Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 3 "The Long Night" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I read a good story the other day about way fans of all series get annoyed at the end and its mainly got to do with the fact they spend so much time reading fan theories and having there own that when it comes to pass and is different they go banana's and can't hack it hasn't gone the way they expected ,

I can assure you, that's not me. I'm pissed off because here was a show that was brave, courageous and said no, we're not going to do what everyone else does. Were going to tell the story no matter how it goes. Something changed and that something was overtaking the books - no way GRRM would have written this tripe.

My main gripes are twofold:

1. The absolutely diabolical writing and inconsistencies (e.g. zombie dragon takes a 700ft wall and decimates part of Winterfell with its fire yet Jon is grand behind a rock) littered throughout the episode. Arya making it past a legion of wights and white walkers unnoticed to take out the NK when earlier she was discovered in the library when a drop of blood was heard hitting the ground - a drop of blood.

2. The entire show (and books) have built this up since day one, literally day one. 8 seasons of Winter is coming. The throne no longer mattered. All that mattered was over coming the greatest threat to life. And it's over, in one episode. The NK vanquished. A character who is 8000 years in existence. In the most ridiculous, non GRRM way I could ever have imagined.

I'll leave it at that - I have my opinion, you have yours which I respect but I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just on the Arya point:
    The scene in the library I think was meant to show how she could move around in silence. The wights didn't hear her moving, they heard some blood drip off her face. That scene may have been there to kinda explain how the WW didn't notice her. Possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Keyzer wrote: »

Words cannot describe how stupid this move was or how bad this writing was.

The more I think about this episode, the more I think they have destroyed the entire show.

The mission north to capture the Wight was just as imbecilic,that was the real jump the shark moment and the show has been on a downward spiral since.
    Logic has completely gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

The level of outrage on this thread is quite amusing. As someone who's read all the books and avidly watched all the previous episodes, I agree that it was somewhat anticlimactic. And I also agree with the YouTube video arguing that Theon would have been a more fitting (and poetic) NK killer.

But it is what it is. It was a nerve wracking episode and my heart was racing at the end. The way they built up the tension at the start was brilliantly done, but many of the later scenes were definitely too dark and difficult to follow because of that.

I agree that the plot armour was a bit overdone, but it was too early in the series to kill off any of the major players and I don't have a problem with Arya being the one to deliver the fateful blow. She was my favourite character in the books (although I think I enjoyed Tyrion more) and the comic book KickAss references by many posters are a bit overdone, although somewhat understandable.

I'm looking forward to the last three episodes, although it does feel like the main climax has already been reached. There are still a lot of subplots to be finalised and I'm really looking forward to seeing Cersei getting her much deserved comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I still find it gas people giving out at the same time about it not being realistic then also decrying Jon not killing the Night King.

If this was a real battle, one side alone has 100,000+. That's a number that could collectively be best described as a population. With those numbers at play, it's extremely unlikely that two specific people on opposing sides would even see each other, much less kill each other. It's much more likely that someone completely random would kill either or both of them (99,999/1 in favour of a wight killing Jon over the NK, for example), especially once the dragon battle is over and they're both on foot in separate locations.

These criticisms don't match up and the showrunners can't make a 'perfect' show while that's the case. It's literally impossible if those are the expectations you bring to the table: "Be realistic but also give me the specific things I want regardless of how realistic they are." That mindset will disappoint you 100% of the time with any story. It's truly can't win territory and the only thing that can possibly give here are people's expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

leggo wrote: »
    I still find it gas people giving out at the same time about it not being realistic then also decrying Jon not killing the Night King.

If this was a real battle, one side alone has 100,000+. That's a number that could collectively be best described as a population. With those numbers at play, it's extremely unlikely that two specific people on opposing sides would even see each other, much less kill each other. It's much more likely that someone completely random would kill either or both of them (99,999/1 in favour of a wight killing Jon over the NK, for example), especially once the dragon battle is over and they're both on foot in separate locations.

These criticisms don't match up and the showrunners can't make a 'perfect' show while that's the case. It's literally impossible if those are the expectations you bring to the table: "Be realistic but also give me the specific things I want regardless of how realistic they are." That mindset will disappoint you 100% of the time with any story. It's truly can't win territory and the only thing that can possibly give here are people's expectations.

