. Racist or not he should be believed in his explanation.
    The jury is in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Former Gogglebox regular Sandra Martin, who had earlier called for his firing, celebrated the news, tweeting: "GREAT NEWS DANNY BAKER IS SACKED."

Assholes like this are the real problem with society.

Ardent wrote: »
    Assholes like this are the real problem with society.

Theres a lot worse i would like to call her...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod Note

Not sure this is the place for this as more chat than his radio show (which is now gone), let me just check with other mods

thanks PC7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement