Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waiting in Dublin Airport overnight

• 21-04-2019 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to wait around the airport at night? My bus arrives there at 2300 and my flight is not till 0600.

At what time does security open to allow passengers through to the airside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is it ok to wait around the airport at night? My bus arrives there at 2300 and my flight is not till 0600.

At what time does security open to allow passengers through to the airside?

This may be of some use

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/guides/dublin-airport-guide.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Did it a few years ago, nothing wrong with doing it, but everything closed for about 4 hours after midnight, might be different now, but it certainly was not 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You wont get anything like sleep there, floor cleaning and other noise going on through the night and wee hours.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd suggest going into Dublin. You could sit in a pub for 2 hours then go to the 24 hour McDonalds for a coffee or something for an hour or two. As said, you'll not get any sleep at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Nothing wrong with it, have done it before. Find somewhere quiet to kip and you'll be grand. Upstairs in Terminal 2 there's a bar/cafe, to the left of the Arrival doors when facing them, it would be closed overnight but usually there's a few others there camping out.

Security should not bother you, but if they do they'll just ask to see a boarding pass etc. There's a disabled toilet downstairs in Terminal 2 that actually has a shower - but you need a towel of course.

You should be able to go through security screening as soon as it opens, I'm not sure if that is 24 hours but when it opens go on through.

Best place for a cheap meal too would be the McDonalds in Terminal 1 - I think that is 24 hours, although not entirely sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Did it a few times, no bother at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There are certainly quieter areas. If you have a eye mask and earplugs etc it would be fairly easy to get sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Thanks for all the suggestions.

There are places to sleep in T1 airside down near the food court before the turn off for the 200 gates. Also plenty of power sockets there for using a laptop. Of course only of use if the security people will let you through that early.

Once I can sit down and use the laptop for entertainment I am not that bothered about sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Thanks for all the suggestions.

There are places to sleep in T1 airside down near the food court before the turn off for the 200 gates. Also plenty of power sockets there for using a laptop. Of course only of use if the security people will let you through that early.

Once I can sit down and use the laptop for entertainment I am not that bothered about sleep.

+1 on that , wouldn't be my cup of tea but plenty of padded benches , pods etc in that area , prob ok for a few hours rest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Upstairs in McDonalds T1 is your best spot, you can get one of the booths to stretch out if you're there around 11. Security opens at 3, but most shops airside won't be open till 4-ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

you cant get through to airside until 4am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Where does it state this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

My friend was getting an early morning flight. He lives in santry, but it was before any Dublin Bus routes were running and he didn't want to pay for a taxi.
    So he walked thinking he could hang around in duty free and got there for about 2am, only to find out that security didn't open back up until 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

you cant get through to airside until 4am
    Where does it state this?
    The security staff don't start until 4am so you can't go through without the security checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

p_haugh wrote: »
    My friend was getting an early morning flight. He lives in santry, but it was before any Dublin Bus routes were running and he didn't want to pay for a taxi.
    So he walked thinking he could hang around in duty free and got there for about 2am, only to find out that security didn't open back up until 4am.

If he lived in Santry and knew how long it would take him to walk, why didn't he just sleep on or stay home till his time to leave rather than hanging around Duty Free???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Consey wrote: »
    If he lived in Santry and knew how long it would take him to walk, why didn't he just sleep on or stay home till his time to leave rather than hanging around Duty Free???
    You would think that, but I think he was bored of hanging around at home and decided to just go to the airport early :confused:

Advertisement