Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Classic - Hell of the West

Options

Comments

Wow I'd not fancy a spin over this on "the good bike" :D

Might be worth send a few pals out there with some spare wheels during the race.

image2-e1554756274160-600x475.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd love to be there but

RacingSucks_web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Anyone who has ever ridden Ras Connachta in the past will be well used to the 'gravel ' sections . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone remember the short pave section through kilboy house in the visit nenagh classic some years back ???

The race was on the same day as Paris Roubaix and Rene took it through the country house estate. Fantastic idea in principle with a good smattering of the Dutch sense of humor, the stretch was short and it was something very different to throw into the mix with the climbs.

The road in was bad with some good gaps between the cobblestones and bikes were rattling like crazy. Mine survived but you could see several bikes on the side and riders were cursing after. They didn't do that again. Great memory for me but I imagine it would have been different if I had a mechanical or puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

On July 14th Galway Bay Cycling Club are promoting a road with a difference, a road race with gravel sections.

For more information on the race you can click on the link below

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/gravel-cycling-race-galway-classic/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

You do realise this is on the same day as the Mullingar GP which isin't too far away and has some bog road as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

HOLIDAYS CANCELLED!!

I'M GOING TO THAT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭budgie001

25sean wrote: »
    HOLIDAYS CANCELLED!!

I'M GOING TO THAT!!!!
    You do realise this is on the same day as the Mullingar GP which isin't too far away and has some bog road as well?

Whilst the Mullingar GP has a section of tarmac road that goes through a bog, there is no tarmac on the bog tracks/roads. They are unfinished and are proper gravel and stone. It is a road race with proper gravel sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

It is the clashing of events that bothers me. They are 2 good events and I want to do both. I am hardly going to drive by Mullingar to go to Athenry on the day.
    It is such a pity as the calendar gets worse as the year goes on. There is hardly anything on in August or September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

It passes my doorstep in Ryehill so looking forward to it (as a spectator:) ) Can’t help feeling they missed a trick with the route choice though.

They cycle straight past two of the toughest climbs in the area. Tough but doable, and well known to most Galway cyclists.

One from Abbeyknockmoy church up to the nursing home and another just off the road between Ryehill church and the Roscommon road. (Both very close to each other) They’re in the area anyway and pass both climbs so could include them with little change to the course.

The race description in the article describes what sounds like those two climbs but the Strava file doesn’t include them.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Know these roads like the back of my hand, looking forward to doing the A3 version......but I'm fu@ked if I'm doing it on good wheels. Pro's get equipment for free, I have to spend money that's hard earned for my gear!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm in, hurrah

Jebus, I stuck up a note on the family Calendar this morning, CramCycle in Athenry for the day, with no explanation. My partner didn't ask anything, just clicked OK. Must check what I am down for on the Life Insurance policy, not normally this eager to let me run off on a Sunday.

We have made a few videos of the different sectors. There has been huge interest in the race. Entries are limited to 80 in each race so it will book out. The A3 race is almost half booked out at this stage.

'Carrefour' Sector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAraztoXbk
    'Arenberg' sector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgMIbqkxA9M

You can enter the race by clicking on the link below.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/galwayclassic-2019-tickets-60260827758?aff=ebapi

Finally all my commutes among the N11 cycle path will pay in regards preparation for this :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they throwing in close passes from aircoaches into the race to make it more exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Anyone who has ever ridden Ras Connachta in the past will be well used to the 'gravel ' sections . :D

or the croi cycle from oughterard to moycullen pothole section

Here are a few videos of some of the gravel sectors of the Galway Classic. Races are being limited to 80 riders in each race and are likely to book out so register early if you want to guarantee a spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57w9GPT0haA&t=1s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTAraztoXbk&t=52s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgMIbqkxA9M&t=4s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvpsWE2laI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHLHtD1VMAs&t=9s

You can register by clicking on the link below

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/galwayclassic-2019-tickets-60260827758?aff=ebapi

Hope to see some of you in July

Hey doiredoire, presuming you are one of the organisers. I am all signed up and looking forward to it, just wondering, is it too late or logistically possible to lengthen the A4 race or would you consider it for next year, I think there would be a lot more interest from A4s if it was closer to the A3 in regards length.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Hey doiredoire, presuming you are one of the organisers. I am all signed up and looking forward to it, just wondering, is it too late or logistically possible to lengthen the A4 race or would you consider it for next year, I think there would be a lot more interest from A4s if it was closer to the A3 in regards length.

Designing the routes for each race has been very complicated as the routes are very complex and earlier versions of the routes had the danger of the three races interfering with the other races so we had to make changes and ensure that the races stayed separate.

The A4 race wont be changed this year but it is certainly something we would look at for next year

Next Sunday Galway Bay Cycling Club will be doing a recce of the Galway Classic route. We will be cycling out from Galway to Athenry and then doing the 120k A1/2 route and then back to Galway, 140k in total. Anyone interested in looking over the course is welcome to come along and join us for the spin.

Leaving from Dunnes Stores car park on the Headford Road at 8.30am on Sunday.

https://www.strava.com/routes/19036666?fbclid=IwAR13RtGmjfDswkxYOiWNU56qPwvpNyqBuC9gdeKgZvC4aezEPa55vEJF4n4

doiredoire wrote: »
    Designing the routes for each race has been very complicated as the routes are very complex and earlier versions of the routes had the danger of the three races interfering with the other races so we had to make changes and ensure that the races stayed separate.

The A4 race wont be changed this year but it is certainly something we would look at for next year

Cheers, didn't think it would change this year but, and this is a personal opinion, I long for longer A4 races. This said, I'll come back to you after the race and let you know if I was being overly ambitious.

Cheers, didn't think it would change this year but, and this is a personal opinion, I long for longer A4 races. This said, I'll come back to you after the race and let you know if I was being overly ambitious.
    We would be very interested in hearing people's feedback from the race

Had a look at the videos for A4, some nice narrow bits on draggy climbs, should be good for breaking the race up, anyone from around here heading down. I have booked Irish Rail for the trip as its only a km away from sign on. When does sign on close, and will they be announcing numbers before the day?

Had a look at the videos for A4, some nice narrow bits on draggy climbs, should be good for breaking the race up, anyone from around here heading down. I have booked Irish Rail for the trip as its only a km away from sign on. When does sign on close, and will they be announcing numbers before the day?

Sign on closes at 1.30 pm. First race off at 2.

We have limited each race to 80 riders. At the moment it is looking like the A3 race will sell out. Once we reach 80 riders we wont be accepting any more entries.

It is looking likely we will be taking entries for A1/2 and the A4 race on the day.

Sign on closes at 1.30 pm. First race off at 2.

We have limited each race to 80 riders. At the moment it is looking like the A3 race will sell out. Once we reach 80 riders we wont be accepting any more entries.

It is looking likely we will be taking entries for A1/2 and the A4 race on the day.

I'd expect with payday just gone, you might see the final flourish of entries this week, hopefully there will be a nice crowd in A4 so as to keep the pace up, as well as choke the laneways when people try to break away and give a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

We would be very interested in hearing people's feedback from the race

It looks like it could be epic, need a bit of rain though.

Finnrocco wrote: »
    It looks like it could be epic, need a bit of rain though.

We could do without the rain. The courses are challenging enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

How did it go guys ?

Good race ?

Any punctures, mechanicals or crashes :pac: :pac: :pac: ?

Advertisement