Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Danfoss Heat Pump

• 10-04-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice if possible.

We are in our new build about a year now. We have a danfoss air to water heat pump. We have underfloor heating and the mechanical Heat Recovery Ventilation.

Found our Electricity very expensive over the winter. JUst wondering with the heat pumps is it possible to set them to only run at nighttime, if so will this work efficiently with our system.

We don't have a night saver meter but would like to have one in place for next winter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

philip1526 wrote: »
    Found our Electricity very expensive over the winter.

We don't have a night saver meter but would like to have one in place for next winter

Not having the night meter is the mistake here. You need to get that immediately. Dont wait for next winter. You can get that setup at zero cost just by making a phone call to your provider.

The winter might be gone but your heat pump will still be running between now and winter for hot water, so you will benefit from the night rate immediately.

Found our Electricity very expensive over the winter.

What is expensive?
    Were the bills estimates or actual readings you submitted? Unless you submitted readings the bills might be out by quite a bit considering its your first year in the house.
    JUst wondering with the heat pumps is it possible to set them to only run at nighttime, if so will this work efficiently with our system.

You can but its not advisable. You can tweak it a bit to run more during the night and less during the day but if you tweak it too much you will end up with temperature swings in the house... which you dont want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

... JUst wondering with the heat pumps is it possible to set them to only run at nighttime, if so will this work efficiently with our system. ...

You need to get a night meter straight away, i.e. today!.

Does your system have a buffer tank: if you have then what can be done is that the buffer tank gets preloaded overnight from the cheap rate and then it gets used during the day as required.

Finally, you really should sub meter the heat pump and keep track so if something goes wrong with HP it is picked up quickly. It may have a sub meter built into the display.
    e.g. if you have a 9kW HP then there is a 9Kw heating element in it as backup in case the HP sits down....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 philip1526

Thanks, i rang to set up the night meter so that's done at least

So the bills were estimated for the first few... there was an issue with the way the HP was installed and we ended up with massive bill as it was constantly running.

if we just had the Hp running at night would there really be that much temp swing considering it's underfloor heating and all the insulation etc... in new builds nowadays?

The danfoss user manual isn't very friendly to someone like me that has zero idea what i'm doing :)

Advertisement