Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camouflaged hides.

• 19-04-2019 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Any advice on the above. Being using standard camouflage netting and poles over the years. I shoot mostly crows,pigeons and foxs. Hoping to shoot more Fox's this year during the summer evenings. The poles and netting can be slow to put up and take down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Maybe a face mask and stay still?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Are you thinking about something like this.

I bought one a few years back. Granted i don't use it too much as most of my shooting is stalking or walking but the couple of times i've used it's been good, handy, and it's a pop up so open the carry case and it takes little effort to assemble and less to pack up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Or one of these. They pop up in about a minute and they are in 3 sections so you can have a long straight blind( against a ditch) or fold them around you( in standing corn etc). They can also be pegged down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pigeon-shooting-Pop-Up-Blind-Hide-net-Green-or-Wetlands-camo-Pattern/173852503970?hash=item287a6aafa2:m:mwJsd95zloktMUFkEImQ0ng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Chiparus wrote: »
    Maybe a face mask and stay still?

Face mask helps a lot but if you move to take a shot your quarry will be gone. Especially when you need to manoeuvre to take a shot on a fox.

Cass wrote: »

I bought one a few years back. Granted i don't use it too much as most of my shooting is stalking or walking but the couple of times i've used it's been good, handy, and it's a pop up so open the carry case and it takes little effort to assemble and less to pack up.

What is it like to shoot from. Space seems limited to swing to the left and right. Is it waterproof? If the weather was bad it would be ideal. What size is it folded?

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    Or one of these. They pop up in about a minute and they are in 3 sections so you can have a long straight blind( against a ditch) or fold them around you( in standing corn etc). They can also be pegged down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pigeon-shooting-Pop-Up-Blind-Hide-net-Green-or-Wetlands-camo-Pattern/173852503970?hash=item287a6aafa2:m:mwJsd95zloktMUFkEImQ0ng

What size is it folded Vizzy. Plenty space in it.

What is it like to shoot from. Space seems limited to swing to the left and right.
    It can be. No point in saying it's not.

I would describe it more as a straight shooting with limited left and right swing.
    Is it waterproof?
    My one is, the picture/link is only for illustration purposes so cannot comment on it.
    What size is it folded?
    About 6 inches deep, 24" across and 36" long.

It's more oval shaped and you'll know it's on your back. Not because of weight but with mine the chair is included in the hide and it has metal legs. IOW it doesn't fold up and roll up into a neat little bundle.

However it's not cumbersome. They are also available in two man which may allow more room for swing and greater field of view. My one has side "windows" (mesh netting) to allow me to see from the sides so you're not blind, sitting in a blind. Get it. :D

I'll get my coat.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

It is about 110cm by 15 cm when folded. Comes in a bag with a strap that you can sling over you shoulder.

Each of the sections are 150cmX150cm when erected and the top 30cm or so is kinda see through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm too paranoid that some moron would shoot me if I were sitting in one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

It is about 110cm by 15 cm when folded. Comes in a bag with a strap that you can sling over you shoulder.

Each of the sections are 150cmX150cm when erected and the top 30cm or so is kinda see through.

Does it blow about in the wind, I had a pop up hide and any breeze , it was collapsing , had to be tied down.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    Does it blow about in the wind, I had a pop up hide and any breeze , it was collapsing , had to be tied down.

It does a bit, particularly if you have it all folded out.
    It doesn't collapse but it will move if you don't peg it down.

But I think that any hide will move on a windy day unless it is pegged down.

Again, the pegging only takes a few seconds and you get a knack of how to erect the hide after a few tries.

However it's not cumbersome. They are also available in two man which may allow more room for swing and greater field of view. My one has side "windows" (mesh netting) to allow me to see from the sides so you're not blind, sitting in a blind. Get it. :D

I'll get my coat.[/quote]

Could you use a shooting stock in it so as to fire a rifle. Surely there is 140° of a shooting angle. A chair to sit on and weather proof. Should also help to stop your scent from being carried downwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I find these leaf suits great for summer decoying - nice & cool & lightweight.
    Birds never see you if no movement.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-SELLER-GHILLIE-SUIT-3D-CAMO-LEAF-WOODLAND-SHOOTING-PHOTOGRAPHY-CAMOUFLAGE/362623570973?hash=item546e0c941d:g:eE0AAOSwMoZctfXb&frcectupt=true

20170712-133632813-i-OS.jpg

J.R. wrote: »

Did you ever use it shooting crows. If you had some sort of face cover on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Eddie B

In my opinion, hides are only good for decoying, and that's the only time I'd ever use one. For anything else, good camo gear, including face mask and gloves are more suited.

Eddie B wrote: »
    In my opinion, hides are only good for decoying, and that's the only time I'd ever use one. For anything else, good camo gear, including face mask and gloves are more suited.

Which would be best for summer evenings calling foxs?

As Eddie B says, camo ( or at least dark) clothing. Mask and possibly gloves.

Sit in against a tree or a bush to break up your outline and don't make any sudden movements.
    I set the rifle up on shooting sticks and don't really need to move it too much after that.

As Eddie B says, camo ( or at least dark) clothing. Mask and possibly gloves.

Sit in against a tree or a bush to break up your outline and don't make any sudden movements.
    I set the rifle up on shooting sticks and don't really need to move it too much after that.

Do you use this method during the summer evenings.

+1

Thats why my solo hide doesn't get much use. Bought a DeerHunter one a few years back when they were on offer. Had it two weeks and decided to buy a second one.

It's lightweight but tough. In summer you simply wear a dark t-shirt and trackies. In winter heavier clothing as there is plenty of room.

Do you use this method during the summer evenings.

Mainly, yes.
    I walk the ground first to see where foxes are active, then I try to set up in a ditch as close as I can to the area.
    Been working good for the last few weeks, got 3 this week at duskish.

If I can get a place that I can get above them I just lie down and wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Yea id use camo head to toe, or as lads have mentioned black, or dark clothes. I think the important thing is to cover the skin so's not to leave any contrast between light skin, and dark clothes. A fox, magpie etc can spot the movement of a bare hand against dark/camo clothing, and that may be the difference between getting a shot and not.

As reguards location. I like to set up on a ditch with open ground in front of me, and then cover beyond that.

Did you ever use it shooting crows. If you had some sort of face cover on.

Yes - great for crow, greycrow & magpie shooting. I find it great if you have to move around or have to travel far and want to travel light.

I'd wear it with a camo facemask and gloves & sometimes sunglasses if very glarey.

They never see you if you keep movement to a minimum.

The only problem I'd had with it is it's very awkward to get to your trouser pockets. No pockets in the suit.
    That's why I have the two pouches on the cartridge belt - phone pouch & binoculars.

20170712-133632813-i-OS.jpg

I often wear a olive green long sleeve shirt and olive green trousers.
    I can wear this leaving the house & nobody in the estate takes any notice - realtree camo would be different. If I'm bringing Realtree camo clothes or leaf suit I put them on in the field.
    I'd alway have face veil & gloves & hat in green or camo.

For fox shooting you just need drab coloured clothing, the wind in your favour and a background behind you - hedge or trees.
    You could have the best camo suit but if you are standing on a hill or ridge they will see your outline immediately.

Foxes have great eyesight to spot miovement but their eyesight is not so good when youy remain perfectly still - they can't see you as long as no skin can be seen and you remain still.

Thery are colourblind so can't see colours.
    They can see hue's of blue so jeans are out.

Standing still in drab green clothing I've often had to shout at a fox to stop him coming in too close. - they see nothing if you are still and wind is in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭clivej

I liked the look of this for next years, stalking, £90

Hub Style 2 Camo Pop Up Hide Photography Tent Shooting Decoying Wildlife https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFGBKV7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YW3UCbM3KZCG7

If I purchased a covered hide where I could sit down (similar to the one Cass mentioned earlier) how would I manage to shoot a rifle.

Would you use shooting sticks or would this be cheating ?

Whatever gives me the advantage. You only get one shot at a fox. You have an idea in your photos. Might be a little excessive. And not very portable.

Minktrapper,

I was kind of joking with the shooting bench, but it dismantles or goes together in about 30 secs. I have since lightened it a good bit by cutting out fairly big holes in the pieces, but it is still an 8X4 sheet of plywood. Maybe not great for the one shot at a fox but brilliant for bunnies using subs.

The shooting sticks are what I normally use (homemade) and they are great.

If you shrunk it down even more you might be on to something.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »

If I was to purchase one should I get one with a seat or bring a folding seat with me. I have a little 3 legged folding seat already and it is very handy. It weighs virtually nothing.

Advertisement