Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Bans pigeon and crow shooting

• 23-04-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Shocking news

“The Government has bowed to Chris Packham and is banning most pigeon, crow, gull and Canada goose shooting in England and Wales.

Natural England – the Government agency responsible – is “revoking three general licences for controlling certain wild birds as of Thursday 25 April 2019,” says the Government in a statement. It adds: “These licences (GL 04/05/06) cover 16 species of birds including several members of the crow family, Canada goose, some gulls and pigeons.”

Chris Packham crowdfunded and launched a legal challenge called Wild Justice to the way the licences are issued, arguing that shooters are not acting lawfully. Government lawyers appear to have folded and let Packham have his way.”

https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/generallicences/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

And it's a EU derogation that allows us shoot crows, will they even have that if brexit goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Any chance of that happening over here or do we technically already have that law and the derogation is our way around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I would say that its a stop gap exercise, there is probably an issue with supportive regulations or wording. Prior to this, they had something somewhat similar to our derogation, they could shoot pest species all year round in line with the same reasons for control as scheduled in the Irish derogation.

We have periods of no shooting for specific species through out the 12 month general licences, so it may be a problem with the just cause and application they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Kran wrote: »
    Any chance of that happening over here or do we technically already have that law and the derogation is our way around it?

EU Birds Directive protects all Wild Birds and all EU members must abide to it, but each member may in act a derogation to control certain species, at certain time with prescribed methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It started with that knob end Chris Pakham of the BBC Country file sticking in his oar with a court case launched by his do gooder group ,Wild Justice.Of course they would pick the best time for this idiocy,smack bang in the early breeding season for song birds and for early crop growth.So magpies and other scavengers are going to have a field day with this stupidity this year.

OTOH,this strikes right into the heart of Fudd country in the UK shooting scene.If this doesn't rattle the likes of Mr Yardley down to his plus fours and highly polished brouges, and the Fudds in the double-barrel scene,piegon and crow shooting is the uber Fudd use of a shotgun that they can be attacked too,and that it is time now to quit throwing each other under the bus of political appeasement,then nothing will.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Somebody left dead crows at his gate. He took to Twitter. He seems like a right yoke in his Tweet.
    Saying replies expected.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/tv-presenter-chris-packham-contacts-police-after-dead-crows-left-outside-home-11703514

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Somebody left dead crows at his gate. He took to Twitter. He seems like a right yoke in his Tweet.
    Saying replies expected.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/tv-presenter-chris-packham-contacts-police-after-dead-crows-left-outside-home-11703514

That’s not necessarily a shooter than done that. Don’t forget the likes of peta and a lot of animal welfare groups ( not all but some) have often killed animals and out them in situations to make it seem like it’s other people’s fault.
    If it was someone from the hunting community then they’re idiots. This type of publicity shows us all to be bad apples. And that’s often not the case. My experience is to ignore these idiots. Go straight to the main people about it. Not the idiots like him that are begging for publicity.
    Isn’t he supposed to be a wildlife enthusiast that studies animals? Surely he can see the damage that corvids have on song bird population and the damage pigeons and geese do to crops? He can’t be that stupid to not know that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Almost 100,000 signatures on Change.org to have him [Chris Packham] sacked. In less than 48 hours.

I didn't read the whole story, but apparently there is now a sh*t storm between him, Michael Gove, and the rest of the Government. Apparently Gove is linked into Wild Justice group and this ban came about with no notice to the appropriate bodies or anyone else for that matter.

There was talk of people being sacked, including MPs. So it's now taking on a life of its own.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Mine is one of them. I have a deep loathing for Mr Packham. And Mr Gove.

