Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting from Newbridge/Naas to Dublin

Options
  • 28-04-2019 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Howdy Locals!

I am planning to buy a house in Kildare. Naas, Newbridge or even Kildare town. I wonder, how much is the cost to commute daily from those locations to Dublin as there is no information on it that is fresh.

Also, how fast does it bring you to Conoly station, as google maps shows too many different times ?

Also, is it even sustainable in the long run?

Maybe you have experienced these commutes and have some advise?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Assume by train? Sallins will be cheapest as its in leap zone however house prices will be higher. The Connolly services only go as far as Newbridge and typically 50m to Connolly.

Thousands do it daily so yes should be sustainable however it depends on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

If commuting into the city try to get into North Kildare. So Naas/Sallins, Celbridge, Maynooth or Leixlip would be better.
    Only downer is that these areas have much higher house prices than Kildare Town or Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If by car you need a suitable diesel or even consider EV if things were suitable such as car type and whether charging is possible in work or not for example.

BMW i3 has a generator which would increase distance it can cover without plugging in.

You need to be looking at a good diesel otherwise and one that's going to be economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tonano

Yeah, the main focus would be on Train as it is the least stresfull and I wouldbe able to do some work during the commute. Google shows 30 minutes from Newbridge from 7AM on Monday. is it true?

Also, I would get an foldable bike so I could takehim on the train with me so i coulddrive either from Conolly or Heuston Train stations.

Also, does every town from Newbridge to Maynooth drives to Conolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

Before you buy, try the commute one morning and afternoon, and then decide if that is something you'd like to do 5 days a week for the foreseeable future. When you add travel time to/from stations, delays and waiting times, it might add up to something different than what it says in an Irish rail timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Tonano wrote: »
    Yeah, the main focus would be on Train as it is the least stresfull and I wouldbe able to do some work during the commute. Google shows 30 minutes from Newbridge from 7AM on Monday. is it true?

Also, I would get an foldable bike so I could takehim on the train with me so i coulddrive either from Conolly or Heuston Train stations.

Also, does every town from Newbridge to Maynooth drives to Conolly?

The train is less stressful? You're not a regular commuter so.

As for working on the train good luck finding a seat let alone a space for your laptop. You could of course take a foldable bike on the train but make sure not to injure people when you're squeezing past them onto the train with it.

I would advise you to take the morning and evening train to Kildare for a day just to see what commuting entails. Imagine doing this day in day out in warm summer weather and wet winter weather.

If you're not travelling from Sallins the annual commuter ticket takes a hefty chunk out of your salary even making allowances for Taxsaver.

Thousands commute, many not by choice and over the years it can take its toll on your physical and mental health not to mention eating hugely into your leisure time. It was a major contributing factor to me having to take time off work due to burnout a few years ago.

If you must, I would advise you to buy in Naas and commute from Sallins. Easier on the pocket by far and less time on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I've gotten a bunch of different Connolly trains in the mornings (7.20 and the 9.10 from Newbridge, 8.15 from Hazelhatch) and there's always a bunch of seats (even by the time the Newbridge trains get to Sallins or Hazelhatch). Always seats available on the 17.04, 18.03, 18.43 trains from Pearse to Hazelhatch too (5.30 is the only one that's usually jammers).

In my opinion, the commute is easy. I usually just fill it with doing work or listening to a podcast. It'd take around 50 mins to get to Connolly from Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tonano wrote: »
    Howdy Locals!

I am planning to buy a house in Kildare. Naas, Newbridge or even Kildare town. I wonder, how much is the cost to commute daily from those locations to Dublin as there is no information on it that is fresh.

Also, how fast does it bring you to Conoly station, as google maps shows too many different times ?

Also, is it even sustainable in the long run?

Maybe you have experienced these commutes and have some advise?

Why are you consulting google maps? Would you not just just consult the Irish Rail timetable to see the exact rail journey times for all the departures between any of those towns and Connolly each morning/evening? I work with many from the Kildare area and they commute daily by train into the IFSC from Maynooth, Newbridge, Kildare, Sallins etc - while they don't love it, it's considered bearable. If you are going beyond Kildare like some of my colleagues that commute from Portlaoise, Carlow, Edgewardstown etc... now that's soul destroying!

I know one girl who commutes from Newbridge and avoids the new direct rail link via Pheonix Park tunnel - she says she saves more time trekking up to Heuston by Luas or Dublin Bikes and getting a non stop 20-25 minute service from Heuston to Newbridge as the Phoenix Park tunnel service between Tara and Newbridge crawls and takes an hour.

If you are trying to time a car journey into Connolly, I'd say it would be crazy trying to face that traffic by car as streets within the canals increasingly are given over to public transport only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

OP where do you work - Docklands on the North side, near O Connell St, or Barrow St ? Providing some information may allow those here to provide some more context.

Advertisement