Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A3 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Miklos wrote: »
    Follow Colm Bracken or John Priest's wheel and you'll come out alright!

With about 100 other lads!!! If i can jump off those wheels i'd be pleasantly surprised and shocked.

Training & more training..

With no racing till Ras an Laois this is a good time for a solid training block till then.

Saturday: Threshold(105- 110%) - 5 x 10 at 90 rpm, hard work with 60min Z2 before and after, suffered like a dog for the last one but got through it.
    Sunday: 12hrs in UL at a swim gala, worse than any race or workout but great day for my daughter so worth the mental hell.
    Monday : 60mins fasted recovery at 6am...
    Tuesday: Lactate overload work, these went really well and the last was as good as the first- 30 secs at 120% then 5 mins at 100%. Asolid start to a Tuesday as i did these at 6.30am!!

The rest of the week has more threshold, a sprint session with endurance based spins for Saturday ( 4hrs) & Sunday ( 3hrs). A busy week but legs and body feel good just now.

AM training works a treat for me weekdays but hopefully longer evenings will mean i can venture outside for a session or two when evening traffic has eased.

My weight is at 95ks currently, happy but could be better. A work in progress.

Time to go racing again...

So after a solid training block in which i feel went really well its time to attack my next racing block.

Ras an Laois 17th April
    FTP Test 25th April
    Frank O Rourke 5th May
    Dunsany GP 11th May.

Of this block i have only raced the Frank O Rourke, it's course i like and feel it should suit me so fingers crossed. The others are unknown and totally different but as my legs feel good i'm hopeful of a ghood showing in these races.

As a measure of my improvement i'd be nearly disappointed if i couldnt get a Top 10 in at least one race.

Ras an Laois

Domino effect....

Easter Sunday gave us the most beautiful day for racing, best this year by a long way. Hopefully returns soon!

The course itself seemed like it would suit and when i saw the last kilometre i was even more certain. A very sweet 450 yard dig to the line once i could get postion to negoiate the sharp l90 degree left turn just before.

The race itself was quick then slow, lads trying to get away but none stuck. I even had 5/6k of a solo myself, felt like i was minutes up the road but in reality i had about 15 secs max!!!!! As per normal i stayed handy throughout to give myself the best chance of avoiding spilts, crashes etc with all going well. Once we hit the last lap focus was now on to get top 15 for the last turn then hit the full gas at 200 out ( 400-200 was the steepest part of the finish). Legs were good, position good, 1k out, can i win??? focus now...hold wheels, avoid his wheel.....correct gear.....

The all came to sudden halt, lad 4 riders up decided not to make the turn and planeted the wall another lad two ridiers to my left shouldered his rival who had no choice but to take me out, race over. The overhead drone footage suggests the lad who finisihed fourth caused the concertina effect at the bend.

The best i've felt at the end of a race and in the best position to get a proper result, top 5 was on the cards, maybe more. This is racing however and with bike and body all okay im grateful as the wall looked pretty solid in fairness!

I may never get another chance like that. Still at least the legs are good and on we go to Wexford on May 5th.

FTP Test

As i'd been using the Trainerroad format for any test i've ever done i decided to create the test in Training Peaks instead of a monthly sub for one workout. It was simple really and have it for all time now though there is one slight differences, initial warm up doesn't ramp but that isn't a big concern.

So the format is warm up then three escalating 1 min on/off efforts under high cadence 100 rpm plus then 5 mins rest, 5 mins max effort , 5 mins rest then the 20 min tt effort for the test itself. Everything was rosy with a 447 watt avg for 5 min max effort and held my target of 381 watts for first 5 mins. After the 5 min i wanted to lap that part but after hitting the lap button the test went into the 10 min cool down period, i couldn't believe it, 35 mins utterly wasted so abandoned ship with alot of anger voiced from the confine sof my shed, the poor mrs thought something serious was wrong!!! Needless to say the form was ****e for a while after as i'd been expecting a decent result but parked then till the next day.

24hrs later with good legs under me i cracked on with no drama and nailed the test. As usual i was on the ropes for the last 3 mins but stuck at it to beat the target set of 383-385 avg. With a lot of sweat and grunting i finished with 387 avg for the 20 mins, very happy with that.

