Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saving Private Ryan returning to cinemas.

Options
  • 26-04-2019 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭

For those that missed it the first time around, Saving Private Ryan will be returning to cinemas for a (very) limited run, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the June 6, 1944, landing of Allied forces in Normandy.

As far as I'm aware, it's only one viewing on that one day, so tickets will be limited if there's any real interest.

If you haven't seen it in the cinema, you absolutely owe it to yourself to do so, it's one of those cinematic experience films. The first 35 minutes or so absolutely blew me away back in the day. Had to sneak in with my aul lad and his mates.
    Went back to see it again two more times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Such a brilliant film, would love to see it the cinema. Is this america based though as its only being shown in 600 cinemas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No, there's showings in Vue and the IFI at least that I know of. Presumably others as well. I didn't post this until after I got my own tickets, so I know it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

No, there's showings in Vue and the IFI at least that I know of. Presumably others as well. I didn't post this until after I got my own tickets, so I know it's on.

Im galway based so must check my cinemas tomorrow. Cheers fella, such a superb film and one ive always wanted to see on the big screen with surround sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

For those that missed it the first time around, Saving Private Ryan will be returning to cinemas for a (very) limited run, to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the June 6, 1944, landing of Allied forces in Normandy.

As far as I'm aware, it's only one viewing on that one day, so tickets will be limited if there's any real interest.

If you haven't seen it in the cinema, you absolutely owe it to yourself to do so, it's one of those cinematic experience films. The first 35 minutes or so absolutely blew me away back in the day. Had to sneak in with my aul lad and his mates.
    Went back to see it again two more times.

I remember watching it in the cinema, I felt sick watching the opening battle.

As you say it’s a superb film and one for the big screen. Not sure I’d be chomping at the bit to watch it on big screen again as it was horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Over 20 years old and still there's not been another film that can touch the utter brutality and rawness of the combat scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Band of Brothers came a couple of years later and managed it too. Same guys made it.

The assault on Carentan is really brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Kirby wrote: »
    Band of Brothers came a couple of years later and managed it too. Same guys made it.

The assault on Carentan is really brutal.

Very True but that was a Mini-TV Series.

Edit: Out of Curiosity, Was Band of Brothers ever on the big screen as a special screening or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Watching it in the cinema and a mates sister said quite loudly as a tank came into view ‘I thought they blew up the tank’ she must have assumed the nazis had one tank. Great movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

salmocab wrote: »
    Watching it in the cinema and a mates sister said quite loudly as a tank came into view ‘I thought they blew up the tank’ she must have assumed the nazis had one tank. Great movie

The first time I saw it, a girl I was watching it with asked after the movie "So who actually won?" (she meant the war in general).

The first time I saw it, a girl I was watching it with asked after the movie "So who actually won?" (she meant the war in general).

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Over 20 years old and still there's not been another film that can touch the utter brutality and rawness of the combat scenes.

Ya...not that often I really praise sound effects, but the pinging of bullets off helmets in this is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Saving private Ryan is massively over rated
    Thin Red Line which came out around the same time was way better
    Yeah the d day landing was done well but most of the rest was muck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It's worth reading this blog post to get an insight into the tricks of sight and sound that give Saving Private Ryan its anti-German sensation.

https://nwioqeqkdf.blogspot.com/2016/11/killing-private-kraut-hollywoods-good.html

It's a more subtle form of the kind of anti-German propaganda that was used to fool Brits and Americans to go to war in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

By applying a 45 degree shutter (cinematographic technique), it achieves a certain staccato in actor’s movement. Including a certain 'crispiness of explosions'.

Everything becomes slightly, (just slightly) more realistic for action parts including the opening running scenes, where it was likely deployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

LastLagoon wrote: »
    Saving private Ryan is massively over rated
    Thin Red Line which came out around the same time was way better
    Yeah the d day landing was done well but most of the rest was muck

Very different film. One is an anti war film (ish) the other about one type of US experience at D-Day.

That is a very one side view point is neither here nor there.

Has there every been a good German movie about D-Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

It's worth reading this blog post to get an insight into the tricks of sight and sound that give Saving Private Ryan its anti-German sensation.

https://nwioqeqkdf.blogspot.com/2016/11/killing-private-kraut-hollywoods-good.html

It's a more subtle form of the kind of anti-German propaganda that was used to fool Brits and Americans to go to war in the first place.

I enjoyed the comment left just as much as the blog post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Fooled into thinking Germany was over running Europe.

It's a more subtle form of the kind of anti-German propaganda that was used to fool Brits and Americans to go to war in the first place....

The Anti war movement were as vocal as everyone else, especially in the US.

There would have been a lot of experience of WWI also. So it wasn't as one sided as you imply.

It could be argued that the lack of response and appetite for conflict emboldened Germany and Japan in their expansion plans in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can't for the life of me see why Irish cinemas should be showing this for an anniversary of D-Day.

Celebrate it as fantastic piece of cinema and an an excellent movie fine but D-Day anniversary celebrations are not really something I think we should be getting involved in.

Lot of Irish involved in it, and in fighting in many wars.

We seem to want to deny it.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-servicemen-airbrushed-out-of-history-says-dday-veteran-26221402.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Id have to agree with the post above.massively overrated. and bringing these movies back to the Cinema just smacks of lets make more money.most tvs and sound systems these days are big enough to let you experience it properly.unless you want to be actually shot or blown up !

Money is definitely part of it but people do have a choice.

Cinemas are struggling to survive. I still like the cinema, its more of an event.

https://fora.ie/odeon-ireland-new-cinemas-4269790-Oct2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

beauf wrote: »
    Cinemas are struggling to survive. I still like the cinema, its more of an event.

They'll likely have to become immersive VR-Arcades in the future, or diversify into expo meeting spaces, or even digital enterprise hotdesk incubators for the giggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

So anybody know which cimenas are showing. Searched Vue in adublin but it wasn't showing up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Killinator wrote: »
    So anybody know which cimenas are showing. Searched Vue in adublin but it wasn't showing up

It's definitely on in the Vue Dublin but there were only a few seats left when I checked, I think it's 6.45 showing

See if this works

https://www.myvue.com/cinema/dublin/film/saving-private-ryan-dday-75th-anniversary/times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Killinator

This is it wrote: »
    It's definitely on in the Vue Dublin but there were only a few seats left when I checked, I think it's 6.45 showing

See if this works

https://www.myvue.com/cinema/dublin/film/saving-private-ryan-dday-75th-anniversary/times
    Thanks, that worked, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

WTF?

A big load of alt-right nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The film did kickstart the trend of handheld, "shaky cam" action, and while the master can't be blamed for the imitators, I still hold a little bitterness for Spielberg introducing this often repeated and equally often nauseating technique.

I liked the little production story that (apparently) while all the rest of the cast had to do basic bootcamp for learning the military ropes, Matt Damon didn't, the intention supposedly being to help sell the resentment felt, having to trek behind enemy lines to rescue one soldier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Arghus wrote: »
    WTF?

A big load of alt-right nonsense.

Not really. Most of these war movies depict Germans as inhuman killers whereas allied soldiers are always firmly in the pure as driven snow hero category.

It didn't need such an article really. It's blatantly obvious. Hardly something I'd describe as subtle.

Advertisement