Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chernobyl - HBO/Sky *Spoilers*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hear more of that sound, starting May 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Trailer.

Looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That gave me the shudders!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That does look very good...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks superb. Great cast too.

Barry Keoghan too... fair play to him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Very impressive with a great cast. Did I see the Love Hate Cat Killer there?

I've been to Chernobyl so very eager to see how they've recreate the surrounding area and how they bring places like the Red Forest into the story. It's HBO so I'm hoping the CGI is up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i also can't wait to see this,

as someone who lived through that time i have a keen interest in it

i recommend the channel 4 documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

this is a great documentary on Chernobyl. Features the bould Mick-Ay-El as well.

Never forget the bravery of the poor men who went up on the roof to shovel the radioactive waste back in to the reactor, and the men who worked underground to prevent the catastrophe.

I saw a recent documentary on BBC who's name escapes me. Anyone?

Also the babushkas of chernobyl is well worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

there was another documentary about the wildlife around chernobyl...and surprisingly despite the high radiation levels some species are thriving :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

There was documentary on BBC4 a few months back about the building of the dome over the reactor.

Amazing feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ignore, just saw thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yesterday the 26th was the 33rd anniversary of the disaster.

I read a non spoiler review which said this is really haunting & powerful.

It starts on May 6th on both HBO & Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

That was harrowing great TV

• Registered Users Posts: 84,833 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yesterday the 26th was the 33rd anniversary of the disaster.

I read a non spoiler review which said this is really haunting & powerful.

It starts on May 6th on both HBO & Sky.

33 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

It would be interesting to see how they drama this incident up. The spoiler of reality here is that only 2 people died in the explosion. Tragically 4 died when a helicopter trying to extinguish the fire crashed when it clipped cables hanging from a crane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuNtgYtF4FI&feature=youtu.be

Around 30 died from radiation sickness and the amount who indirectly died due to cancers is highly disputed as the cancer level was high in the area to begin with. That also goes for the birth defects.

Interestingly the last reactor to stop producing electricity was shut off in the year 2000, so it was business as usual in the other 3 reactors for years after the incident!

well is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Great opener but I think it needed Ukrainianised English accents, having pure UK accents lost it a little, having said that if it was subtitled it would have been pure pain.

Growing up I remember nothing at all about it, don't remember it being on the news when it happened at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Great opener but I think it needed Ukrainianised English accents, having pure UK accents lost it a little, having said that if it was subtitled it would have been pure pain.

Growing up I remember nothing at all about it, don't remember it being on the news when it happened at all.
    Was definitely on the news back then. We also got our iodine tablet afterwards.

Big worry was fallout and milk getting contaminated

That was a tough watch. The soundtrack is so unsettling!

Feels like the director has got a proper approach set out for it.

The only negative that threw me out a few times were the english accents. Not all have english accents either so it feels a bit weird. I'll probably get used to em as it goes on. I know they didn't matter a bit right at that final scene!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really liked that first episode as ive always found the whole Chernobyl thing really interesting ive watched dunno how many different documentaries on it at this stage plus i was born a month after it happened so explains a lot :pac:

Herself cant see past the English accents and finds it really hard to take it seriously but once i kinda figured out what they where doing i just ignored it.

I think once the story acting writing and atmosphere are on the the right level gimme English accents over bad Ukrainian ones!.

Seen a few familiar faces in it which was funny especially the da from Friday night dinner!! I think that took me out of it more then anything picturing him during the Chernobyl disaster haha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yeah the girl from Line of Duty the other night is in it. And a lad from Emmerdale/Happy Valley!

Did anyone predict what the guy at the start was gonna do?

Yeah the girl from Line of Duty the other night is in it. And a lad from Emmerdale/Happy Valley!

Ya your man from Mad Men and Fringe is in there to and fella who was in the Thor films :pac: Ian from Shameless in there somewhere as well!

Not the first show hes done it in seems to be his special move!!

I thought he was gonna be killed by yer man in the car. As it got closer to what actually happened.. it became clearer what he was gonna do. Not sure why it reminded me of Shawshank Redemption but it did.

During it, the behaviour of the cat kinda set me into the cold episode to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

I remember watching a documentary about that accident and it was fundamentally down to a very poor design that was more about generating plutonium for weapons than electricity for consumption.

It used a weird combination of a water cooled, graphite core that led to a "high positive void coefficient" which basically meant that when the reactor boiled, the steam bubbles removed the neutron-absorbing characteristics of the water in the cooling channels and actually speeded up the reaction - to a runaway state that was uncontrollable.

It was a rally bad design compromise.

Not only that, but the units had no secondary containment. They just had a concrete 'biological shield' (a bit huge concrete lid). Beyond that they were just sitting in a normal building. So when the reactor blew up, it shot the lid through the ceiling and spewed radioactive material into the surrounding environment.

In a normal western design, there's very conservative secondary containment buildings and they avoid that positive coefficient void situation in any design.

Anteayer wrote: »
    I remember watching a documentary about that accident and it was fundamentally down to a very poor design that was more about generating plutonium for weapons than electricity for consumption.

It used a weird combination of a water cooled, graphite core that led to a "high positive void coefficient" which basically meant that when the reactor boiled, the steam bubbles removed the neutron-absorbing characteristics of the water in the cooling channels and actually speeded up the reaction - to a runaway state that was uncontrollable.

It was a rally bad design compromise.

Not only that, but the units had no secondary containment. They just had a concrete 'biological shield'. Beyond that they were just sitting in a normal building. So when the reactor blew up, it shot the lid through the ceiling and spewed radioactive material into the surrounding environment.

In a normal western design, there's very conservative secondary containment buildings and they avoid that positive coefficient void situation in any design.
    Fair play to you on your knowledge. It's probably basic enough physics but too complex for me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The "New Safe Containment" or just the new sarcophagus is a really interesting piece of engineering if anyone is looking for some follow up to watch. Constructed out of the danger zone then rolled into place, robots going in to work on the molten core.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Fair play to you on your knowledge. It's probably basic enough physics but too complex for me. :o

Basically, when you design something like a nuclear reactor (or anything else that could be dangerous or a huge environmental risk) you normally try to ensure that it will 'fail safe'. So, if something goes wrong, the system will naturally shut down / trip out.

I don't think we'll ever see anything so dangerous ever constructed again. Your typical electricity generating reactor as you'd find in the in Europe (including the other Russian design), were single purpose and generally very safe.

There are still 11 RMBK (Chernobyl type) reactors in service, although they have been highly modified to make them a lot safer. Lithuania had one in operation until 2004, but was required close it as part of their EU membership as they're considered too dangerous to operate in the EU.

Advertisement