This gives me a new FTP of 371, plus 10 watts from my test in March.

Stats from when i started the log on 01/01

Weight: 99.2kgs
    FTP: 330

Current stats 27/04

Weight : 95.0 kgs
    FTP : 371

• Advertisement

Club League Race 02/05

Managed to squeeze a league race into the plan last night, pan flat 53k from scratch group. The A4's got 5 mins on a combined A1,A2,A3 group which seemed generous as they had 22 compared to our 10 i think. As a group we wroked like a dream to make the catch about 2km out for a gallop to the line. I started the gallop with two lads geting a few yards but they blew near the line. I finished 3rd at th line with A1 and A4 clubmate in front of me, pleased with the workout.

Overall i felt strong all night and well able to hold in with the stronger lads, hopefully this translates to a decent race Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

dahat wrote: »
    Club League Race 02/05

Managed to squeeze a league race into the plan last night, pan flat 53k from scratch group. The A4's got 5 mins on a combined A1,A2,A3 group which seemed generous as they had 22 compared to our 10 i think. As a group we wroked like a dream to make the catch about 2km out for a gallop to the line. I started the gallop with two lads geting a few yards but they blew near the line. I finished 3rd at th line with A1 and A4 clubmate in front of me, pleased with the workout.

Overall i felt strong all night and well able to hold in with the stronger lads, hopefully this translates to a decent race Sunday.

With the vets TT up here cancelled on Tuesday evening I went down to the Collins Race TT in Horse and Jockey, I was thinking you might have been there but obviously you were keeping your powder dry for the following evening, a good result those lads are no slouches

nilhg wrote: »
    With the vets TT up here cancelled on Tuesday evening I went down to the Collins Race TT in Horse and Jockey, I was thinking you might have been there but obviously you were keeping your powder dry for the following evening, a good result those lads are no slouches

Thanks, yeah always a good gallop each week. Id like to do more but stuff gets in the way.

There is no TT next week just in case you are travelling.

Frank O Rourke

My last race was the Frank O Rourke in which the A3 race was marred by by the tragic death of Sean Lynch, RIP.

Block after block

Training is going well just now with heart rate dropping for Z3 efforts plus a very encouraging outdoor sprint session last week,12 x 30 secs full gas seperarted by 4 mins recovery yielded good power numbers for 20 secs in 3 or 4 reps. This is very encouraging as this session has defeated me before though indoor sprint sessions are hell.

I had a couple of solo 4hr spins last weekend and while these are enjoyable some company would be great! The times i left plus each spin had certain intervals so it would be unfair to expect someone to do same as my z3 could be their Z5 or vice versa. The views around the coast roads of Waterford certainly helped the mind though and i'll see more this week with a 5hr spin on Sunday with a 6 or 7am depart.

My weight has dropped to 94kgs and with FTP still increasing all remains well on the performance front.I've started to believe that i may be good enough to nick an A3 race on the right course if not this year then early next year, confidence is sky high just now and i'm racing accordingly.

The good & the bad

League race last week yielded a decent result with third from a handy sized filed with the first two places filled by A1 riders. We closed down the 4min gap to A4's with relative ease so the second part was meh until the gallop. Overall happy with the placing though a little more restrainit and i may have had second.

The FTP test for this morning was abandoned after 20 mins as i wasn't going well in the 5 min clearing effort. This wa ssomewhat expected after discussions with my coach last night who had suggested leaving it till thursday as my HR was elevated in the pre ftp effort yesterday. My sechdule will be easy now till Saturday to hopefully clear the fatigue from the body. Sleep with some foam rolling may help the body recover.

This week i have the Raparee Cup which has been a main target for me all year. It is 10 x 5.2km laps of A3/A4 riders who usually get 2-3 mins start. The result will basically come down to postioning on the last bend so hopefully if i'm in the top 10 i can get a top 5 result which is my aim, i'll be pretty disappointed if i can't get a good result here as besides some residual fatigue from a hard block i'm feeling good.

• Advertisement

I've decided to bring the turbo today for my warm up, 75 min race 45 min warm up! It's specific to the race so easier done on a turbo.

At least I'll look like I know what I'm at.