It's called having a nuanced opinion. It's possible to have wanted a more realistic battle plan AND for John and the NK to find each other across a crowded battlefield, especially as John knew where he was going ie. The Gods wood. Neither are mutually exclusive.

It's called having a nuanced opinion. It's possible to have wanted a more realistic battle plan AND for John and the NK to find each other across a crowded battlefield, especially as John knew where he was going ie. The Gods wood. Neither are mutually exclusive.

That’s not what nuance means. Saying “I want realism” but then rooting for an outcome that’s unlikely in a realistic scenario is contradictory.

In a realistic scenario, Arya would be the only person we’ve seen who has the skills required to kill the NK in the situation described. Having Viserion guard the Godswood and WWs guard the entrance is a logical strategy, Jon couldn’t have gotten past that (and didn’t). Having the army of the dead overwhelm the living to be able to enact that strategy is totally believable. In that instance, Arya being the one to kill him is more realistic than having Jon somehow down a dragon and overcome a dozen WWs. Nobody is going to do that, even if it’s a team effort there’s not even enough Valyrian Steel swords to take out the WWs if you somehow navigate past the dragon.

So if it’s realism you want, Jon doing it is an absolute no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

leggo wrote: »
    That’s not what nuance means. Saying “I want realism” but then rooting for an outcome that’s unlikely in a realistic scenario is contradictory.

I’m fine without realism, it’s a show with magic and dragons FFS.

I’d settle for coherence with a dash of smarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Wasn't it Robert who said " only a fool would meet the Dothraki in an open field "

So the whole world thought you can not fight Dothraki in an open field , the Dotraki believed this themselves ,

So it makes sense as crazy horse riding hoard they had no fear and wanted to meet the army of the dead in an open field,

Why would they of a sudden they change how they do battle , there not trained Knights there a hoard of lunatics who meet you head on
    100% and it makes total sense. Everyone thought the Dothraki would take out a good portion of the NK's army. When Melissandre lit their swords it gave them extra confidence. Everyone was standing around waiting for something to happen and the Dothraki were like "fcuk it, lets charge". That was their fcuk up. As soon as they charged, the reserve started using the trebucets but only got off one round as anymore would've taken out the Dothraki as well. They should've held their nerve and waited until the enemy got closer but they are impulsive and not used to tactical battles. Brute force has always worked for them, expect this time it didn't.

Keyzer wrote: »
    Because it's absolutely stupid, that's why. Beyond stupid. Regardless of what the Dothraki thought, what idiot ordered the entire cavalry out first? Idiotic...
    There were a lot of stupid and unbelievable things that happened in this episode but the Dothraki charging as they usually do isn't one of them. I'd take more issue with Jorah riding back as a big one. He was at the head of the Dothraki charge. Even if he wanted to turn back, it shouldn't have been possible.

The second tactical issue I have is why the fcuk the Unsullied went out armed with six foot spears??? They are absolutely useless in hand to hand combat, something they supposedly learned when the Sons of the Haries were picking them off years ago. They should have been armed with swords and daggers. But everyone overlooks this because they died honourably.

A third point - why was Arya the only one to question Gendry on what the dead were actually like? She wanted to know what type of enemy she was facing and I suppose Gendry saying "death" was supposed to be some foreshadowing of what Arya says to death.

A fourth - when they believed that the cavalry were going to be useful, why weren't the Knight's of the Vale out there with the Dothraki? They had saved Winterfell once before yet this time they were foot soldiers with Brienne. It's definitely an inconsistency.

There is a lot to criticise about this episode but I just don't get the hate on why the Dothraki behaved like they did - charging has always been what they are known for and even people in Westeros had enough respect for their skills to fear them. The only criticism that I have about that charge is that it was always going to be a suicide mission with only their curved swords. Regular swords don't stop the dead but Gendry was never going to have enough time to equip them with dragon glass swords.

