Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Tuesday 30 April
    Plan: Easy 5m
    Actual: Easy 5m @8:22

Simple easy miles this morning before breakfast. Its the sinus that was bothering me but Caz (Pharmacist) has me dosed up and I feel reasonably healthy. The body on the other hand felt not as good. The right Achilles is tight every morning but loosens out soon enough. It took a mile to warm it up. My neck and shoulders are stiff for some reason. Basically taper sucks!

Not that it really feels like a traditional taper. I've run 47m in the last 6 days and there are 15 easy miles left to run before Sunday. Hopefully some of those miles feel light and fresh

I'd like to be a bit lighter again but I can't complain with the weight loss. This time last year I was watching the marathon 10kg heavier than I am this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm playing a bit of catchup here but is the target sub 3? Seems like everyone I know is sick this week from tapering!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'm playing a bit of catchup here but is the target sub 3? Seems like everyone I know is sick this week from tapering!

I appear to be sick from the bloody prospect of a slight HM race week taper :)

healy1835 wrote:
    I appear to be sick from the bloody prospect of a slight HM race week taper

You've had a hell of a block. I think it's usually only hindsight that makes us realise how run down we were getting. I was similar after Charleville. Very hard to stress the body to that level and come out the other side healthy when it ramps down unless you don't need to work for a living, or have zero stress, no kids, and your diet is perfect... I think you get where I'm going with this. Haha

It was originally but I didn't have the base built before starting the plan and I missed 2 weeks mid plan with the flu. So that would put it out of my reach this time. I haven't done proper marathon since 2011 (hence the need for a base) so the main goal is to finish strong and get the mojo back for running in general and going after sub3 at the DCM
    healy1835 wrote: »
    I appear to be sick from the bloody prospect of a slight HM race week taper :)
    I was perfectly healthy last Friday. Just cumulative fatigue. Then had mild headaches over the weekend and slight sniffles. Like the beginning of a headcold but other symptoms indicated sinus. My Wife is a Pharmacist and stepped in to worried marathon tapering hubby paranoia :rolleyes::cool: Sinus is not a concern for running for me unless it turns into a cough, then I'm in trouble with asthma.

Fingers crossed its just a bit of stress and a few days of fluids, calm and sleep will cover it and we will meet with smiles on Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck on Sunday! It's been a really interesting training block to follow both on here and Strava. Will you be sharing your bib number for the tracker :)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday! It's been a really interesting training block to follow both on here and Strava. Will you be sharing your bib number for the tracker :)

Thanks V. I suppose I will when I get it, sure why not! Interesting indeed. Its the first time I've followed a structured marathon plan, which is a bit mad if you knew more about my background.

But the thing is, there is a gulf of 18 months+ worth of Injury and Illness between that background and the start of this plan. I broke a few bones falling off a mountain bike which took some rehab after my teammates dragged me (willingly!) through a long adventure race 6 weeks later. Tried to get fit in 2017 only to get pretty ill (enough to change my outlook on life), learned to manage it and got better. I started to get fit again during those 2 glorious sunny months of summer last year but tore my hamstring. That sucked. What sucked more was tearing my glute during the rehab! By winter I started running again to build a base fitness but an illness lead to severe asthma attacks, enough to tear an intercostal muscle, seriously! :rolleyes:

In 2016 I was fit before the wheels came off, figuratively and literally. 2017 and most of 2018 were write offs. So, in a very waffly way, I'm very interested to see how this pans out too! Hopefully the training translates to a decent performance and something positive that I can build upon. Its probably the first time since I did my first marathon in 2008 (DCM 3:33 eating melting mars bars as fuel) that I give the marathon the respect it needs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Thanks V. I suppose I will when I get it, sure why not! Interesting indeed. Its the first time I've followed a structured marathon plan, which is a bit mad if you knew more about my background.

But the thing is, there is a gulf of 18 months+ worth of Injury and Illness between that background and the start of this plan. I broke a few bones falling off a mountain bike which took some rehab after my teammates dragged me (willingly!) through a long adventure race 6 weeks later. Tried to get fit in 2017 only to get pretty ill (enough to change my outlook on life), learned to manage it and got better. I started to get fit again during those 2 glorious sunny months of summer last year but tore my hamstring. That sucked. What sucked more was tearing my glute during the rehab! By winter I started running again to build a base fitness but an illness lead to severe asthma attacks, enough to tear an intercostal muscle, seriously! :rolleyes:

In 2016 I was fit before the wheels came off, figuratively and literally. 2017 and most of 2018 were write offs. So, in a very waffly way, I'm very interested to see how this pans out too! Hopefully the training translates to a decent performance and something positive that I can build upon. Its probably the first time since I did my first marathon in 2008 (DCM 3:33 eating melting mars bars as fuel) that I give the marathon the respect it needs :)

Jeez, you haven't had it easy the last couple of years alright. First time following a structured plan but you ran a 3.33 debut :eek:

You definitely deserve a good day! It will be a great comeback story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Jeez, you haven't had it easy the last couple of years alright. First time following a structured plan but you ran a 3.33 debut :eek:

He also has a 3:01 or very close that was a training run in the lead up to Roth :cool:

Best of luck Sunday Mike. Great to see you back training consistently. Long may it last.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday Mike, it’s been a real pleasure following and reading about your training. I hope all goes to plan for you and look forward to reading all about it after, run well man!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday Mike, it’s been a real pleasure following and reading about your training. I hope all goes to plan for you and look forward to reading all about it after, run well man!!

