Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know More About Your Elves - #6 Baby and Crumble

• 29-04-2019 2:47pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Admittedly this is a week later than planned, as I had a couple of days off last week with Easter that I completely forgot and then decided to leave it until Monday to keep in sync.

So Easter has come and gone, the May Bank holiday is upon us and Summer is around the corner!

This week we are joined by the wonderful and one of the Christmas Forums' OG members, Baby and Crumble.

So lets kick off! :)

1) Favorite Movie of all time?
    2) Favourite Bank Holiday?
    3) Chocolate for Breakfast? Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Loughc wrote: »

This week we are joined by the wonderful and one of the Christmas Forums' OG members, Baby and Crumble.

giphy.gif

1) Favorite Movie of all time?

Oh nice and easy to start, like!

It's really really hard to pick one but I suppose if I could only ever watch one movie for the rest of my entire life it'd be Dirty Dancing. THE ORIGINAL not that shambles remake that came out in 2017. :mad:
    2) Favourite Bank Holiday?

Is this a trick question? CHRISTMAS! But otherwise I have a soft spot for the August Bank Holiday.
    3) Chocolate for Breakfast? Yay or Nay?

Again, trick question? Yes. I try not to but have you TASTED Coco Pops???!!???!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Start with my bog standard ones...

what did you want to be when you grew up (job wise) and how close to did you come to achieving it?

&

What are your Top 5 desert Island discs?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Hey B&C

What is your earliest memory?

If you could ban one word from the English language what would it be?

DvB wrote: »
    what did you want to be when you grew up (job wise) and how close to did you come to achieving it?

Hmm, the first thing I really remember wanting to be was an archaeologist.

I currently work in social policy development and research. So not terribly close! But I suppose it's very much in the 'find out stuff' vein, so maybe...
    What are your Top 5 desert Island discs?

I can never remember is this albums or songs? Feck it, we're going albums. :p

1) Night Rains - Janis Ian (1979)

51KP9MM2H8L._SY355_.jpg

2) The Dirty Dancing Soundtrack (1987)

220px-Drtydancingsoundtrack.jpg

3) 1989 - Taylor Swift (2014)

220px-Taylor_Swift_-_1989.png

4) Yes I Am - Melissa Etheridge (1993)

Melissa_Etheridge_-_Yes_I_Am.jpg

5) Living In Clip - Ani DiFranco (1997)

Ani_DiFranco_-_Living_in_Clip.jpg

You may have gathered from this list of music that I am a gay lady of a very specific vintage :pac::pac::pac::pac:

kitten_k wrote: »

What is your earliest memory?

My first day at school. I remember I had a yellow leather sachel that I was IN LOVE with, and I had my hair in bunches. My teacher leaned in to say hello to me and she had slightly smelly coffee breath and I cried. Not because I was upset going to school (I couldn't wait!) but because of her coffee breath. To this day I HATE coffee breath. :pac:
    kitten_k wrote: »
    If you could ban one word from the English language what would it be?

Ok, I hate even typing it, but the word 'retard' or 'retarded'. It's so hurtful and it has no place in society. I have lots of friends and family members with disabilities and extra needs that have just been cut to pieces by people using the word really casually, like it's nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hi Baby and Crumble !
    Here my questions :

- Which food recipe you are a whiz at ?
    - Have you ever passed on a skill to someone else (sewing, driving...) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I have always wanted to know where your username came from??:)

otnomart wrote: »
    Which food recipe you are a whiz at ?

I LOVE cooking and I cook quite a bit from memory. I make a really mean lasagne from scratch (if I say so myself!) but the best thing I make is probably my pancakes. I know, super simple but I was the only one allowed make them at home when I was a teenager. I went to boarding school and without fail every time I was home my Mam would make me make them at like, 11pm on the Saturday :pac:
    otnomart wrote: »
    Have you ever passed on a skill to someone else (sewing, driving...) ?

I have taught a few of my friends my hand sewing patchwork technique actually! I learned it from my great-aunt who was an amazing craftswoman. The technique I use is called English paper piercing and its so much fun.

This is what it ends up like (this isn't one of mine btw I just googled it!)

patchgrandflgarden.jpg

jellybear wrote: »
    I have always wanted to know where your username came from??:)

It's a really random story to be honest. I was in The Bank on College Green having lunch with some friends years ago and the 2 course special was roast baby chicken (I still don't know why they called it that tbh) and a rhubarb crumble. Everyone was ordering it as we went around the table

"the baby chicken and the rhubarb crumble please" etc etc.

When it got to me I said "the baby and crumble please" without really thinking.

When I went to change my username a few days later I was still giggling about the look on the waitress' face and so... here we are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Howdy, B&C. firstly out of those desert island discs I have only heard of dirty dancing. I blame this on having limited music growing up.