Maybe it's because they got decimated so quickly that it's p!ssing people off but I found it believable and a brilliant scene. Because they were on horse back there was feck all they could do when faced with the tsunami of dead. We saw how quickly Jorah got over run and lost his horse but he had space to get up and fight. The Dothraki had no chance to turn and run because their front riders would've been pushed forward by the back riders still charging (this is why I find it so unbelievable that Jorah made it out).

You talk about stupidity but remember the Battle of the Bastards? They talked about tactics and Jon was told not to meet Ramsay in the field. Even Sansa warned him that Rickon was as good as dead and don't do what Ramsay expected. Jon forgot everything in the heat of the moment and made a monumental mistake and nearly got his entire army killed. Only for the Knight's of the Vale turned up Jon would've lost, yet everyone still says that this was one of the best battles! The Dothtraki made a decision they always make to charge and yet you still think it was stupid?

• Advertisement

The show writers had to make a decision on who killed the Night King. I've watched a lot of videos dissecting the episode and as was pointed out in one, Jon having an epic sword fight with the NK and him wining would be too cliche. He already won against a WW and that's where he learned the value of Valerian steel, knowledge he could pass onto others. GRRM has always said he didn't want his story to be like a regular fantasy where the hero defeats the bad guy. So if not Jon, then who else?

One option offered up was Theon. I think that would have gone down worse than Arya. It might sound good in hindsight but it's too much of a stretch and would've p!ssed people off even more. If not Jon or Theon, then who else in Winterfell could do it? Sansa? The Hound? There was literally no one else with the training to pull it off.

I have problems with this episode but overall I can put them aside and enjoyed it. For me the NK has never been the biggest enemy. It's always been other humans, namely Cersei. I'm glad the NK plot has been put to bed and we can focus on what's going to happen. We're getting back to the Game of Thrones. Now the threat is over, how will Dany react to knowing that Jon has a greater claim than her? Will Tyrion stay loyal to Dany or side with Sansa? Varys has always claimed to be loyal to the realm, how will that play out? What is Jamie going to do? What is Jon going to do now he knows his heritage? Will Sansa get a show down with Cersei? Will Arya attempt to kill the Mountain and kick off Cleganbowl? Will Tormound finally knight Brienne?

So many more intriguing situations than some Zombie King who's only motivation was to kill all mankind. I can't wait for next week when it all kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭paulbok

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There were a lot of stupid and unbelievable things that happened in this episode but the Dothraki charging as they usually do isn't one of them. I'd take more issue with Jorah riding back as a big one. He was at the head of the Dothraki charge. Even if he wanted to turn back, it shouldn't have been possible.

The second tactical issue I have is why the fcuk the Unsullied went out armed with six foot spears??? They are absolutely useless in hand to hand combat, something they supposedly learned when the Sons of the Haries were picking them off years ago. They should have been armed with swords and daggers. But everyone overlooks this because they died honourably.

A third point - why was Arya the only one to question Gendry on what the dead were actually like? She wanted to know what type of enemy she was facing and I suppose Gendry saying "death" was supposed to be some foreshadowing of what Arya says to death.

A fourth - when they believed that the cavalry were going to be useful, why weren't the Knight's of the Vale out there with the Dothraki? They had saved Winterfell once before yet this time they were foot soldiers with Brienne. It's definitely an inconsistency.

There is a lot to criticise about this episode but I just don't get the hate on why the Dothraki behaved like they did - charging has always been what they are known for and even people in Westeros had enough respect for their skills to fear them. The only criticism that I have about that charge is that it was always going to be a suicide mission with only their curved swords. Regular swords don't stop the dead but Gendry was never going to have enough time to equip them with dragon glass swords.

Maybe it's because they got decimated so quickly that it's p!ssing people off but I found it believable and a brilliant scene. Because they were on horse back there was feck all they could do when faced with the tsunami of dead. We saw how quickly Jorah got over run and lost his horse but he had space to get up and fight. The Dothraki had no chance to turn and run because their front riders would've been pushed forward by the back riders still charging (this is why I find it so unbelievable that Jorah made it out).

You talk about stupidity but remember the Battle of the Bastards? They talked about tactics and Jon was told not to meet Ramsay in the field. Even Sansa warned him that Rickon was as good as dead and don't do what Ramsay expected. Jon forgot everything in the heat of the moment and made a monumental mistake and nearly got his entire army killed. Only for the Knight's of the Vale turned up Jon would've lost, yet everyone still says that this was one of the best battles! The Dothtraki made a decision they always make to charge and yet you still think it was stupid?

