Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[NETFLIX] Black Summer

• 25-04-2019 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Anyone watching Black Summer on Netflix?

Set in the Z Nation universe (apparently) though I haven't watched Z Nation.
    The series is getting mixed reviews online but while it does have its valid criticisms, overall I thought this was a good season and an interesting take on the Zombie genre - the Zombies are different to the Walking Dead walkers and harder to kill.
    I found myself thinking this was sort of a TV version of (the game) Left 4 Dead.

Would watch a second season Black Summer.

Six weeks after the start of the zombie apocalypse, when a mother (Jaime King) is separated from her daughter, she embarks on a harrowing journey, stopping at nothing to find her. Thrust alongside a small group of American refugees, she must brave a hostile new world and make brutal decisions during the most deadly summer of a zombie apocalypse.[1]

Also, why isn't there a TV series for Resident Evil?

EDIT: Well there you go now...... https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/24/18196803/resident-evil-tv-series-netflix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

No flashbacks, no back story, no whinging teens, dialogue sparse and to the point, all action, thought this was really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So it's also part of the Sharknado universe as well then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched it but won't be back. Found the shaky cam and the "segments" annoying. Short, which is a good thing, given the basic premise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Titan Ashy Lobotomy

So it's also part of the Sharknado universe as well then.

what?! I didn't know that.

I thought it was grand, better than TWD, some of the acting was a bit off, but it was a fun watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Added it to my list when Stephen King recommended it.

Removed it when OP mentioned Z Nation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Titan Ashy Lobotomy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Added it to my list when Stephen King recommended it.

Removed it when OP mentioned Z Nation.

it's fairly different in tone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,978 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I liked it until episode 6. It felt like I missed an episode in between and then the episode lengths were shorter

But agree it was a lot more fun than the walking dead. The fact they can run and are aggressive means they are always a threat, unlike in TWD where the dead are treated as a second thought

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We're nearly through the first season now. It's quite good. As someone above said, it's very much to the point. This isn't the slow pace of The Walking Dead and there isn't some big theme/plot at play. It's just people in a post-apocalyptic suburb trying to not get attacked by these crazy zombies. It's so random and brutal in how it deals with the zombie attacks. I also love how hard it is to take down a single zombie - take that episode with the guy being chased by a zombie. An entire episode... one guy trying to stay one step ahead of one zombie. He's not even attempting to take it on, he knows he's fcuked if that thing lays a hand on him.

One part I didn't like though was the school. That was a bit stupid with
    the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

what?! I didn't know that.

I thought it was grand, better than TWD, some of the acting was a bit off, but it was a fun watch.

Ye Warren was in Sharknado 3 and Doc was in Sharknado 5 and both were refereed to by their Z Nation character names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I think with a better budget and beefing up the writing it could be a good show.
    The zombies being more '28 days later' than walking dead, and being harder to stop (as they're still made of bone) rather than the papier mache like the WD zoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I was in until someone mentioned shaky cam. God I HATE that with a vengeance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched the first 3 it is fun.
    I liked the first episode especially with all the stories crossing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

Watched the 1st 2 last night & really enjoyed the fast pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I enjoyed it. I binged it. You don't know who's gonna croak it, I like that about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Really enjoyed the first half of the season, the 2nd half, not so much. Still would recommend it, but in a "wouldn't watch again" kind of way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Halfway through it. Watched the school episode last night. Thought it was brilliant. A Zombie Breakfast Club

I loved it. A few plot holes but great, tense fun regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Taiga wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. I binged it. You don't know who's gonna croak it, I like that about it.
    Same.
    Should be called "6 Weeks Later" ;).
    Don't be put off by Z Nation association (if, like me, you thought that show was rubbish).
    Apart from the mysteriously missing episode mentioned in a previous post, the only proper quibble I would have is
    none of them in that universe seem to have ever seen a zombie flick, and realise that a headshot is the way to down them for good

Can't wait. Hope it's as fun as the first season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Taiga wrote: »
    Can't wait. Hope it's as fun as the first season.
    If you're a fan of turbo-charged zombies, check out 'Kingdom' on Netflix. It's really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I was really worried they'd turn around at some point and say they had retroactively cancelled Black Summer due to the pandemic, so delighted we've got a trailer and confirmed return date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think I need to rewatch season 1, struggling to remember what happened, before season 2

fritzelly wrote: »
    Think I need to rewatch season 1, struggling to remember what happened, before season 2

I'd to recap, completely forgotten it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is it even tied into the first season? The scope of the show means it'd be easy to have told different group's story for a new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

Watched the the first episode of season 2 last night but caught a recap of season 1 on YouTube that I definitely needed.

Great opener - just as good as season 1
    To answer the last poster - yes, you do need to have seen season 1

Just finished a rewatch of season 1 - great high octane zombie series - hope S2 doesn't disappoint over the weekend

Well I quite enjoyed that - maybe they should rename the series No one survives

Hope there is a S3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

started season 1 yesterday and am half way through season 2 now
    as someone mentioned it is very like Left 4 Dead but it is more like The Last of Us this season
    the sparse dialogue, the tough as **** Z's and the frantic action pace make it a great addition to the Zombie universe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's not perfect, the continuous jumping back to show how we got here can be a little tiresome, and maybe there was one group too many to adequately keep track of everyone.

But it does hopeless desperation so very well. And it really makes Zombies a threat. There's always a fear when someone's about to turn.

Advertisement