I've been waiting for this race since March so hoping for a good show later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've decided to bring the turbo today for my warm up, 75 min race 45 min warm up! It's specific to the race so easier done on a turbo.

At least I'll look like I know what I'm at.

I've been waiting for this race since March so hoping for a good show later

How'd it go?

nilhg wrote: »
    How'd it go?

I finished 12th after arriving to the last bend in a good position but I just don't have that big kick on a flat finish. On reflection I'm happy but I was looking for more there.

FTP testing never gets easier

In order to progress with adjusted training zones regular FTP testing is required.When this test is within a "rest week" it takes some of the rest away from rest week! I have had some issues nailing the correct timeline for testing in the days beforehand, load and timing of the test is proving tricky which showed in last weeks failure after 20 mins of the 60min session.

This time round i had a total rest day beforehand and with some good sleep over the last few days i felt good starting out. My targets were 393 avg watts for 12 then push towards 400avg for the remaining.The forst 10 went good and on target but the pain and suffering started to hit soon after which resulted in 2/3 very brief stops but a case of HTFU kicked in to finish the test. End result was 395 avg watts for 20mins and 2 dead legs.
    I achieved all time time 5 & 20min power peaks here but i'm disappointed that the brief stops were there, this will be something to work on going forward especially when the golden target 400 + watts for the test. FTP testing is as much mental as physical.

Stats from when i started the log on 01/01

Weight: 99.2kgs
    FTP: 330

Current stats 06/06

Weight : 94.0 kgs
    FTP : 380

Collins Cycle Centre

In what looked like a medium size field of approx 70 i fancied my chances of a decent showing especially after a good week in which the legs felt good.

The usal flurry of attacks kicked off early with Kanturk the cause of most of them, they had a sizeable team there for the main lad it seemed. Tom Morarity rolled off early so after a few minor attacks i jumped off to try bridge over to see if a break could stick early on. My confidence only increased when another Kanturk lad joined me so we worked to bridge over. After we made it the gap increased to 45 secs with the three of us working well. However the bunch had other ideas and closed us down just at the end of the first lap, my dreams of being away for a race over for another day.

Laps 2 & 3 went by with 4-6 lads getting away but never too far. Lap 3 was were the winner and TM skipped away to bridge to the break then roll past them. The bunch picked up the rest for the gallop but after it seemed promising it all stalled around 2km out. As usual it got tight and messy and after fighting for good position i lost it around 1200 out. This meant i had to sprint past quite a few to make 12th or so for a some what disappointing result.

I'm not sure if i'm expecting too much from these races or if my own eagerness is costing me at then end of a race.This time last year i'd have killed for the results i'm currently gettingso maybe a reality check is in order.

I'm enjoying racing the way i am but it looks like i'll have to adjust tactics to get inside the Top 10 or even a podium result. My next race is 5 weeks away so its back to training blocks with an odd league race for threshold fun!

Intervals & Efforts!!

With no racing again until a nice 3 race block over 2 weeks the training continues. I've been heading towards The Vee midweek as its a steady climb and just stunning this time of year in good weather. After doing various efforts on the climb i have set myself a goal of sub 20min for the climb before season end.The segment is 8.40km @ 3 % with my current best time of 22.51, i have never really gone after a time here so intersting to see how i fare out, possible climb for an FTP test maybe.

Anyone else find the training commitement tough during blocks of no racing?

As for racing the below are next up for me with the calender getting bare for me after that. I may look at races with unsuitable hills just to burn off the legs towards end of season. I still feel pretty okay but racing JNR's up hills isn't ideal it could be a free shot or even a learning experience.

Our own club league hasn't been confrmed yet so hoping this goes ahead as it is usually good fun and hard racing over two circuits.

Confirmed

Tipp Wheelers GP July 14th
    Shannonside GP July 20th - won my A4 here, old course finish suits me
    Silver Pail GP July 21st placed 4th as an A4 here, ramp finish here suits me
    Club Rothaiochta Na Sionainne Classic August 11th - no clue of the course here

Possibles

Ras Cill Mocheallog - Lumpy!!!
    2019 Cycling Ireland Masters & A3 Road Race Championships - license has M40 not senior A3 so i'm ****ed here but its season end so why not.
    19th Annual Charleville 2 Day - unsure here as it's a two day commitment with accomondation ,planning etc. I've never done a 2 day so it appeals on that level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Done the Charleville 2 day a few years ago with very little experience under my belt and it was great craic and highly recommended. Just do it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Done the Charleville 2 day a few years ago with very little experience under my belt and it was great craic and highly recommended. Just do it.

