Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How big will my fine be for non payment of m 50 toll

• 16-04-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello all, have Google this and got nowhere.we allowed a fine to go unpaid.(have settled a few cases for reasonable sums.)this particular one got too big. I rang up and offered 50euro,it was declined.its not a great problem for me, I will attend the court, without a solicitor and explain above to judge. My question is can anyone point out a similar case so I can estimate the possible fine. Google and boards.ie have shown me many cases of big fines where over 100journeys were unpaid.i am talking one one unpaid trip.any info folks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭gipi

There's an explanation of how the fines are applied at the end of this article

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ten-motorists-fined-100-000-for-unpaid-m50-tolls-1.3862180?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

gipi wrote: »
    There's an explanation of how the fines are applied at the end of this article

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ten-motorists-fined-100-000-for-unpaid-m50-tolls-1.3862180?mode=amp

Thanks gipi, what I am looking for is a newspaper report, or perhaps an actual poster who can say how much the fine was in a similar case to mine.i.e.one trip, fifty Euro offered and declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

rugbyman wrote: »
    Hello all, have Google this and got nowhere.we allowed a fine to go unpaid.(have settled a few cases for reasonable sums.)this particular one got too big. I rang up and offered 50euro,it was declined.its not a great problem for me, I will attend the court, without a solicitor and explain above to judge. My question is can anyone point out a similar case so I can estimate the possible fine. Google and boards.ie have shown me many cases of big fines where over 100journeys were unpaid.i am talking one one unpaid trip.any info folks?

How much is the fine to say you'd rather pay a solicitor and go to court instead of paying it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

rugbyman wrote:
    Thanks gipi, what I am looking for is a newspaper report, or perhaps an actual poster who can say how much the fine was in a similar case to mine.i.e.one trip, fifty Euro offered and declined.

Up to 5k if I remember correctly.
    You won't even get to give a defence in court I'd imagine. It's fairly black and white regarding paying fines.

Good,i did not read that as o an not a contributor.however I read similar articles.i care not about 150+multiple offenders.i do understand how the fees increase,no great problem with that either
    If the info I seek(court fines for people who go to court over one trip) appearsit may be of help to many

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most people aren't going to court over one as it'll cost then vastly more than paying

By the time it gets to court they'll have had significantly more than 50 of costs in chasing you so they'd never take an offer that low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

How much are they looking for you to pay OP?

L1011 wrote: »
    Most people aren't going to court over one as it'll cost then vastly more than paying

By the time it gets to court they'll have had significantly more than 50 of costs in chasing you so they'd never take an offer that low

l1011.thanks for reply ,is that not a good reason for them to accept the 50 .as you say it will cost more to send their solicitors to court.i think the current charge they are looking for is about 1.000. I want to go to court, what I am looking for here is info on anyone who went before me,i.e. attended, explained, and got dealt with.
    Regards

Kevwoody wrote: »
    How much are they looking for you to pay OP?

Around 1,000. Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

You say you want to explain what happened to the judge. How many letters from eflow did you receive before it reached €1,000?
    That's going to be pretty hard to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Have you registered for video payment or bought a tag in the meantime? This is vital for getting some mercy.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Up to 5k if I remember correctly.
    You won't even get to give a defence in court I'd imagine. It's fairly black and white regarding paying fines.

That sounds terribly high Rossieman.how could I be summonsed to court and not allowed to speak??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Around 1,000. Kev.

And you offered just 50?

I think you need to up your offer to 250-400 to have any hope of it been accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They will in all likelihood not summon you to court for one toll.
    It would cost more than they can recoup, even with their quasi legal fines added in.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    You say you want to explain what happened to the judge. How many letters from eflow did you receive before it reached €1,000?
    That's going to be pretty hard to defend.

We got all the usual letters, for whatever reason we ignored them is not the point here.i will not find it hard to defend my stupidity in not paying. But what I am seeking today is info on what some other person in similar circumstances, got fined

Have you registered for video payment or bought a tag in the meantime? This is vital for getting some mercy.

Thank you Charles, not video, but we would possibly have paid on time for further trips, am not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Out of interest, what would your defence in court be? From what I can see from your posts, you have no defence.

If you go to court with the attitude you have here you'll get the maximum fine the court can give I'd imagine.

Offer to pay half. Learn a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Thank you Charles, not video, but we would possibly have paid on time for further trips, am not sure

Get a tag, seriously the hassel and stress involved here is well worth the €12 for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Get a tag, seriously the hassel and stress involved here is well worth the €12 for the year.
    Or if you rarely use any other tolls apart from the M50, get a video account, absolutely 100% free and you get a (smaller) discount on the toll too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the notion that for a fine of €1000, they'd even consider accepting €50 without laughing, you're on a hiding to nothing.
    the last thing they want (bar accepting a ludicrously low offer to settle) is word getting out of them accepting 95% haircuts on their fines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

patmahe wrote: »

Looks like the op will have to cough up whether he likes it or not.

the notion that for a fine of €1000, they'd even consider accepting €50 without laughing, you're on a hiding to nothing.
    the last thing they want (bar accepting a ludicrously low offer to settle) is word getting out of them accepting 95% haircuts on their fines.

Magic,i offered 50at an earlier stage, not sure at what price.i suspect your second comment is right. And I suspect more,which may emerge here,is that they don't want the word out on how many people get taken to court for one breach,and how much the fine might be

patmahe wrote: »
    Pat, and Dakota, the people in court, or actually, not in court, in that article were prosecuted for five breaches but had in fact 150to 250each

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My mother in law ignored a fine and multiple letters. Woke up one morning with the door being banged down, as she watched her car get towed away. She had to pay 2.5k (was 2 trips), before her car was released.

antodeco wrote: »
    My mother in law ignored a fine and multiple letters. Woke up one morning with the door being banged down, as she watched her car get towed away. She had to pay 2.5k (was 2 trips), before her car was released.

Thank you anti, that's an actual case. Which is good for this discussion,, but among the letters she ignored was a summons to court, it's ignoring those which cause bother.as a matter of interest, do you know how many crossings she failed to pay?

Thank you anti, that's an actual case. Which is good for this discussion,, but among the letters she ignored was a summons to court, it's ignoring those which cause bother.as a matter of interest, do you know how many crossings she failed to pay?

Sorry, just remember read your posts, two trips,sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Op I've been down this road and because your a serial offender and they have given you leeway in the past it's unlikely they will do it for €50. Ring them with a more reasonable offer of about €3-500 and they should accept that if your being nice.
    You more than likely won't get a summons but you will get a notice of judgement from the court where they present the case to a judge and the judge gives an order. At that stage it will have cost them money and time and they will want more to settle. I settled a €3000 bill for €1000.
    It was all my own stupidity. Because they let me pay six euro per trip to clear my bill in the past I thought they would do it again so I let a few build up but they wouldn't play ball. Biggest waste of money even.
    P.s they are ****ers for sending the sheriff to repossess. It's the majority of the sheriffs work these days.
    Honestly give them a few hundred or offer a few quid a week till you can get a lump sum to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Sorry, just remember read your posts, two trips,sorry

2 trip would never climb to 2.5k on its own, at that stage you must be looking at a bill for legal costs and sheriffs money etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

I made the mistake of not paying it before as was going on holidays, two weeks late and rang them and apologized and only had to pay the the toll. This was when the fines were more severe.

You will want to offer at least 350 to settle the debt and for the love of God get a tag for your car.

Advertisement