That’s not necessarily a shooter than done that. Don’t forget the likes of peta and a lot of animal welfare groups ( not all but some) have often killed animals and out them in situations to make it seem like it’s other people’s fault.
    If it was someone from the hunting community then they’re idiots. This type of publicity shows us all to be bad apples. And that’s often not the case. My experience is to ignore these idiots. Go straight to the main people about it. Not the idiots like him that are begging for publicity.
    Isn’t he supposed to be a wildlife enthusiast that studies animals? Surely he can see the damage that corvids have on song bird population and the damage pigeons and geese do to crops? He can’t be that stupid to not know that.

He is of the mindset 'Don't confuse me with facts, tell me what I want to hear'.

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Mine is one of them. I have a deep loathing for Mr Packham. And Mr Gove.

Mutuall feeling.Signed and passed onto the "I hate the BBC" group on FB.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bordglas

I hope it won't result in an increase in tourist shooters from France and Italy coming here instead of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

OTOH,this strikes right into the heart of Fudd country in the UK shooting scene.If this doesn't rattle the likes of Mr Yardley down to his plus fours and highly polished brouges, and the Fudds in the double-barrel scene,piegon and crow shooting is the uber Fudd use of a shotgun that they can be attacked too,and that it is time now to quit throwing each other under the bus of political appeasement,then nothing will.

Mr Yardley has been very quiet about this, not a mention of it on his Twitter account yet.
    (His Facebook account has been closed down or limited for some reason)
    Given the kind of high end guns he prefers to use/ borrow/review I don't think sitting under a hedge waiting for a grey crow or magpie features in his shooting scene much anyway.

Rumour has it that the veneered Mr Yardley does not deign to arouse from his bed of rest for guns worth less than £25,000 or thereabouts.

Your probably correct!
    People like him are very blinkered in my experience. They never think ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Cass wrote: »
    Almost 100,000 signatures on Change.org to have him [Chris Packham] sacked. In less than 48 hours.

I didn't read the whole story, but apparently there is now a sh*t storm between him, Michael Gove, and the rest of the Government. Apparently Gove is linked into Wild Justice group and this ban came about with no notice to the appropriate bodies or anyone else for that matter.

There was talk of people being sacked, including MPs. So it's now taking on a life of its own.

Just signed the petition - a bit over 104,000 now.

Hate the creep - you want to hear him spitting vitriol about shooting when he did a package for the beeb from Malta not long ago, ignored him because I thought he wasn't dangerous...

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Mutuall feeling.Signed and passed onto the "I hate the BBC" group on FB.

In the 6 hours since i posted the above it has gone up by over 7,000 (by the by i'm in no way claiming credit for that, just pointing out how quick it's rising).

If we had the same kind of response from our own when we tried previous petitions we'd have done better than 2,500 in 6 weeks.

Keep spreading the word because our Government has a habit of "borrowing" our neighbours laws if they think the social justice mob want it. So to avoid even allowing such a ban here, even int he form of a dirty thought in some TDs head, lets help get it stopped there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

One lesson we need to learn from this, is that all country sports enthusiasts need to stick together. The UK have lost a lot of their fieldsports in the last number of years, and it's worse it's getting. (Happening here too, slowely but surely.) Who would have thought that crow/pigeon shooting, could or would be banned. What next? Fishing!!

When the **** hits the fan, the all too common reaction, is to distance ourselves from each other. Even throw one form of fieldsports under the bus, to save another. Just remember this, as far Packham and his friends are concerned, we are all legitimate targets, and they will keep chipping away till there's nothing left.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

In the 6 hours since i posted the above it has gone up by over 7,000 (by the by i'm in no way claiming credit for that, just pointing out how quick it's rising).

If we had the same kind of response from our own when we tried previous petitions we'd have done better than 2,500 in 6 weeks.

Keep spreading the word because our Government has a habit of "borrowing" our neighbours laws if they think the social justice mob want it. So to avoid even allowing such a ban here, even int he form of a dirty thought in some TDs head, lets help get it stopped there.

Wouldn't be surprised if they get in the hundreds of thousands to sign.

Pigeon shooting is the poor man's shooting in the UK, where the wealthy shoot driven pheasant, partridge and duck for $$ per bird.

