Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This Is Spinal Tap

• 14-04-2019 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Released on this date 35 years ago. One of my favourite movies, just so quotable and funny. Trying to pick out videos to post here but really I could just post the whole movie. I'll limit myself to 3 videos but seriously if you have never seen this movie please remedy that for yourself, it will make you laugh for a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I remember watching it for the first time back in my college days and I think I'm still wiping away the tears of laughter.

None more better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it had a fault it’s that it had too many quotable lines, leading me to lose hours with friends quoting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It doesn't matter how many times I see that Stonehenge part, I still laugh.

Such a classic scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

A film I watch at least once a year, usually when I'm just sitting at home with nothing to do. Certainly in the discussion for greatest comedy of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

A film I genuinely did not find funny until I started playing music; even now its more like a documentary to me than a comedy (even though its hilarious).

It's just sooooo... accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Occasionally when in a cafe or restaurant I'll look at a napkin and I just smile to myself :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It's hard to believe the three main lads are American, the accents are spot on, there are so many moments, the double-necked bass, Nigel playing on the floor and roadie trying to pick him up, Intravenus DeMilo, "Just listen for a minute, the sustain" "I'm not hearing anything" "You would.....though if it were playing", the these go to eleven bit is good but I heard it a million times before I seen the film.

It's fair to say they opened the door for the likes of Steel Panther and Tenacious D, it's also hard to believe the same fella who plays David St Hubbins is that cranky ould bollox Chuck in Better Call Saul.

This is probably my favourtie bit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

And Derek Smalls of course played by Harry Shearer of Mr Burns, Smithers, Ned Flanders, Rev Lovejoy etc etc fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

And Derek Smalls of course played by Harry Shearer of Mr Burns, Smithers, Ned Flanders, Rev Lovejoy etc etc fame.
    And this may be his best moment in the movie. There was 6-7 of us aged 15-16 that watched this for the first time together and we all just lost it at this scene, rolling on the floor clutching our bellies in floods of tears. It was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Didn't Iron Maiden walk out of the British premier apparently because they thought it was about them whilst the lads in Status Quo loved and applauded it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's so good, I notice new gags with each viewing.

If you haven't heard the directors commentary -- from the band, in character -- it's almost as funny as the film itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The scene where two if them are being interviewed and the have the same dirty black cold sore in the exact same spot

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dobly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Marty DiBergi: Let's talk about your reviews a little bit. Regarding Intravenous Di Milo: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth rate of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's...that's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Advertisement