Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using Knorr bouillon paste for beef stew?

• 09-04-2019 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Cooking for approx 25 people on the weekend.... going for a beef stew. Been doing it for the past few years and always just used Beef Casserole / Stew power from Aldi (It's a lads weekend away, they're not picky)

Thinking of using Bullion Paste (from Musgraves) and then use flour to thicken up... will that work or is it just more of a stock, where you'd also use something else?

Planning on using the following:
    7.5kg Beef
    10kg spuds
    5kg carrots

Should be plenty... we'll be out diving all day so will be starving!

Also planning on slow cooking the beef for a few hours the day before, then on the day, cook the spuds & carrots, adding the beef in then.... spuds will take approx. 1 hr to cook (slow cook also) so planning on putting the beef in with the spuds, should be enough time to nicely heat up the beef and tenderise it.

Please feel free to add any tips etc. thanks all! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Cooking for approx 25 people on the weekend.... going for a beef stew. Been doing it for the past few years and always just used Beef Casserole / Stew power from Aldi (It's a lads weekend away, they're not picky)

Thinking of using Bullion Paste (from Musgraves) and then use flour to thicken up... will that work or is it just more of a stock, where you'd also use something else?

Planning on using the following:
    7.5kg Beef
    10kg spuds
    5kg carrots

Should be plenty... we'll be out diving all day so will be starving!

Also planning on slow cooking the beef for a few hours the day before, then on the day, cook the spuds & carrots, adding the beef in then.... spuds will take approx. 1 hr to cook (slow cook also) so planning on putting the beef in with the spuds, should be enough time to nicely heat up the beef and tenderise it.

Please feel free to add any tips etc. thanks all! :)

Just be careful of the amount you use it’s full of salt. I would also cook spuds separately, maybe it’s just me but I have never got the hang of slowly cooking spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

harr wrote: »
    Just be careful of the amount you use it’s full of salt. I would also cook spuds separately, maybe it’s just me but I have never got the hang of slowly cooking spuds.

Thanks. In that case, I might be better sticking with the Aldi powder i've been using for the past few years... it always came out fine and wasn't over-salty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was just going to say dont as they are full of salt, minging things. I thought the same of the Aldi ones to be honest but if it does'nt bother you sure.. Myself id use the Kallo stock cubes, you get them in most stores and supervalue and even with them id use half of one..

Bay leaves are great too for that backround flavour, and of course some Worcestershire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Usually boil the beef til the red is gone, then throw the carrots, onions and parsnip in. Throw in some stock cubes (in your case a few boxes worth!) and oxtail soup powder and let simmer
    Boil some potatoes an hour before serving and when just starting to go soft throw in the stew for the last 20 mins or so

Depends how thick you want it. Watery stew is cack

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never seen the point of cooking potatoes in the stew. I can't see that it adds flavour to the stew and it does nothing for the texture of the potatoes. Unless you're short of pots, just steam the spuds separately.
    (Irish stew always gets a chopped up potato to break down and thicken the stew)

OP, no onions in your stew?
    I don't see why bullion paste wouldn't work fine, but as mentioned, with any stock cube or seasoning packet, watch out for the salt levels.
    Flour would be the best thickener but you will need to work out how best to incorporate it without lumps.
    Cornflour will give a Chinese takeaway like gloopy sauce - please don't use this in a stew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

if you brown the meat first you can deglaze the pan with water and get plenty of flavour from it. I like to use low sodium chicken or vegetable stock in my stew as beef stock can be too overpowering. Also add celery, garlic and bay leaves as well as some good quality tinned tomatoes (and onions are others noted).

The best ingredient is time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I normally just add a bottle of Guinness and tomatoes (to the beef, carrots, celery and leek).

Bay leaves and Worcester sauce as mentioned are great for adding some depth but I would also suggest a couple of cloves as well.

Advertisement