Jorah was seen falling back at one stage during the charge, perhaps he seen that they lost whatever shape they had and it wasn't going to go to plan. He was also the only non Dothraki and had military training do wasn't bound by their 'fighting honour' and would have quickly realise the plan was fooked and ordered a retreat, but few either heard him or listened to him. Those that did follow him back did look she'll shocked.

Agree with the second point, but maybe they are so we'll drilled at what they do, they couldn't be trained to fight in a different style?

On the third, Arya was an assassin of the many faced God, one of which is death (Syrio said to her that there is only one God and that is death, hence the not today quote). To me it made sense that she was facinated about the dead she was about to face having seen so many types of death in her training.
    Not directly related to your post,
    I think there was ever only going to be 4 characters that could kill the Night King, Job the obvious one, Dany and a dragon, Bran as the target of the NK and the highly trained assassin, agent of death.

Don't know if a trained and organised Vale Calvary would work alongside the mayhem of the Dothraki swarm, but I think it was down to numbers, they Vale army was needed on the other flank to Brienne.

As for the battle in general, it did make sense that the bulk of the defenders got decimated so quickly, but that for me made it that bit hard to believe they could hold on so long inside Winterfel once the walls and gates were breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭fash

There suppose to be savages feared by everyone in the open field, and now they have flaming swords, They thought they had nothing to fear as every army they ever came up againstfeared them,

How is that so hard to believe but Dragons , and army of the dead and a Night King is believable
    Being a "savage" doesn't mean you are stupid - the Mongols didn't take over the world by being stupid.
    The Dothraki only got flaming swords by accident (remember? Nobody knew Melisandre was coming)- their actual plan was to charge against the sea of Wights (and don't forget they knew how big the Wight army would be- it was on the war board in S8E2) with ordinary swords in the pitch dark.
    So the actual plan was for the Dothraki to commit suicide - but to do it faster and in the dark.
    Frankly I would have preferred a dialogue that they had to kill all the horses off screen to feed the population rather than a stupid plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

fash wrote: »
    Being a "savage" doesn't mean you are stupid - the Mongols didn't take over the world by being stupid.
    The Dothraki only got flaming swords by accident (remember? Nobody knew Melisandre was coming)- their actual plan was to charge against the sea of Wights (and don't forget they knew how big the Wight army would be- it was on the war board in S8E2) with ordinary swords in the pitch dark.
    So the actual plan was for the Dothraki to commit suicide - but to do it faster and in the dark.
    Frankly I would have preferred a dialogue that they had to kill all the horses off screen to feed the population rather than a stupid plan.

This.

The Dothraki are ASoIaF's version of Mongolians, Huns, and other stepped warriors. They were not savages, they were nomadic. Their culture was just different to the cultures around them. The same is true for the Dothraki.

This episode was dire, the more it is thought about and analysed, the more glaring plot holes are seen.

I think the reason for killing off the Dothraki and the Unsullied is for budget constraints, which the writers are going to work into the plot to show how what is left of the North is going to struggle against Cerci's forces. So essentially a story dictated by budget limitations.

At this stage it is best to see the books and the shoe as two different beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭fash

By rights, there is no need for a fight with Cersei (except for directorial decisions ordering it)- they have Bran to know everything and Arya to steal someone's face, sneak in and kill Cersei then take Cersei's face and surrender.

The term “savages” is used, in the context of the show, as a racist slur against the Dothraki. That’s how Cersei and Randyll described them to dissuade people from supporting Dany. It’s not meant as an accurate assessment of their culture or ability.

On the Dothraki point, the show should have been The Intentional Charge of the Light Brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

At this stage it is best to see the books and the shoe as two different beings.

I don't see much connection either tbh:

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F07%2Fgame-of-thrones-adidas-ultraboost-2019-collaboration-1.jpg?q=75&w=800&cbr=1&fit=max

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This.

