Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Novice to investing

• 17-04-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Have set up a Degiro account
    Here’s what I’m thinking in terms of an allocation for etf fund
    My knowledge is quite poor so would be very grateful of any recommendations of etfs in each category

US Equities
    30%

European Equities
    20%

Small Caps

10%

Global bonds
    15%

EM Credit

10%

Gold

10%

Property

5%

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

What are you trying to achieve? And what kind of size portfolio are we talking about? A small portfolio spread out over so many asset classes will not fair well even when on sector is doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

Will be investing 2000 first day
    And another 2000 every two months
    Will be tilting the portfolio to the riskier end of town. But having said that I need to assess the macro environment – I think we currently in a low growth low inflationary environment but I think it could turn quite quickly to high growth over the coming months.
    Time frame would be over 5 years
    And reviewing every two months to see how the fund is tracking

To start with a five year time span is the minimum period for investing in anything other than cash....

The second thing is that the portfolio is way to small to hold so many positions. Any gains you might make will get wiped out between transaction fees and management fees. Remember the financial institutions are there to make their money, not to make you rich.

You would be best served by banging it all into some thing like the MSCI World Index and have done with it. Also keep your trading costs to a minimum by purchasing only once every six months or so when you have accumulated 5k or so in savings.

In doing so you should follow a DCA (Dollar Cost Averaging) strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ozil10

Jim2007 wrote: »
    To start with a five year time span is the minimum period for investing in anything other than cash....

The second thing is that the portfolio is way to small to hold so many positions. Any gains you might make will get wiped out between transaction fees and management fees. Remember the financial institutions are there to make their money, not to make you rich.

You would be best served by banging it all into some thing like the MSCI World Index and have done with it. Also keep your trading costs to a minimum by purchasing only once every six months or so when you have accumulated 5k or so in savings.

Curious to know what you think would be a sufficient amount to Invest to hold those positions

ozil10 wrote: »
    Curious to know what you think would be a sufficient amount to Invest to hold those positions

If you have to implement the asset allocations and rebalancing yourself then probably at least 250k or more. But you also would not got from a single World Index position to several positions in one jump. Say somewhere around 70k or so you add some bonds or maybe add the MSCI Europe index to weight it more towards Europe and so on.

Starting out you need to be very careful about transaction costs and management fees. And the MSCI World Index give you a fairly good exposure at a reasonable cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

There's quite few MSCI ETFs listed on Degiro - any recommendation on which one? Thanks

There's quite few MSCI ETFs listed on Degiro - any recommendation on which one? Thanks

I don't have access to Degiro, but the one I suggested was MSCI World Index...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

How does CGT work on these funds. Do you only pay it when you sell up?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

I don't have access to Degiro, but the one I suggested was MSCI World Index...

Yes, but would there be a preference for accumulating or distributing and in what currency / exchange?

Advertisement