Absolutely agree. It'll be weird with all those people running your route but suppose good to have some company at times :D

Have a great race and all the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Have a great run - and get there on time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great weekend! :D

Thanks V - its been inspirational to read your log and I'm genuinely happy to be back amongst the Boards running community. Hope to meet some of you "new" peeps in person at some stage
    pgibbo wrote: »
    He also has a 3:01 or very close that was a training run in the lead up to Roth :cool:

Best of luck Sunday Mike. Great to see you back training consistently. Long may it last
    P.
    Thanks Paul for bringing up the memories of my best marathon to date :) That seems like a different life now but hopefully I'll run close or better again soon
    Cheers B, always so positive and your own log is a hoot to follow!
    RayCun wrote: »
    Have a great run - and get there on time! :)
    Thanks Ray for bringing up the memories of my worst marathon to date! :rolleyes::D A 2hr40.... positive split! Yeeouch
    Singer wrote: »
    Have a great weekend! :D
    Cheers dude. You gave me sound advice on my very first speed session on the plan (the 12x400) and the concentration and control in that session set the tone for whole plan
    pac_man wrote: »
    Have really enjoyed reading your log. Best of luck at the weekend.
    Cheers! Its just the beginning of the log :)

Last few runs on the plan

Thursday 2 May
    Plan: Easy 6m
    Actual: Easy 6.07m @7:48

Simple easy miles out the countryside in a cold wind brrrr. The body felt creaky and lazy. As I warmed up I felt better and the pace improved for the same effort.

Friday 3 May
    Plan: Easy 6m
    Actual: 6.12m as 10min Easy, 10min MP, 5min Easy, 5x200m strides, 10m Easy

I jogged down to the start line, kicked about a few dynamic stretches and ran the first 10min of the route at MP. I felt great, really great. In fact MP felt better than easy slow running! I had to pull the reins back several times but I had a tailwind too on the long Hyde Road so all relative. Bringing it back to easy actually tightened my hamstring a little. On the strides I just accelerated to MP and held it for 45 secs 5 times with a minute easy. I finished the run feeling better than I started and ready to get onto the carbs!!

I was feeling a bit nervous during the week but rather calm today. I've reasoned with myself. I've pushed through all kinds of pain in events before and I just have to tap into that when it gets tough. I also just have to manage the effort, hydration, electrolytes and gels to minimize the risk if cramp. My running buddy is nervous enough for the both of us. He is aiming for a 3:05 for a PB. We both have the training done and at the paces to suggest that is on. His LRs are a bit traditionally longer though with a longest of 21m and longest MP of 13m. He also has a more recent base (3:10 last year). Under the Hansons plan my longest was 18m and longest MP was 10m but I did more midweek MP running overall.

I have a plan in my head with a couple of scenarios. I feel good and the weather looks to be perfect. Busy morning tomorrow as Caz is working. I have to bring the kids to their morning activities and then drag them over to the expo. 50/50 excited/nervous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck, hope all goes to plan for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best - rooting for ya! Run well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Good luck tomorrow man.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow man.

Any bib no for you J? Same for yourself M?

OOnegative wrote:

Expo 11am to 5pm today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Enjoyed following your log. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

It will be just before 5,when I get to collect mine,b.I will stick up my number then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of running tomorrow. I hope you get the result your training deserves.

Saturday 4 May
    Plan: Don't walk under ladders or cross black cats
    Actual: 3m easy this morning before breakfast.
    Just sticking to the plan.

My right achilles tighter than usual getting out of bed but loosened within a mile. Just had meatballs and fusilli with a big bowl of homemade apple and berry crumble. Just so happens the kids favourite dinner is great marathon fuel!

I didn't hang around the expo. The kids and Daddy already had a long morning. Bib #1408 since there were a couple of requests. It's been a while since I've worn one of these.

Thanks for the good wishes and positive vibes folks, the most consistent thing on this forum since the early days of Krusty aiming for a sub 40 10k. You are awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant run today. You paced it so consistently with a nice little negative split. Now you'll need a new target for DCM!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great running, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Some run! Another Hanson success story. Congrats!

Sub3 Baby!!!! Woop! Nearly went out the back door at mile 24 but pitched a tent in the don't give up tent. Delighted!

Sub3 Baby!!!! Woop! Nearly went out the back door at mile 24 but pitched a tent in the don't give up tent. Delighted!

Great running man, delighted for you. Enjoy those sub 3 pints, have heard they taste sweeter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Brilliant run man. Absolutely delighted for you.......

Advertisement