Is it a non aero TT?

Is it a non aero TT?

I had clip on aero bars, so I presume you could have aero bikes. All the A4s were off together so I didn't notice any aero rigs

I had clip on aero bars, so I presume you could have aero bikes. All the A4s were off together so I didn't notice any aero rigs

Haven't got an aero rig so as it's short I'd be going all roadie TT!!

I'll be looking into the event as it's last event bar Masters if I go there. Accommodation likely a premium at that time so booking early would be essential.

• Advertisement

Charleville 2 day is confirmed, family pass for the weekend & accomadation booked though hardly the Ritz it will do.

As it's 4 for a team i'll be an indivdual entry unless someone wants to sign me up for the weekend!!!!

And the block nears an end...

What has felt like a never ending block nears an end this week, the ftp test in the block yielded a 5 watt negative difference but it was my first road test so ill cut myself a break there. One postive was a cracking effort on the chosen climb (The Vee) ,18mins from Goatenbridge turn to the summit, fastest recorded time on that segment this year.

My next raciing block has Golden this Sunday then Shannonside GP & Silver Pail in Fermoy the next weekend, i've raced well in all these before so fingers crossed for at least one good result. Racing on consecutive days will be new to me and add the long journey to Athlone i'll need to be well rested that night.

After those races then it's all systems go for Charleville with anything in between just training races as such though the calender doesn't hold anything that appeals anyway.

Tipp Wheelers GP

I'd been looking forward to this & my next two races as most who read this will know. However two sessions midweek dented the confidence as two partially completed Z6 workouts left me wondering if the legs and body were done for the year ( been at it since September). My coach rowed in and reassusred me as best he could that the body was good just maybe the combo of heat & turbo may have contributed to the two failures. I had all my back wheels in for maintenace so no option but the turbo for these.

Yesterday brought the sun out for the race so i wondered if vast numbers would arrive given the weather, anything under 80 would be fine but 100 plus would be tricky to negoitate on the narrow sections. The body had come round somewhat after the midweek horror as Saturdays pre race efforts offered some encouragement so hope had returned!

A 3 lap 75km affair offered early attacks by plenty but none stuck as expected. My orders were to sit in and conserve for the final lap but on lap 2 a small break went with McGarry in it so i tried to bridge over but couldnt get there so i was left in no mans land until i sat up for the bunch. The race although trucking along according to avg speed felt a little flat with very few serious attacks that even had half a chance of sticking. A 75km race at 100km pace meant the legs were only coming round at 50 km for me so lap 3 was crucial as i knew there was a chance of a good result here the way things were going, this was heightened more when all breaks were caught and everyone knew a sprint finish was likely.

The run in in 2km and pretty flast bar a little ramp at 200m out which was my go point if plan A failed. There was a few lads that went at 2km to go and the bunch left them go but when McGarry went i knew he was going for the win but i hesitated and he was gone, zipping through the dead lads to catch the last two where he sat. Plan A was to go 1km out and hang on if could so i went a little earlier & flew by the dead lads, a brief look saw me have maybe 15 yards on the bunch, no chance so balls out i went to catch the three ahead. For a brief moment in time i looked like getting on so i decided to go by if i did to try catch them napping...... bang, McGarry pulled the trigger, the 3 man sprint was on and i wasn't getting there!!!! The focus now is to hold off the bunch but the legs gave out 10 yards from the line and i ended up 7th overall which is a good result but 4th would have been better!

All in all a season best placing so hopefully next weekend goes even better.

Just to note the winner in a serious prospect, he has won two A3 races as a 16 year old, seems a very nice lad as well.

Well done, a great finish and read.
    All in all a season best placing so hopefully next weekend goes even better.
    Where are you next weekend?

Well done, a great finish and read. Where are you next weekend?

