Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average Wage of Provincial Players

• 15-04-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Was speaking to a friend of mine at the weekend who works for Connacht. Reckons their average wage there is now close to €150,000 a year, excluding academy players.

I would have been of the opinion that one play (bundee) would have been on that sort of money.

How much funding does the irfu provide to the provinces? Those average figures seem even excessive for Leinster or Munster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

NDBB96K.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The guy is apparently asking an honest question. That's a **** response man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

patoh1 wrote: »
    Was speaking to a friend of mine at the weekend who works for Connacht. Reckons their average wage there is now close to €150,000 a year, excluding academy players.

I would have been of the opinion that one play (bundee) would have been on that sort of money.

How much funding does the irfu provide to the provinces? Those average figures seem even excessive for Leinster or Munster.

Highest and lowest, an average of 150,000 for a squad of 30 is 4,500,000. Even at 40 senior contracted players it only 6,000,000. I think and it’s open to correction but Leinsters running costs are supposed to be 8-10 million?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Anything between one hundred and one billion dollars. Less if your mane and hooves need regular care.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    Highest and lowest, an average of 150,000 for a squad of 30 is 4,500,000. Even at 40 senior contracted players it only 6,000,000. I think and it’s open to correction but Leinsters running costs are supposed to be 8-10 million?

Running costs hardly equals players wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Running costs hardly equals players wages

Correct. And the highest paid players will be those on central contracts, so won't come out of that budget anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Basically OP, nobody knows other than the players and those inside the IRFU. Player salary's aren't published anywhere, and aren't leaked in the media like they tend to be with marquee signings in England or France. There's speculation in the media around central contracts generally, but nobody knows the real figure and what way the contract is structured.

In fact, sometimes it's not even made clear how long the players contract is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And there's also sponsorship. For example, most senior Leinster players are on a sponsorship deal with car distributors. JvdF with Spirit Land Rover, James Lowe with Nissan, Garry Ringrose with Audi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

What we do know is that St James Ryan plays for free “tis for the love of the game”. Is there nothing this man isn’t capable of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

In an interview with Sky Sports in Winter 2009 or Spring 2010 John Muldoon said that at Connacht the average (uncapped internationally) player on their 2nd contract as a pro (i.e. minimum 2 years as a pro) would be on just over 100k.

I imagine that has increased largely since. So I imagine the 150k is probably close.

It's also no big secret that Bundee Aki's first Connacht contract was for 300k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

^^ This

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Correct. And the highest paid players will be those on central contracts, so won't come out of that budget anyway.

No but if the wages of players are 6 and the overall costs are 8-10 that’s up to 4 million to cover the other costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

International caps sky rockets your salary.

But any player who is uncapped internationally wouldn't be hitting north of 100k until their late 20s at best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

When you talk of those figures being excessive if true - Keep in mind just how short a career rugby is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Yes, I know what the OP was trying to say with the thread title, but "Provential" hurts my eyes.

Can a mod please fix the spelling?

My-eyes-The-goggles-they-do-nothing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 patoh1

Yes, I know what the OP was trying to say with the thread title, but "Provential" hurts my eyes.

Can a mod please fix the spelling?

My-eyes-The-goggles-they-do-nothing.html

It hurts my eyes too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 19 patoh1

When you talk of those figures being excessive if true - Keep in mind just how short a career rugby is.

Completely get that. Just surprised because although Connacht are doing well recently, their average attendance is around 5,000, that’s over 12 home games and it’s a small market sponsorship wise.

I assumed with all the costs (buses, flights, hotels, 20+ staff etc) coupled with the redevelopment of the sports ground, that generally the higher earners (tiernan o h, ultan d) would be around €80k. Not including bundee obviously.

Completely get that. Just surprised because although Connacht are doing well recently, their average attendance is around 5,000, that’s over 12 home games and it’s a small market sponsorship wise.

The national team earnings also fund the provinces. None of them are, I believe self sustaining in their current models. For example, Leinster would not be able to near sustain their squad, facilities, etc if their centralised contracts were on their own books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not sure why people are discussing player wages. Not really something I have much interest in.

First off if your mate does work for Connacht it should be the last thing he is talking about to the public. I am sure Connacht wouldn't be overly happy.

