Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men In Black International

• 21-09-2018 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

First look at the the new MiB.

Thor and the Valkyrie are now the MiB, Agent H and Agent M London based agents.

Emma Thosmpson returns as Agent O and Liam Nesson as the head of London MiB.

Rebecca Ferguson also joins the cast.

https://twitter.com/chrishemsworth/status/1042841043081875457

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,800 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The reboot of Men In Black, which is led by Chris Hemsworth and his Thor: Ragnarok co-star Tessa Thompson, has been given a title.
    The film, which has been directed by F. Gary Gray is to be titled Men In Black International.

For the new reboot, the story will follow Hemsworth's Agent H and Thompson's Agent M. This time, the film is set in London and will follow the secret agents as they become involved in a murder mystery that sends them travelling the globe.
    Liam Neeson, Kumail Nanjiani, Rafe Spall, Rebecca Ferguson, and Emma Thompson co-star in the film.
    Men In Black International will be released on June 14th in 2019.

https://www.thewrap.com/chris-hemsworth-tessa-thompson-men-in-black-international/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Bland title, for a movie I hadn't heard anything about. Is it normal that a movie get named less than six months from release?

Agents H & M?

high_street_brand_h_amp_m_559757.jpg

If they weren't liable to spend the whole movie in black suits, you'd be forgiven for assuming the marketing department had had hand in naming them.

Likeable leads offer a little hope though.

mikhail wrote: »
    Bland title, for a movie I hadn't heard anything about. Is it normal that a movie get named less than six months from release?

Agents H & M?

high_street_brand_h_amp_m_559757.jpg

If they weren't liable to spend the whole movie in black suits, you'd be forgiven for assuming the marketing department had had hand in naming them.

Likeable leads offer a little hope though.

They have already renamed it “non binary cis gendered’s in an innoffensive garment”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Eye roll. Sounds like another Independence Day resurgence film. Crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sounds good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    It looks....fine?
    That's pretty generous. It looks like expensive fan fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For those who have Twitter blocked on their computer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hemsworth basically playing Thor by the looks of this trailer, albeit minus the cod-Shakespearean accent. And dunno other folks, but I kinda picked up the absence of Barry Sonnenfeld; the film looked very bland, lacking that heightened comic 'pop' Sonnenfeld's films possess (like the original MiB, Adams Family or Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

While much the same as the other trailer, that felt stronger in the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I never really GOT the MIB movies. I saw the first one in the cinema when it came out and, when I came out, my thoughts were along the lines of: "Did I see a different film to the one everyone is raving about? It was...... Meh". The characters were bland, the effects, while very good, were, to me, uninteresting. For some reason I found the dialogue annoying (I can't explain why). I mean obviously this is just my own personal opinion and I do seem to be in the minority.

About the only thing I did like in the first one was "Z". But everything else just looked so...... blah.

And, I must say, I feel the same way about this. I mean the cast is great. Tessa Thompson and Hemsworth have great chemistry on Thor and you can't beat Emma Thompson and Liam Neeson. I hope it does well but I think it's about 10 years too late and it still looks Meh and annoying to me. (Much like that RIPD movie).

Plus, how long before either someone says it should be "People In Black"? I suppose that'll be brought up in the movie. *sigh*

Edit: Ah, I see people have already joked about the title. Plus, My God but was it me or is there a VERY quick turnaround on this. It seems like the casting was only confirmed a couple of months ago and they already have quite a polished trailer out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Man -> Mankind
    Men -> Menkind in Black ? :D

🤪

Two more trailers.. USA (I guess) and International

USA

International

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like they're leaning into more CGI aliens than the practical FX from the original films, which is a shame. Otherwise it looks all right, couldn't be any worse or superfluous than Men in Black 3.

Interesting compare & contrast for those trailers though, isn't it? The US trailer leans heavily into that little alien sidekick (voiced by Kumail Nanjiani), yet barely features in the International version.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting compare & contrast for those trailers though, isn't it? The US trailer leans heavily into that little alien sidekick (voiced by Kumail Nanjiani), yet barely features in the International version.

I also noticed they cut the line about Women in Black for the International trailer.

Reminds me of some analysis Grace did. Something about how Black Panther features much less on Chinese posters.

I'm guessing it's the marketing folks trying to pull in as much money as possible. Kinda hints at what their marketing research has told them about what to share in different parts of the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Great to see diversity in the lead roles

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hopefully they have a chemistry similar to Thor: Ragnarok but jeez that "Men? ... "i know I'm working on it" line was a proper facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Great to see diversity in the lead roles

:confused:

Bit of a weird comment. The original Men in Black's lead character was Will Smith.

This franchise has never had a diversity problem.

Kirby wrote: »
    :confused:

Bit of a weird comment. The original Men in Black's lead character was Will Smith.

This franchise has never had a diversity problem.

Now we have a person of coloured woman,it's great to see a lady in the lead role I'd say she is a great actor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Now we have a person of coloured woman,it's great to see a lady in the lead role I'd say she is a great actor
    Linda Fiorentino was one of the best things about the original. Always a shame she didn't get to lead the sequel.

Dades wrote: »
    Linda Fiorentino was one of the best things about the original. Always a shame she didn't get to lead the sequel.

I agree she was excellent, wasn't she in the Kevin Spacey film about the general?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree she was excellent, wasn't she in the Kevin Spacey film about the general?
    Never actually seen that. Just looking at her IMDB she was in it alright. She's done very little in the last 20 years at all which is a pity as she was an awesome femme fatale.

Dades wrote: »
    Never actually seen that. Just looking at her IMDB she was in it alright. She's done very little in the last 20 years at all which is a pity as she was an awesome femme fatale.

Her Dublin accent was so good I thought she was Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this film is out tomorrow, seems like another turkey in the offing?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

26% on rottentomatoes right now. Their summary is that it's amiable, and the stars have chemistry, but the franchise is worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I thought it was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's not great by any stretch, but I preferred it over some of the other recent summer films. Haven't seen Dark Phoenix yet, but thought this was a lot better than Godzilla for example, and pretty on par with Aladdin. Not as good as John Wick 3, Detective Pikachu or Endgame though in the other big releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I went and seen this and really enjoyed it. I do think Chris Pine would have been better as Agent H do than Chris Hemsworth. That's not to say Hemsworth was bad just that I think this part would have suited Pine more than Hemsworth.
    There is humour in it and some lovely scenery as well as cool special FX.
    There is some decent fights in it too.
    I also thought the story was good and there is a nice twist or two in it as well.

I think it would be really cool to see Will Smith and Liam Neeson do one together. I also think it would be cool to see agent M again as well if there is another MIB movie.

I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AMKC wrote: »
    So I went and seen this and really enjoyed it. I do think Chris Pine would have been better as Agent H do than Chris Hemsworth. That's not to say Hemsworth was bad just that I think this part would have suited Pine more than Hemsworth.
    There is humour in it and some lovely scenery as well as cool special FX.
    There is some decent fights in it too.
    I also thought the story was good and there is a nice twist or two in it as well.

I think it would be really cool to see Will Smith and Liam Neeson do one together. I also think it would be cool to see agent M again as well if there is another MIB movie.

I would give it a 7 out of 10.

The Chrises :)

Advertisement