Shannonside GP Saturday then Fermoy on Sunday, I've gone well on both courses as an A4 previously.

My own custom 2 day!!!

My rear Cosmic gone for repair so racing this weekend on 2 flat course with non deep rim wheels.

It may or may not make any difference but always nicer to have the deep rims.

Anyway body feels good for this weeks races and confidence is sky high after last week.

Shannonside GP

As i won my A4 here i had high hopes but on arrival i found out the finish had changed to a pan flat sprint which was disappointing. Lesso earned here though, check all details before commiting to a 5hr round trip.

Race itself had around 70 in a field that look slightly below average whch gave me encouragement. The course didnt seem like it qould be breakaway type of day so while active at the front i tried to concserve for the gallop but a late move saw 4 skip away which i missed so all the bunch had left was minor placings. The finish had a stiff headwind and after a stong lad went i took his wheel but he died 500 out so left in the wind i had to go which ended pretty quickly soon after, in the interests of sfety etc i pulled to the side and left the rest sort it out.

The wheel i took ended up winning an A3 race the next day, why not today i wondered????

Fermoy GP

Finish here is perfect for me, long fast run into a drag tha tlevels out for the last 100m so again hopes were high.

This is the forst time time i've raced on consecutive days so the legs were a concern but that was forgotten quickly when the felt super fresh early on. The usual flurry of attacks early saw a break go with around 10 lads that built up a 30/40 sec gap that a few got together to pull it back including myself. After this i reckoned nothing more would stick so sat back to conserve for the finish but another move went that stayed away, we got to in around 10 secs but everyone sat up and assumed we would get them for the gallop at the end of the lap but the bunch stopped working or most didn't want to if i'm being honest. Team mates of those in the break did a good job of killing jump off's to get across over the course of the breakaway and while this is racing clubs having multiple jnrs there blocking attacks surely isn't the correct way to teach them?The inevitable gallop for 70th place happened which led to a guy coming down in the riduclous sprint, i think he has crashed in a sprint before so he is a wheel to avoid for sure.

Observations
    A3 bunches are lazy & full of A4 mentailty, wait for the sprint by default. A limited few have interest in bringing breaks back while the rest just sit & hog wheels of those who try to bridge across.

The A3/JNR group should be split, the good ones should be bumped earlier as 90 pts is far too high a target to reach, the normal A3 racer is just being used as cannon fodder for training these young lads. To add insult to injury yet naother A3/JNR race goes to an U16 rider with special permission to ride these races.

What happens when/if a young rider is involved in a srious crash someday? Surely this cannot continue to be allowed.

I need to learn to be more race aware as two races got away from me recently due to lapses in concentration and/or doing too much on earlier breaks. It's getting annoying missing winning moves.

All that is left for me is Shannon on Aug 11th then CHarleville 2 day which is a free hit really. Shannon is my only chance left of a race win this year.

Slowly grinding to a halt...

In what seems like a season that has gone on forever i've now reached the last period, Shannon on Sunday then Charleville in September. I had originally planned to race the Masters in Gorey but as i'm M40 the filed will be brimming with A1/A2 talent so it's a pass.

Club Rothaiochta Na Sionainne Classic

I like this course as it has a ramp finish similar to Fermoy, it should present a decent oppurtunity all going well. However it is a combined A2/A3 filed so the approach will be different, the plan i think will be to follow wheels for as long as possible and try to avoid blowing up chasing or trying to force a break. One would imagine the A2 lads will try crack us so i will have to be tactically aware and assess the filed better than in previous races. My aim here is a top 10 finish so fingers crossed.

Charleville will be new for me and rather than race it solo i'm guesting for another team which should be fun. Having back up, team & mechanical should take pressure off in what is a stressful weekend. It normal attracts large fields so hopefully all goes well, more on Charleville nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

how's the training going for Charleville? Heading down to the A4 races there myself, looks like a great weekend of racing.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    how's the training going for Charleville? Heading down to the A4 races there myself, looks like a great weekend of racing.

Good stuff, looks good but sure all races do beforehand!!! The weekend presents a good chance for A4 riders to collect upgrade points, it never seems to populate as much as the A2/A3 race.

Best of luck & hope you get some good results over the 2 days.

Advertisement