Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any gunsmiths around?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Looking for a gunsmith around Leinster region.
    A lot of gun dealers about but very few gunsmiths.
    Can anyone point me in right direction. In need of a gunsmith ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Not being nosey (am a bit) whats the issue, it may be solvable with out the need of a 'smith'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Not being nosey (am a bit) whats the issue, it may be solvable with out the need of a 'smith'?

Not nosey at all man. Should’ve explained. Anyway The barrel on my gun has become loose and it was the cause of the bolt not locking into place. So I need a tool to lock it back in place. Because the headspace for the bullet and barrel could be well off and it’ll be dangerous to shoot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You seem to be having buckets of fun with that rifle. Were you not the one that had issues with it before?

As for the barrel coming loose. They are torqued to pretty high amounts so its surprising it came loose. I definitely wouldn't try shooting it until you get it checked and sorted. As you said the headspace will be off and coming from personal experience you don't want to try firing with that. I did, without knowing the headspace of the new barrel was not properly set.

Fun times:

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

John Murphy Rifles in Portlaoise. He'll get you sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Is the rifle even worth anymore hassle, can you not go back to the main dealer?

• Advertisement

Is the rifle even worth anymore hassle, can you not go back to the main dealer?

I paid a good amount of money for this rifle man. And I’ve hardly used it.
    When it fires it’s a pleasure to shoot. Really don’t want to give up on it.

Cass wrote: »
    You seem to be having buckets of fun with that rifle. Were you not the one that had issues with it before?

As for the barrel coming loose. They are torqued to pretty high amounts so its surprising it came loose. I definitely wouldn't try shooting it until you get it checked and sorted. As you said the headspace will be off and coming from personal experience you don't want to try firing with that. I did, without knowing the headspace of the new barrel was not properly set.

Fun times:

Correct. Same rifle. Really don’t want to give up on it. Saved for a good while to get it. Hardly shot it.
    I’ll give lads in portlaoise a call

Cass wrote: »
    John Murphy Rifles in Portlaoise. He'll get you sorted.

Gave John a phone call. He didn’t answer first 3 times and then rang back.
    What an absolute gentleman. He asked plenty of questions about the gun and he knew what he will have to do to fix it. He also determined the cheap ammo I used on it first was a serious addition to the problem as they weren’t brass case ammo. So cheap ammo is gonna cost me in the long run. I’ll be sticking to Remington boat tail when it’s up and running. But he reassured me that he can definitely fix it for me. He also offered to come to me with some gauges to double check that it is definitely head clearance problem.
    So next week he is working Dublin area so he said he will meet up with me and inspect it before giving diagnosis. But once he knows exactly the problem he will take it and assured me that it will be as good as new when I get it back.
    So thank you cass for the recommendation. An absolute gentleman to deal with. And a upgrade from other lads I’ve had look at the gun bar 1 lad.
    Thanks again.
    Will keep this updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bordglas

+1 For John Murphy.

Update
    John collected the rifle today and put the gauges in it. Confirmed on the spot that it’s a head space issue and assured me I’ll have it back working order on Monday.
    Really decent bloke. Can’t thank him enough. Been through hell with it trying to get it repaired for near two years.

• Advertisement

So after John toon the rifle he sorted out the headspace problem but we were met with another issue. Rust! Inside the barrel was bad with it. Really bad with it. Looking like another new barrel job. Obviously the person I let it with for year and a half clearly did not keep my barrel in a dry area. Made sense when I received my gun back off him in a different case and my gun belt and scope covers missing. But that’s another issue.
    Anyway John cleaned it out with bore cleaner and few other things and he took the gun out yesterday. Fired few rounds through it at 100 yards missing the centre by 1/4 inch which isn’t bad considering I’ve had the gun stripped etc and not fired for over 2 years. So I look forward to collecting it on Monday and start nailing some foxes soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

So after John toon the rifle he sorted out the headspace problem but we were met with another issue. Rust! Inside the barrel was bad with it. Really bad with it. Looking like another new barrel job. Obviously the person I let it with for year and a half clearly did not keep my barrel in a dry area. Made sense when I received my gun back off him in a different case and my gun belt and scope covers missing. But that’s another issue.
    Anyway John cleaned it out with bore cleaner and few other things and he took the gun out yesterday. Fired few rounds through it at 100 yards missing the centre by 1/4 inch which isn’t bad considering I’ve had the gun stripped etc and not fired for over 2 years. So I look forward to collecting it on Monday and start nailing some foxes soon.

Good to hear you got it back and get to use it again. But there does come a point when its just good money after bad, personally I would get it useable and trade it or just shoot the life out of it.

Heading out in half hour to try some new land with a lot of foxes apparently so first time to shoot it since repaired.
    Will update later to let you all know how it turned out. Will take 3 shots to sight it in first. Then hour or so rambling about.

Just back. The gun is well off. Put 7 through it. Fires perfect. Ejects the empties perfect.
    Just sight is off. So it’s sighted now but had to go home. Another time.

Just back from an hours shooting. Seen three foxes. Managed to get one despite missing the first shot he sat again for the other. Calmed my breathing and dropped him through the skull. Not bad at over hundred yards
    Beginning to remember why I thought it was worth getting this gun fixed. Now I remember. It is a great gun to shoot.
    Managed a Mixxy rabbit at over two hundred yards aswell. Knew it was a Mixxy as I’d walked past him when I first got out and he was still in same spot eating so gave it a challenge.
    Anyway. Gun is fixed so hopefully I won’t have to ask if anyone can fix it again
    Thanks lads.

Advertisement