Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long term investment

• 05-05-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

My nephew is 1 shortly. I was pondering on giving him €1k and let this do him for 17 years worth of birthdays. His parents are minimalist and he doesn't live nearby.

What's a good place to invest it for him? I see 1.5% APR. Is there a better option?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Sniipe wrote: »
    My nephew is 1 shortly. I was pondering on giving him €1k and let this do him for 17 years worth of birthdays. His parents are minimalist and he doesn't live nearby.

What's a good place to invest it for him? I see 1.5% APR. Is there a better option?

i thought you were saying that you be giving him 18k :), you need to beat inflation so stick it in UK 10 year bonds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

i thought you were saying that you be giving him 18k :), you need to beat inflation so stick it in UK 10 year bonds.

And see it wiped out by FX! You are talking about a country that has not produced a positive balance of trade in over 30 years, a country who is about to walk away from trade agreements covering 90% of it's exports, a country who is about to loose passporting of financial services into Europe and a country who's central bank's reserves are only a fraction of that of the ECB or Swiss National bank so it will not be able to defend the pound over a sustained period without causing massive inflation...... Why the hell would you go investing in such a country when there are so many alternatives that do not require such risk taking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And see it wiped out by FX! You are talking about a country that has not produced a positive balance of trade in over 30 years, a country who is about to walk away from trade agreements covering 90% of it's exports, a country who is about to loose passporting of financial services into Europe and a country who's central bank's reserves are only a fraction of that of the ECB or Swiss National bank so it will not be able to defend the pound over a sustained period without causing massive inflation...... Why the hell would you go investing in such a country when there are so many alternatives that do not require such risk taking?

Night is darkest just before the dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Perhaps I should buy him lego :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Microsoft or Disney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Sniipe wrote: »

For 1k, just buy prize bonds and choose the option to reinvest any winnings.
    In 17 years it might be worth a good bit, or just 1k :D

A bit of a surprise for him, either way in 17 years 1k will still be a good bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could always put it into some risky investment with a finite chance of very high return for him.

Or buy him a few teddy bears and a few cardboard boxes he can play with now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Night is darkest just before the dawn.

And that is the best you can come up with in defence of your investment suggestion... in other words you have not got a clue and are just repeating what the talking heads said.

Advertisement