What would be your perfect two week holiday, as in you've won the lotto type?

*I use, and read from others, the word retard, as a verb quite often, in work as it is a defined term in my line of work to describe 'to delay or hold back in terms of progress or development, or to be delayed'. Nothing to do with a person, just its actual meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Hi baby and crumble :)

Have you a fave Melissa Ethridge song?
    What was the last concert you went to?
    What is your fave style of clothes?

Must google English paper piercing :) looks lovely.
    Thanks!

Only knew 3 of the albums I must admit!!

Anyhoo... few more questions...

What is your favourite alcoholic beverage?
    Favourite cake?
    Favourite smell?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hi B&C

Loving the answers so far.

My usual ones........

What four people (dead or alive) would you most like to have dinner with and why?

Favourite place you have been on holidays?

ps. does anyone else think of what their answers will be to the questions when reading them or is it just me??

Jude13 wrote: »
    Howdy, B&C. firstly out of those desert island discs I have only heard of dirty dancing. I blame this on having limited music growing up.

Or you weren't obsessed with finding out everything about 90's queer culture in small town Ireland! :p

Surprised about not knowing Taylor Swift though!! :eek::eek::eek:
    What would be your perfect two week holiday, as in you've won the lotto type?

Probably 2 weeks on a boat somewhere warm but not super hot. My own private yacht with staff to cater to my every whim. Go island hopping during the day and go places in the evening you have to get into a tuxedo for. Basically a James Bond movie without any violence or intrigue! :P

*I use, and read from others, the word retard, as a verb quite often, in work as it is a defined term in my line of work to describe 'to delay or hold back in terms of progress or development, or to be delayed'. Nothing to do with a person, just its actual meaning.

Of course I understand that usage from a technical point of view. it's when it's used about humans or human behaviour that I shudder. When people use it as shorthand for 'stupid' or even worse, 'drunk'.

Yeah, Black Eyed Peas I'm looking at you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^ I know of taylor swift actually, though I thought she was just a famous person, not a singer...I need to get out more.

Boat would be lovely, once it has AC and is a sailboat.

Get you on the term of use. Never heard it used for drunk.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Hi baby and crumble :) !

Hello! :)
    Have you a fave Melissa Ethridge song?!

Oooooh... Probably Come to my Window. I have some great memories attached to that song :)

What was the last concert you went to?!

Oh gosh, actual concert... I had tickets to go see Christine & The Queens in November but they cancelled. I think the last concert I went to (as opposed to 'show') was Taylor Swift in Croke Park last summer.
    What is your fave style of clothes?!

I dress pretty much exclusively in masculine clothes - I love classic mens tailoring and honestly nothing makes me feel better or more confident that wearing an outfit with a bowtie in it! I know, slightly nerdy but I love them. My wife and I go to a fair amount of vintage events so it works well. I'm a big BIG fan of black tie, I love wearing a tuxedo. I love getting dressed up. Love it. :)

Only knew 3 of the albums I must admit!!

Consider it an education so ;)
    What is your favourite alcoholic beverage?

Whiskey. I mostly drink scotch neat but I do love a good cocktail. A good Old Fashioned is my favourite.
    cake?

I am not allowed buy battenburg cake anymore as i will eat the ENTIRE thing in one sitting. :pac:
    smell?

I love the smell of a forest after it's rained. Especially when it's been really warm and when the greenery gets wet it lets off like an ozone kinda smell (maybe it is ozone, I dunno).

TRS30 wrote: »
    Hi B&C

Loving the answers so far.

Yay! I am legit having the best fun doing this! :pac::pac:
    What four people (dead or alive) would you most like to have dinner with and why?

1) My Mum. She passed away 10 years ago this year and it's crazy to me that's been that long. She's missed so much in all our lives; when she died all of her kids were in relationships but we've all since married our then girlfriends, we've all settled into careers (which we were all struggling with when she passed away), we've all bought houses and she has a grandson now. I'd like to talk to her again.

2) Tom Ford. He's my absolute favourite designer and I would love love LOVE to talk to him about style, cinema all that.

3) Enid Blyton. She was my favourite author growing up and although she was apparently a total wagon I'd love to pick her brains about writing and the worlds she created for children.

4) Natasha Lyonne. She's the creator of Russian Doll on Netflix (also plays the main character) and I've loved her work in movies and TV since I was aout 17 and first saw her in a little lesbian movie called 'But I'm a Cheerleader'. I think she has an incredible life story and she seems incredibly smart and interesting. I think she'd be fun to talk to for an evening.

place you have been on holidays?

It's not one place, but we went on a cruise for our honeymoon around the coast of Norway, up into the arctic circle in December. It was so so cold but legitimately the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen in my life. Dog sledding in the arctic circle in the pitch black at 2pm in the afternoon was a hell of an experience too.
    . does anyone else think of what their answers will be to the questions when reading them or is it just me??