The Dothraki are ASoIaF's version of Mongolians, Huns, and other stepped warriors. They were not savages, they were nomadic. Their culture was just different to the cultures around them. The same is true for the Dothraki.

Eh? The Dothraki's entire culture pre-Dany was one of conquering, killing and raping.

That's pretty much the description of a savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Necro wrote: »
    Eh? The Dothraki's entire culture pre-Dany was one of conquering, killing and raping.

That's pretty much the description of a savage.

We could say the same about the inhabitants of the 7 kingdoms. If we render down any culture down to basic pigeon holes, it is easy to label them as savages.

https://youtu.be/ddkc__6mgg4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

We could say the same about the inhabitants of the 7 kingdoms. If we render down any culture down to basic pigeon holes, it is easy to label them as savages.

So the actions of the Dothraki in the early stages of both the book and the series are not those of savages in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If the dohraki are the equivalent of the Mongols who is their Genghis Khan? Drogo conquered nothing bar other tribes. Dany isn't a military mastermind imo.

Saying someone is akin to the Mongols except they don't have a Genghis Khan figure is akin to saying this is like a steak but without the meat. He was such a large part of the reason that empire was all conquering, that I don't see how the comparison holds.

Necro wrote: »
    So the actions of the Dothraki in the early stages of both the book and the series are not those of savages in your opinion?
    Even Dany was horrified by how they behaved when they sacked somewhere. She tried to claim all the women to stop them getting raped which is what lead to the fight between Khal Drogo and the other guy, which ultimately lead to Drogo's death.

The people of Westeros aren't saints by any stretch of the imagination - Tywin sent the Mountain with a force to deliberately rape and plunder the countryside to stir things up but they do at least try to have some sort of civilisation in peace times. The Dothraki simply show up, rape, plunder, take slaves and move on to the next target.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Arya killing the Night King: it does seem strange - she's had nothing to do with that story all

Arya killing the Nights King is deadly. The way in which they did it - not so.

Her character as a stealthy and careful assassin was undermined by her manning the wall and mowing down the wights with a pike like a super soldier, then running scared like a regular joe, then sneaking around afraid of the wights tramping around like zombies, then killing the female wight with a deft cut, then running again, then bursting through a door screaming until Dondarrion saves her, being frightened again, looking overly concerned when Dondarrion (who she had previously wanted to kill) dies, then locked in a room with Melisandre, pep talk that made me cringe as it was a throwback to another character, then she runs off, then a gust of wind, suddenly comes charging out of no where (if she was stealthy enough to get past all the wights and white walkers, why didnt she sneak up on the nights king as well instead of charging at him), the whole knife drop thing was ok I suppose.

Other gripes are having an army outside the castle walls instead of inside, no prior skirmishes etc, and the stab the nights king and it all goes away stuff is a bit of an easy solution.

Her character as a stealthy and careful assassin was undermined by her manning the wall and mowing down the wights with a pike like a super soldier, then running scared like a regular joe,

Yeah I found that a bit odd. Had she lost the two-head axe by that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Watched it again. 3rd time. Some points still jumping out as bad particularly Sam, I counted 4 times he was swarmed. 4!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Watched it again. 3rd time. Some points still jumping out as bad particularly Sam, I counted 4 times he was swarmed. 4!

Someone on twitter said this was Sam for the entire episode

tenor.gif?itemid=11525536

And yet he survived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

razorblunt wrote: »

Bitch needs to die

It's not the first time they've got the situation wrong. The most ridiculous thing they did was have her be stabbed 5/6 times in the torso, fall in a manky river, sleep it off overnight and then beat the uninjured waif T-1000.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's not the first time they've got the situation wrong. The most ridiculous thing they did was have her be stabbed 5/6 times in the torso, fall in a manky river, sleep it off overnight and then beat the uninjured waif T-1000.

I suppose I can tolerate that a bit more because the Arya vs. waif thing is a relatively minor plot point and potentially allegorical for her own battles with her self identity etc. By contrast, the battle between the living and the dead is (possibly) the titular Song of Ice and Fire. So nothing could be more important to the plot than the defeat of the white walkers. Tonally, it all seemed a little bit off, perhaps as a combination of a lot of small things that didn't seem right.

Advertisement