I hope this turns out to be a major faux pas for Packham. The urban liberal elite have really got up the nose of the working class all around the world. In the UK, I see Brexit as a modern day Peasant's Revolt. In the US, it's Trump (albeit it the rednecks chose a billionaire to disrupt the system - weird).

Here in ROI, the peasants live outside the Pale and things like lowering the permitted alcohol limit followed by enthusiastic alcohol testing and banning learner drivers found unaccompanied by a full licensee are adding to the feeling of not being listened to (whatever the merits of the legislation). Still waiting for Shane Ross to set up a bus to my local (funny that - Ross was infamous for being pulled out of every ditch in Wicklow driving home in the '90's - but he probably can't remember much of it at all).

Up another 3,000+ in 3 hours.

• Advertisement

Signed it also!

It's great to see that Mr Packham is generating an international hate-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Signed and shared also.

Hope this turns out to be a major faux pas for Packham. The urban liberal elite have really got up the nose of the working class all around the world. In the UK, I see Brexit as a modern day Peasant's Revolt. In the US, I hit's Trump (albeit it the rednecks chose a billionaire to disrupt the system - weird).

It's very simple really for Brexit,if you are living in some place like Sunderland or Sheffield or the likes and havent seen a job in your family since the devestation Thatcher wrought on your towns since the 1980s...And you watch rich twats like Geldof,Branson &Co sipping champange on a private yacht on the Thames giving the finger and hurling abuse at British trawler men and Nigel Farrange protesting their livleyhoods and there is a vote there...What are you going to do??

Trump did simply what Hillary and Obama chose to ignore.He went to the so called "fly over " states and LISTNED to people that feel disempowerd by 8 years of the most disappointing and devisive president the US had since Carter.Yes they are both NYC millionares,and one a former Democrat and media darling too.I think thats actually WHY the liberal media hate him so much...He turned on them,and espoused the exact opposite to what his pals Hillary and Bill and Barrack and the rest stood for. In fact , legend has it,we can blame Trump for being president on one Mr William Jefferson Clinton,who when he wasnt eying up the talent,presumeably,said that his good friend Don would do very well in politics at some NYC award ceremony....The rest is history!

I hope this is a wakeup call in the Fudd shooting community in the UK.
    You can be hit too as well,and it doesnt matter that you just shoot crows and piegons with a traditional SXS.The antis DO NOT CARE what you shoot or with what,they want us all gone.There are no 1st class passengers in a lifeboat.We are ALL in the same boat,and everyone needs to be bailing and rowing in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cadpat_cowboy

Right boys and girls went on to sign that UK petition and a irish one came up to ban hate coursing minsters in charges details are in image below if you want to voice your views on there up coming decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

GolfVI wrote: »
    Shocking news

“The Government has bowed to Chris Packham and is banning most pigeon, crow, gull and Canada goose shooting in England and Wales.

Natural England – the Government agency responsible – is “revoking three general licences for controlling certain wild birds as of Thursday 25 April 2019,” says the Government in a statement. It adds: “These licences (GL 04/05/06) cover 16 species of birds including several members of the crow family, Canada goose, some gulls and pigeons.”

Chris Packham crowdfunded and launched a legal challenge called Wild Justice to the way the licences are issued, arguing that shooters are not acting lawfully. Government lawyers appear to have folded and let Packham have his way.”

Ffs

More stupidity, because we let the tree huggers run loose...

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Well looks as though it aint such a big deal after all.

Apart from zero consultation with any of the groups involved??Yeah no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Some waste of British civil servants time. And the tax payers money. Don't you have to apply for a licence to use crows decoys here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Can you even get a license for crow decoys? If so how do I go about it? I got permission to shoot over some tillage land which is rare in my area. The crows plague it when it’s just been set. I’ve shot a good few there but sometimes it can take ages to get the first few to use as decoys themselves.

Advertisement