Why do you think I volunteered for this? :p

Who would you like to play your part in a movie of your life?

Favourite TV show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yay! I am legit having the best fun doing this! :pac::pac:

1) My Mum. She passed away 10 years ago this year and it's crazy to me that's been that long. She's missed so much in all our lives; when she died all of her kids were in relationships but we've all since married our then girlfriends, we've all settled into careers (which we were all struggling with when she passed away), we've all bought houses and she has a grandson now. I'd like to talk to her again.

I'm not crying, I just have something in my eye.

I'm sure she is looking down on you all and is very proud of what you have all achieved and the people you have become.

• Advertisement

Who would you like to play your part in a movie of your life?

It would probably need to be either Hannah Gadsby (if you don't know her please watch her comedy special on Netflix called 'Nanette' it's INCREDIBLE) or Lea DeLaria (Big Boo from Orange is Te New Black).

Let's just say we all share a certain aesthetic :pac::pac::pac:
    TV show?

That is a really hard question. I love the Great British Bake Off and Ru Pauls Drag Race as shows I can have on in the background when I'm doing bits in the house etc. But most recently my two favourites are Russian Doll on Netflix and Derry Girls.

I'm not crying, I just have something in my eye.

I'm sure she is looking down on you all and is very proud of what you have all achieved and the people you have become.

Thank you. I hope so. :)

It's a really random story to be honest. I was in The Bank on College Green having lunch with some friends years ago and the 2 course special was roast baby chicken (I still don't know why they called it that tbh) and a rhubarb crumble. Everyone was ordering it as we went around the table "the baby chicken and the rhubarb crumble please" etc etc.

When it got to me I said "the baby and crumble please" without really thinking.

So it was a good thing you didn't order Haggis and Clafoutis :D

A few more questions if that's ok... your replies are great btw :)

Do you like writing? Would you ever blog about fashion?
    Anything on the ol' bucket list you'd like to do, but haven't had the chance yet?

p.s. adore ethridge songs like come to my window!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What is your favorite shop?

What is your favorite colour?

So it was a good thing you didn't order Haggis and Clafoutis :D

A few more questions if that's ok... your replies are great btw :)

Or neeps and tatties! :p
    Do you like writing? Would you ever blog about fashion?

I really like writing. I write a lot for work and for college and I enjoy it (mostly :P) I did have a style blog for a while but I could never really commit to it. Now I just live my life via Instagram :pac:
    Anything on the ol' bucket list you'd like to do, but haven't had the chance yet?

Oh God yeah. Getting my PhD is probably top of the list but I'm nearly halfway through that. I have a fairly extensive list, actually - and got to tick a few off in the last couple of years which has been cool. Riding in a hot air balloon and seeing the Greenbay Packers play a home game at Lambeau Field (American football) is a BIG one.
    p.s. adore ethridge songs like come to my window!

Yay! I saw her live in the Olympia a few years back. Great gig.

What is your favorite shop?

I buy 99% of my non clothing items on Amazon tbh. I have free Prime because of college and it is SO dangerous.

Clothes-wise I buy most of my stuff on Burtons online actually. It's difficult for me to get clothes in the style I like in sizes that fit me in regular shops here. I've found Burtons to be a great fit with my style and body shape in the last 2 years or so. Plus I can't be arsed actually trawling through shops anymore. The only exception I'll make to that is vintage shopping. I don't get much except accessories and jewelry but I love a good dig around.
    What is your favorite colour?

Orange. I can't wear it as it makes me look really ill if it's next to my skin but as an accent or for just 'stuff' - omg I love it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

All your answers are so interesting!

My question/s is/are if you won the Euromillions, who (if anyone) would you tell and what would be the first thing you’d buy?

Toots wrote: »
    All your answers are so interesting!

My question/s is/are if you won the Euromillions, who (if anyone) would you tell and what would be the first thing you’d buy?

Aww, thanks Toots! :)

I'd tell my wife, and probably only her until we got plan together.

The very first thing I'd buy... probably a weeks holidays somewhere not too mad of a location so as not to have people going "oooh must've won the lotto!" but in a really nice resort/ hotel / fancy staffed private house. Maybe somewhere like Southern France. Then sit down with my wife and plan everything, so when we come home we know what we're at.

I mean I have a whooooole plan of stuff for when I win the lotto (ALL THE CUSTOM CLOTHES!!!), but you did ask for the very first thing. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

seeing the Greenbay Packers play a home game at Lambeau Field (American football) is a BIG one.

Would love to see them play at Lambeau Field myself!!

• Advertisement

Do you own a cheesehead hat? (for the Packers game) :D

Advertisement