What they earn is kind if irrelevant, the IRFU and provinces have to work within budgets and once that is met then fans should not really care what XYZ is on compared to another player. I only have an issue if provinces are keeping overly large squad and wasting the limited players that Ireland has. Restrictions should be put in place.

The players have a short career, even if they make it to 30's. Some of those players will get mid 20's and career injury and they are out of the game. So for me let them earn as much as possible while they do get the chance to play. Once it not putting the IRFU or provinces into financial difficulty.

No one player should be bigger than Irish rugby.....player will come and go, Irish Rugby will continue on,...so if a player wants silly money then let them go, simple as that. I will always wish them well and hope they are successful once it doesn't hurt and Irish province

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure why people are discussing player wages. Not really something I have much interest in.....

Then why post about it?

p.s. People can discuss whatever they wish (within the rules).

• Advertisement

The national team earnings also fund the provinces. None of them are, I believe self sustaining in their current models. For example, Leinster would not be able to near sustain their squad, facilities, etc if their centralised contracts were on their own books.

Leinster squad is smaller than Munsters....just a small point :D

Facilities are in combination with UCD.....no idea how that partnership works

Last year the 2 Leinster HC games(qtr & semi) in Aviva brought in 1 million per game to IRFU, which helps pay for all rugby in Ireland. IRFU are probably looking at similar money this year again......

Not sure how it works for away semi's but I would guess not as profitable as a home one

IRFU money will increase next year with 4 teams in group stages and hopefully all 4 getting into later rounds.

Then why post about it?

p.s. People can discuss whatever they wish (within the rules).

As per the post I meant I am not interested in knowing how much a player earns....

Is that ok with you?

Leinster squad is smaller than Munsters....just a small point :D

True but Leinster have more than twice the amount of players on national contracts than Munster. And Connacht have zero. That frees up a lot of money for your player budget.

True but Leinster have more than twice the amount of players on national contracts than Munster. And Connacht have zero. That frees up a lot of money for your player budget.

Aki was put on central wasn't he last time he renewed?

Aki was put on central wasn't he last time he renewed?

No. He signed again with the province in October 2016 up to the end of 2019/20. But it was not a central contract. Beginning at 350k, rising to 400k.

(Source: Ruaidhri O'Connor, Irish Independent October 2016).

Although two central contracts free up after the World Cup, when Aki will be renegotiating and I would be surprised if he doesn't get one. Up to the World Cup the current central contracts are:

Sean O’Brien
    Keith Earls
    Rob Kearney
    Robbie Henshaw
    Johnny Sexton
    Cian Healy
    Jack McGrath
    Conor Murray
    Rory Best
    Devin Toner
    Iain Henderson
    CJ Stander
    Peter O’Mahony
    Tadhg Furlong

Best, R Kearney, SOB will all come off central contract after WC.....

Best, R Kearney, SOB will all come off central contract after WC.....

3, pardon me.

Supposedly after the 2009 grand slam there was something between 30-35 central contracts, and Nucifora has been cutting them down largely, as he didn't think it was helping the provincial game. Rumour, but an understandable one.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the perks of being successful and for providing players to other provinces

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No. He signed again with the province in October 2016 up to the end of 2019/20. But it was not a central contract. Beginning at 350k, rising to 400k.

(Source: Ruaidhri O'Connor, Irish Independent October 2016).

Although two central contracts free up after the World Cup, when Aki will be renegotiating and I would be surprised if he doesn't get one. Up to the World Cup the current central contracts are:

Sean O’Brien
    Keith Earls
    Rob Kearney
    Robbie Henshaw
    Johnny Sexton
    Cian Healy
    Jack McGrath
    Conor Murray
    Rory Best
    Devin Toner
    Iain Henderson
    CJ Stander
    Peter O’Mahony
    Tadhg Furlong

If the number of contracts available stay the same , would Aki be in the Top 3 they'd be looking to lock in?

He'll be almost 30 and there are multiple players a lot younger that might make more sense - Ryan , Ringrose , JDV and Leavy (hoping he recovers) would at least be up for discussion I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I heard Carbery's on a lot more at Munster than he was at Leinster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement