Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drunken G***hite on Train

• 28-04-2019 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

As the title suggests, I was on the 15:10 to Waterford yesterday from Heuston and this drunk man in his fifties sat beside me. He smelt like he hadn't showered in weeks.

He eventually left me and started talking to teenage girls and young mothers with their kids, the kids looked genuinely terrified.

Eventually the staff were alerted and he was removed.

How often does this happen every week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

JackTC wrote: »
    As the title suggests, I was on the 15:10 to Waterford yesterday from Heuston and this drunk man in his fifties sat beside me. He smelt like he hadn't showered in weeks.

He eventually left me and started talking to teenage girls and young mothers with their kids, the kids looked genuinely terrified.

Eventually the staff were alerted and he was removed.

How often does this happen every week?

I'm surprised they did anything as this isn't just on the trains.

There is a guy travelling along N11 to leeson at that's never washed and his rear trousers have worn away so his bare arse is showing including the pee and sh1t all over him.

He isn't homeless either.

He is been allowed travel.

There is an old man with a sports bag in the city area whom I will no longer carry the last time he was on he was perching on a very young school girl while grunting and the wack off him was unbearable so I wasn't carrying him anyway but other drivers would.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Are they still serving alcohol on trains these days? If so, that won't help.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Some are dry trains at certain times. This includes bringing your own but hard to enforce if no staff or not in alcohol bottle etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's ridiculous that they ever stopped. Clamp down on the troublemakers instead of taking he choice from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm surprised they did anything as this isn't just on the trains.

There is a guy travelling along N11 to leeson at that's never washed and his rear trousers have worn away so his bare arse is showing including the pee and sh1t all over him.

He isn't homeless either.

He is been allowed travel.

There is an old man with a sports bag in the city area whom I will no longer carry the last time he was on he was perching on a very young school girl while grunting and the wack off him was unbearable so I wasn't carrying him anyway but other drivers would.

He was what?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    He was what?

Perving don't know what happened there...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Perving don't know what happened there...

Ah lol of course

Should have seen what I was imagining..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Dublin waterford train is dry due to the people heading to Kilkenny

The trains to Westport or Carrick-on-Shannon are not though it never bothered me. Even if they didn't serve alcohol most people bring their own

I've often had a few cans for myself from Athlone Dublin after a few hours on the greenway. Guilt free after the exercise :D

It's ridiculous that they ever stopped. Clamp down on the troublemakers instead of taking he choice from everyone.

Or we could realise that the Irish obsession with alcohol doesn't really mix with trains

Bunch of drunken eejits (or even just the one) and the entire journey can become an uncomfortable mess for everyone else.

Or we could realise that the Irish obsession with alcohol doesn't really mix with trains

Bunch of drunken eejits (or even just the one) and the entire journey can become an uncomfortable mess for everyone else.

Irish obsession with alcohol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Go and lie down Helen Lovejoy.

• Advertisement

Irish obsession with alcohol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Go and lie down Helen Lovejoy.

And with that response you prove my point for me - "waaah!! I want to be able to drink anywhere I want! Nevermind the effect on other paying customers who may just want to get home if one of my fellow drinkers can't behave! waah!"

Childish, selfish and wholly Irish when it comes to attitudes to alcohol.

I like a drink now and then myself, but there's a time and place for it - and a train with a wide variety of age groups, opinions on said subject, and nowhere for anyone to go is not it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Helen Lovejoy here.

Last year I took my two sons on the Westport-Dublin train. A group of about 15 men mostly in their 40's and 50's were in the same carriage. They were drunk, and roared all the way to biffoland in the most sexually explicit language I had ever heard. They leered at and propositioned teenage girls as they walked down the carriage, and referred to a lady who asked them to tone it down, as a c#*t.

When they got off the train, I told one of them that they were a disgrace, and I was roared at that I also was a C*+T. It was my son's seventh birthday that day. My other child was 3.
    The train was full so I needed the seats btw. Asked the guy selling coffee to alert an inspector (there was none), and they made fun of him too.

Perhaps you were one of those gentlemen Mr Brennan?

And with that response you prove my point for me - "waaah!! I want to be able to drink anywhere I want! Nevermind the effect on other paying customers who may just want to get home if one of my fellow drinkers can't behave! waah!"

I like a drink now and then myself, but there's a time and place for it - and a train with a wide variety of age groups, opinions on said subject, and nowhere for anyone to go is not it.

If bye laws were implemented and people were actually held accountable for their actions the world would be a better place.

Unfortunately those who get everything for free end up causing the most trouble I find.

Hens and stags of course can be a pain also.

I know you feel ever so modern and progressive pedaling that rubbish, but "Irish attitudes" my hole. Some people can drink fine and some can't. Come down hard on those that can't in every instance, not just on trains. People drink the world over and it's the same story, some can and some can't.

I know you feel ever so modern and progressive pedaling that rubbish, but "Irish attitudes" my hole. Some people can drink fine and some can't. Come down hard on those that can't in every instance, not just on trains. People drink the world over and it's the same story, some can and some can't.

Or just wait for your pint till you get to where you're going? Country isn't THAT big!

I LOL'd at the "modern and progressive" stuff though. Far from it - I just have a bit of respect and consideration for others when it comes to my behaviour.

Helen Lovejoy here.

Last year I took my two sons on the Westport-Dublin train. A group of about 15 men mostly in their 40's and 50's were in the same carriage. They were drunk, and roared all the way to biffoland in the most sexually explicit language I had ever heard. They leered at and propositioned teenage girls as they walked down the carriage, and referred to a lady who asked them to tone it down, as a c#*t.

When they got off the train, I told one of them that they were a disgrace, and I was roared at that I also was a C*+T. It was my son's seventh birthday that day. My other child was 3.
    The train was full so I needed the seats btw. Asked the guy selling coffee to alert an inspector (there was none), and they made fun of him too.

Perhaps you were one of those gentlemen Mr Brennan?

And they should be come down hard upon, but once you start rounding up everyone and tarring them with the same brush you're on a dangerous path.

I won't even gratify your swill in the final sentence of your post with a reply.

Or just wait for your pint till you get to where you're going? Country isn't THAT big!

I LOL'd at the "modern and progressive" stuff though. Far from it - I just have a bit of respect and consideration for others when it comes to my behaviour.

You're still not able to wrap your mind around what I'm saying. Not every person who drinks alcohol is lacking respect and consideration to others. That's why I take issue with you up on your high horse trying to paint the whole country out to be a bunch of troublemaking alcoholics when it's all really down to individual people.

And they should be come down hard upon, but once you start rounding up everyone and tarring them with the same brush you're on a dangerous path.

I won't even gratify your swill in the final sentence of your post with a reply.

My "swill" requires no gratification from you, and you clearly missed the point, so I'll be more direct.
    Everyone who drinks to excess thinks they can handle it responsibly. K hun?

You're still not able to wrap your mind around what I'm saying. Not every person who drinks alcohol is lacking respect and consideration to others. That's why I take issue with you up on your high horse trying to paint the whole country out to be a bunch of troublemaking alcoholics when it's all really down to individual people.

And YOU are not getting my point either - childish insults don't help your argument either incidentally.

It's an Intercity train. Limited stops, nowhere to go in between, and just ONE drunken muppet can affect everyone in that carriage

If you can't survive for a few hours (at most!) without a drink so as to save a train load of people that hassle, then I suggest it's not me with the problem.

Time and place as I said before.

My "swill" requires no gratification from you, and you clearly missed the point, so I'll be more direct.

Not everyone that drinks does it to excess. I've no time for your text speak goading either you vile individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

People may take your point if you were not so patronising

And YOU are not getting my point either

It's an Intercity train. Limited stops, nowhere to go in between, and just ONE drunken muppet can affect everyone in that carriage

If you can't survive for a few hours (at most!) without a drink so as to save a train load of people that hassle, then I suggest it's not me with the problem.

Time and place as I said before.

And that problem should be nipped in the bud properly by having enforcement there and having them dragged off the train at the first available opportunity and banned from using the service from there on. That's how you make people responsible for their OWN actions.

And that problem should be nipped in the bud properly by having enforcement there and having them dragged off the train at the first available opportunity and banned from using the service from there on.

And that's grand in theory - hell I even agree - but it's not what happens, is it?

Therefore more wide-sweeping solutions are needed

And that's grand in theory - hell I even agree - but it's not what happens, is it?

Therefore more wide-sweeping solutions are needed

That's a massive problem in all avenues of life though and allowing it on transport is just another one on the list of the path it's all heading down. Ban everything and make nobody responsible for anything any they do more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,270 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The contents of what other passengers are drinking are none of your business. If they are being rude or disruptive to other passengers that's different but I find that often has nothing to do with alcohol, or indeed alcohol consumed in a specific location.

That's a massive problem in all avenues of life though and allowing it on transport is just another one on the list of the path it's all heading down. Ban everything and make nobody responsible for anything any they do more.

Leaving those wider issues aside (and you do have a point in that regard), I guess it comes down to how much one values their "right to a pint"

Personally I don't see it as such a massive inconvenience that I'd be willing to subject others (or myself) to the antics of a drunk as 2 posters have described here. It's a trivial price to pay for a more relaxing, hassle-free journey.

There are battles worth fighting in the arena of personal accountability. This is not one of them.

Not everyone that drinks does it to excess. I've no time for your text speak goading either you vile individual.

I'm not vile at all. I'm actually sound. And won't insult you back, and yes, will admit to a little goading. But what a reaction. You are very tough.

Leaving those wider issues aside (and you do have a point in that regard), I guess it comes down to how much one values their "right to a pint"

Personally I don't see it as such a massive inconvenience that I'd be willing to subject others (or myself) to the antics of a drunk as 2 posters have described here. It's a trivial price to pay for a more relaxing, hassle-free journey.

There are battles worth fighting in the arena of personal accountability. This is not one of them.

You probably have a point on that too (and I wouldn't have much interest in a warm can of beer on a train personally anyway), but I just don't like to see it happen in any situation. It's becoming far too common, not just with alcohol either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There's too much bickering going on here and I don't know if there was a real point to the thread in the first place.

Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement